What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 65 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    A combination of my car being sick, a perfectionist mechanic, and my relaxed attitude.

2. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well,at least you have a perfectionist mechanic. What most people don't realize (or care about) is that life is very short.

3. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    And while I’m doing that I should replace the handbrake light with the LED version, and then go ahead and replace the sway bar and bushing rubbers, and hunt down that ‘last’ pesky oil leak, and then ... ... ...

Archer911 likes this.
  4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    True. I've been waiting to get my mixture sorted (QV) for 6 months - I work a lot and my mechanic is 180 km away, so it's hard to organise. Finally bought a cheap ebay gas analyser and did it myself this evening - it was way rich (which the nose-ometer had already told me), but very satisfying to get done. I've been having a warm idle problem for some time now, so hopefully this will be resolved too. I've followed your other thread, Tim, so hopefully when you get the CIS bits back it'll be sorted. The good news is, it's a very robust system, so once set up, it should be trouble free for you.

5. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Finished my air con referb yesterday, after six years not working, well pleased with myself, I need a gold star :)
    Or maybe a beer tonight watching England beat Columbia at my local brewery (green duck brewery)
    I hope we do win, because if it goes to penalties again for England we always screw it up ;-)

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Aren't you glad you got that wrong! I bet you were a bit stressed up until the final goal.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As long as the car is going nowhere until my WUR and FD return I pulled driver side door card for wiring rehab but of course have gotten into cleaning and reattaching the leather-that old dry glue had to be removed and some fresh Leather Weld will hold things on place nicely.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Replaced my poor horn today including a new compressor. Instead of purchasing a two tone FIAMM 3000 'Ferrari-set', I purchased the very same as a three tone 'Alfa-set' for a fraction of the costs. Now I have the middle tone horn left over. I only installed the lowest and highest tone trumpets (like original)
    I first wanted to purchase just the trumpets, but now I'm glad, that I bought the set including the compressor. Direct comparison of the new trumpets on the old and the new FIAMM-compressor, showed, that the old one has problems, although looking good inside and well lubricated.
    Here's a soundfile of the new setup. Play it loud! (sorry, no pro recording equipment. Just my Ipad :) :

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1YFVt2KxvEL

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

thorn and Archer911 like this.
  10. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That definitely has the sound of authority to it.

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow! That is impressive.

I recently bought a NOS replacement FIAMM Series 3000 compressor and tried it in my car. I got the same result as with my original compressor: weak horn.

I currently have installed modern electric Hella Supertones behind the battery. They are very loud and have an instant response to the horn button.

I can reconnect the stock system just by swapping a couple of spade connectors, but, unlike you, have not been able to get the air horns to work to my satisfaction. Someday I will take a more serious look at why they are not working well.

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello Brian,

did you use your old, original horns? Maybe they are weak too. But I think, that the length of the hose from the compressor to the horns is also of importance. I altered the position of the horns from the center directly behind the grille to a position nearer to the compressor with significantly less hose length.
    Maybe you want to experiment with hose length. If it's still not satisfactory, I would opt for new trumpets.

Since you already have a new compressor, Superformance UK, for instance, sells the two necessary trumpets for roughly GBP 15.00.

I hope your watch works to your satisfaction ;-)

Best Regards
    Martin

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I have not looked at the trumpets or the hoses yet. The trumpets are simple devices. It may be that mine have crud on the diaphragms or something.

Regarding "The Watch": I am wearing it right now. I still LOVE the thing. (For onlookers; both Martin and I own similar Girard Perregaux 8020 Ferrari watches. He convinced me I needed one.:D) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-1997-girard-perregaux-ferrari-model-8020-chronograph-wristwatch.559661.)

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So what is on the front side of the panel to keep from getting all of those clothespin marks on the leather? Inquiring minds and all.

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Haha... I had that same problem when I stalled new vinyl (arg). Looks like he's using tongue depressors under the clothes pins. Wish I'd thought of that.

Archer911 likes this.
  16. Martymar

Martymar Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    Greenville, NC, USA
    Full Name:
    Martin Kean
    miketuason likes this.
  17. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    thorn likes this.
  18. mspelt

mspelt Formula Junior

May 28, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Full Name:
    Mark Pelt
    In the last couple of weeks I removed the intake manifolds and replaced the injectors and seals. I also replaced the 61766200 Relay with/fuse. While the car was on the lift I decided to go ahead and put on the new boot cover and gasket that I had purchased about a year ago.

She is running better than at anytime since I bought her. Love this car! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Milkshaker0007 and Archer911 like this.
  19. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

How many of those clamps did you need to borrow? lol

Jbrauer and mspelt like this.
  20. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Leather is pretty tough. Even old leather. Not a mark left. I have done this before...

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #1621 Martin308GTB, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Replaced my windshield washer bottle pump today. Unobtainable over here, Robert 'crowndog' -a great FChat buddy- sent me the perfectly fitting replacement, which you obviously get in U.S. neighbourhood stores :)
    Works like charm. And fitting was such a relaxing task, after I have tackled my slow, weak passenger side window lifter last weekend :-(
    It works now to my satisfaction (roughly 5 seconds up with engine not running), but the task was -like always- agonizing.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

thorn likes this.
  22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hi Tim,
    I notice you've cut away the perforated leather speaker grills and replaced them with mesh - is that right? What does it look like from the other side?

23. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually that's the way I got the car. Must have been the stereo people who made a real mess of all the wiring—so much so that I replaced the passenger door harness last year and delved into the driver door today. Took this shot before I saw your post. Old mutilated harness on the floor, new harness in the door and awaiting pins to be inserted in Molex connector. I can take a shot tomorrow of the mesh if you like.

24. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Martin: Did you clear out the old grease in the gear reduction section of the regulator OR install one of the electronic fixes as sold on eBay? Thanks.

25. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    So finally got around to fixing a "sticky" antenna and pulled the engine hood struts. Geez, that hood is heavy. Going to send them to Strutwise in Surrey BC for re-servicing. See how it goes.