What happens if LaFer battery goes flat? | FerrariChat

What happens if LaFer battery goes flat?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by schein609, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    #1 schein609, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, just took delivery of our Lafer wanted to ask some of the owners...how long does the battery last without being plugged in & what happens if it goes flat. Can you just recharge it or its a bigger issue...

We plan to ship the car on a truck to Pebble Beach but I'm cautious about it being on a truck for 5ish days without a charge.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Loxo likes this.
  2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Personally I can't see five days being an issue. That said ask Frank and consult the manual.

We had no issues with P 4/5 C when we shipped it to Pebble.

See you guys there.

Best

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    IIRC if it goes completely flat, it has to be replaced which is why all laferrari were flown in and not shipped. They should know at Classic if 5 days is a problem. Miller suggested to always have it plugged if you don't drive it for more than 1 day

4. Adrenalin Junkee

Adrenalin Junkee Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Zach
    judging by these pictures, you must be bringing the car from australia?? 5 days is fast on a truck from there!

pshep138 likes this.
  5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I always chuckle at people who have truckloads of money and cant post pictures. Then I think that maybe if I spent more time working and less time posting pictures maybe I would have the LF and not know how to post it LOL.

Congrats on having a great problem my man. ;)

Loxo, TomatoMan, imahorse and 4 others like this.
  6. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The biggest issue is that the brakes lock up and the car cannot be moved.

There is a special wrench in your toolkit to unlock the brakes, but it is not something that you would ever want to do.

Mark

7. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Drive it there - it's a car, after all

cridom60, Camlet1 and Nelsonc275 like this.
  8. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    I heard this as well. Don't know if it's true or not. I've never heard of tesla owners having to replace their batteries if they go flat...

Sometimes driving from NY to CA isn't always possible.

They are as new to the car as we are...see you out there.

9. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I can't see the battery discharging being the reason for that, other than extreme caution. Left as a lump NOT connected typically the battery would self-discharge 3% tops in a month if typical of other li-ion.

I wonder how many active/dormant systems the battery is supporting whilst idle for shipping, if any? And after that post shipping whilst idle?

Does the users battery maintenance plug in give the voltage of every cell individually?

I wonder if the battery constructors thought to allow any possible bad cell/s to be bypassed when charging and discharging. Actually they must have as charging a bad (deep discharged) cell is potentially like priming a little bomb.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good question. Congratulations on your LaFerrari. This is a problem I think most of us would love to have.

Perhaps you should ask FNA?

Absent that and if it needs to be charged in transit- I wonder if there exists some kind of external battery it can suck juice out of or if you are willing to hire a transporter to drive just this car out and maybe it takes extra time but while this person sleeps they can plug the car in- so its getting juiced up over night which should fulfill the charging.

Just some random thoughts from the peanut gallery. Gorgeous car.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This is what we were told during delivery by the dealer.

12. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Fair enough.

13. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Would any of you please care to add a copy of the LaFerrari owner manual to this (or another?) public resource:
    All Ferraris

14. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    If you don't use the car for more than 3 days it needs to be connected to prevent damage but if you use the car every day no problem.

15. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I bought a screen I can swing left or right upside down just for threads like this one. Money well spent.

themediocore likes this.
  16. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    The Owner's Manual says this:

"If you will not be using the vehicle for more than a week, you must connect the battery conditioner supplied with the vehicle. For further information on the battery conditioner, refer to the special manual included with in the on-board documentation."

17. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    When I picked mine up from Maranello (and then drove it back to the UK), I was told 5 days max stationary and off charge - after that it's apocalyptic and expensive! However, the batteries recharge really quickly when on the road and moving.

Either:
    a. Take the risk and be prepared for the consequences!
    b. Drive it there. Or
    c. Stop somewhere nice halfway and unload it for a quick spin around the block.

Let us know what happens!!

P.S. Nice roof! Good choice and worth the wait!

18. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    That's quite funny, but I suppose that's what "LOL" means!

19. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike

Thanks

20. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    I wonder how owners who don't plan on driving feel about that requirement? Are there issues having the batteries always plugged in?

It will be interesting to see what happens when one gets seized or impounded...

21. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #21 Str8shooter, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There must be some sort of UPS one could purchase that would properly supply a trickle charger during transport? I'm not an electrical whiz, maybe such a solution would require an additional line conditioned or capacitor or something, but it seems to me the best way to tend a battery during transport is with another battery.

23. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Mike

Are you having Classic Coach truck it out, or are you using Horseless, etc etc (i.e. a reputable carrier)?

I'm not up to date on the latest DOT rules, but the truck will stop for overnights, there must be a way for the driver to plug the charger in. Unless the truck has team drivers, even point-to-point the truck will sit for at least 10 hours a day, maybe you can improvise or arrange something with the driver.

24. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    The danger is the 480V HY-KERS battery reaching a dangerously low state of charge. The regular 12V Li-On battery is fine, but you can't maintain charge on the HY-KERS battery with an ordinary trickle charger.

If you could get a power socket to plug in the LaF Battery Conditioner...

25. axcl430

axcl430 Rookie

Jan 19, 2008
    Dubai
    To the OP. There is absolutely no issues in leaving the LF sitting unplugged for a week or so. I travel frequently and do not leave my LF on the charger, ever. Just got back last night after 6 days and took her out for a midnight run. Started right away. Hope that helps..

Ali