What happened to the "star wheels"? | FerrariChat

What happened to the "star wheels"?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RightHandDrive, Apr 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RightHandDrive

Mar 20, 2009
    The original released photos had star looking wheels (with the center part of the star cut out). Photos of this design were also included in the hard covered "brochure" that was recently sent out to people that ordered the car (at least in Japan). But when it comes time to spec the car, the standard not-so-nice-looking 5 point wheels and the optional 20" thin spoke wheels were the only two choices available. What happened to the original design? Was that a recycled design from previous models? Is that an option in the US?

Sorry I don't have the design names for these wheels...

RHD

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Any pictures?

3. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #3 250californiafan, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. RightHandDrive

Mar 20, 2009
    Yes! The star ones do not seem to be available to clients in Japan. Very odd.
    Ordered it with the larger wheels but concerned about the ride.

By the way, is there anything on the owner's page that is not available on the public one?

RHD

5. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #5 250californiafan, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The owners page is a lot of fun, and has much more than the public one. You can view all the options on the car like shields, carbon fiber pieces. On the interior you can change the seat style, the stiching, inserts on the seats and so on. Here is the link to it.....
    http://owners2.ferrari.com/cms/public/dispatcher.do?t=VzGwDp404BHMI1OjcqI1XTWCDrv4WnrX6gNF9PzH6wOouoIQG6wm7eUKB3d%40k6FLj85mXkuOXEsua88AeCgBpOpMW3BeBNbWBxYCtkLva8gjRW839m3sZEYYF%40diaO27Ti3r%40sR0fEnqbnAgkIPing%3d%3d

Here is an example of what you can create, although this one isn't that good looking.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    When I sat down to spec my car I was told the Star wheels are not available.
    No explanation was given. Perhaps in the future they will be offered as an option.

7. V40RaCeR

V40RaCeR Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Ian
    What do you need in order to register on the owners site? Do you need an SN or something like that or can you easily BS if you don't have a Ferrari?

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think you can get a temporary password from a dealer even if you are not an owner.

I remember registering on line and having to provide a chassis number from my Ferrari.

9. MrSweden

MrSweden Karting

Sep 30, 2008
    Hasslö, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Max
    My first meeting with the car at a motorshow here in Sweden and I must say that the pictures of it does not match the real thing at all. It is a beutiful car. And both cars had the star wheels ( pic 2 ) so here in Sweden they are on. Now I jest need more money.

Regards

// Mr Sweden

10. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I got a call from my dealer yesterday that a few new options became available yesterday:
    - 19" forged wheels (I presume these are the stars, but I didn't see a picture)
    - alcantara insert option for the daytona seats
    - electrochromatic wing mirrors
    - front parking sensors

I added the electrochromatic wing mirrors and front parking sensors to my config. I'm sticking with the basic 19" wheel. The 19" forged are the same price as the 20" forged and I'm using this as a daily driver. I have visions of bumping curbs and destroying very expensive wheels. I'm also not a huge fan of the star design, which is what I presume the 19s will be.

11. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    I suppose this means they also have rear sensors so that someone doesn't lower and drop the top onto something parked behind the car... like a Honda.

12. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Rear parking sensors are std in the US. It would seem the car would want to know if there is something behind the car before opening the boot to store the top. It looks like it flips back beyond the back of the car. Not sure if it is this smart though...

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Just talked to my dealer, the 19 inch star wheel is still not available. I decided to get the 20 inch wheel.

14. sting168

sting168 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Do you have the list prices for the Mirrors and Front Parking Sensors? Thanks.

15. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    PM sent

16. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interesting. My dealer said it had showed up in Modis, their online ordering system. I didn't try to actually order them though, so who knows. Enjoy the 20s!

17. sting168

sting168 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Thanks. PM reply.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The reason the Star 19 inch wheels are not available is due to a inherent structural weakness which makes them unsuitable for production.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The Star wheels are now suddenly available. Visited my dealer today and added them to my order.

20. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    Last Saturday, I got a factory tour. My impression was, that about 70-75% of the Californias had the 20" wheels and the rest the (boring imo) standard wheels.
    I didn´t see any California with the star wheels.

Ciao,

Lars T.

21. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm in your boat Lars. The 20's are a great choice imo. I just got done looking through your other thread.....fabulous pics!!