What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 71 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oh....I don't have the skill....I just pay the mechanic!

Dino246gt likes this.
  2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Didn't you rebuild that when you put the EFI on?

3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No.....and it was ****ed let me tell you....I had no idea! Very lucky it had an oil leak. Total incompetence by the previous mechanic who rebuilt it.

4. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow, lucky. What was the big stuff up? They look like HC pistons. That should work well with the EFI. Going a little hotter on the cams?

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Wow! Can we expect an update on 'that' website soon? :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It already had HC pistons. I'm actually going away from the hotter cams and putting in a set of euro cams like I had on my GT4.

I'll tell you all about the stuff ups next time we talk. Very unimpressed

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Martin,

I didn't know it was famous all over the world! But no...lol....I know who the mechanic was, but I wasn't the client.

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Peter,

what a pity :)
    But without kidding. I would be interested in details too.

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Albert-LP and miketuason like this.
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  14. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Albert-LP, miketuason and Rosey like this.
  15. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Of course that's the reflection of the trailer on the side in the last picture, there's no scratches.

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I carefully replaced the coolant cap. And dropped an Element fire extinguisher in the cabin.

miketuason likes this.
  17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Drove to Cambria, California and heard some noise from the passenger side radiator fan. When I got home, I removed the grill, front bumper and both fans.
    I took apart the driver side fan and then the passenger side fan. In the past someone sprayed dry lubricant into the rear of the passenger fan to lubricate it. It is the motor with the dark colored coil wire. It was a mistake. You need to use specific oil (Zoom turbine oil - $4 at Ace Hardware store) for electric motors on the upper and lower bushings and not grease or dry lubricant.
    Cleaned the bushing areas, brushes are good, lubed the bushings, and re-assembled the motors. Tested the motors with fan blades installed and both sound great.
    Both are original fans based on date codes.
    I also received lower door weather stripping purchased from Mr. Fiat. Matches the original and will be installing in the next month.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Jbrauer and Saabguy like this.
  18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The car has had a tendency to "wander" for a few months now, especially in the 30-50mph range - and felt like I was driving a heavy old limousine made by Oldsmobile in 1982. I replaced the front wheel bearings a few months ago, but this didn't solve the problem. After more diag of the front suspension, decided there were additional issues that needed to be addressed. Finally finished the front-end rebuilding last night.

- All 8 control arm bushings all replaced with new poly bushings. (thanks Jim!)
    - All 4 ball joints replaced.
    - Lower steering shaft removed and cleaned up. Replaced the shaft bushing at the firewall (thanks Martin!).
    - 8 Rubber bushings on the steering rack mount clamps replaced.
    - Discovered steering rack wasn't quite mounted correctly. Fabricated some shims for the mounting clamps, rack is now 100% solid and square with the frame.
    - Steering wheel had a bit too much play; removed 2/4 shims from the steering box to tighten the preload. Steering wheel angle also tweaked a bit.

And "while I was in there" -

- The 2 spare liners were previously removed so that I could get good access to everything under the hood. Liners have been repainted (looks so much nicer now), and now held in place with screws instead of rivets. (Wouldn't make a Concours judge happy, but it's 1000% better from a tech standpoint)
    - Heater hoses were removed and soaked a couple days in Simple Green. Still have some staining on them, but at least they're clean. And smell nice. I'd replace them with pretty new hoses if they weren't unseen nearly all of their life.

It's made a marked difference in how the car behaves... I'm finally experiencing that "go cart on a track" feeling. Hoping to do an alignment on Monday morning, and spend some time on some back roads in the cool air. ;)

Martin308GTB likes this.
  19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Fired up my '76 after it has the stock points replaced with a Crane optical pickup in the S127 single distributor. Had been sitting a couple days but fired with about 1 sec of cranking and now it revs so perfectly from idle to wherever. No hesitation, no hiccups, just smooth, smooth, smooth!

thorn likes this.
  20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What took you so long??

21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    New steel cam sprockets too as the gates had come loose on two of them and all four had play on the cam end. Bad design. Why have an optical pickup accurate to 1 degree and cam pulleys that wiggle 2 or 3 degrees? No more nonesense!

22. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The radio in my '87 GTS would not come on yesterday when I drove the car. Turned out the removable front that has the controls was not making a good connection with the remainder of the radio. Cleaned 20 or so contacts and applied Stabilant 22A to them and now have a working radio.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's going to make a big difference to the enjoyment you derive from your car, speaking from experience

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Either way, switching from points to an optical trigger was like night and day different. The car responds like a DFI car now. I did the cam pulleys because the plastic ones suck and had started to break and were loose on the cam ends. So the peace of mind of not worrying about a plastic cam pulley crapping the bed on a long hard drive will certainly add to my joy. The 1-3 degrees part I'm sure is unnoticeable...of course.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why would I be sarcastic? The first time I did something similar I was thrilled with the results.

Hannibal308 likes this.