What I Saw/Heard and Think | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What I Saw/Heard and Think

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Others please add what you saw/heard/thought as Tom did.

2. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    #27 epdowd, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    #28 11506apollo, Aug 18, 2009
    I have and will always enjoy walking around vintage race cars at Laguna Seca...it's great to see the cars exposed, engines open to the public and mechanics working on them, and wives scrubing, detailing, cleaning cars with a tooth brush (see pic).

Pebble's Concours was the best ever as far as the cars go, although over crowded...and the "walking signs" were bad also..wonderfull collection of Bentleys, though...just beautifull. Lots of foreigners too....I saw/heard lots of Portuguese, German, Italian, French people walking around..

The Auctions (RM and Russo/Steele) were weak, with lots of cars unsold. Saw a Black Ferrari 355 spider sell for $40k at Russo's inside the Marriot.

I am not sure if I will go to the CI next year...maybe will try another Venue that day/Friday.
    Seing 11 GTO's was worth (pic) the admission price, though...

Cheers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Even more annoying than the raffle signs were all the dogs walking the event. It's already overcrowded, let alone tripping over animals. If people want to bring a dog and take up space, let them buy a ticket for fido.
    ed

5. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    And if you wanted to hear Paul Woudenberg's eloquent descriptions of the winning cars at Pebble Beach for the last time after thirty years...

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #31 teak360, Aug 18, 2009
    This car belongs to a friend I introduced to you Sunday Jim, and believe it or not guys, it was on the lawn at Pebble (albeit in the preservation class). Definitely not over restored!

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    yeah, those barn finds were not appropriate for pebble. many of those cars were not preserved but neglected.
    ed

8. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I think the barn finds and also the preserved cars are the best part of Pebble, the obliterated patina, more perfect than original, lawn cars are only part of the preservation notion. Why is it that these different strokes are a debate onFC, they are all valid notions of old car interest.
    Malcolm

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    malcomb, there is a huge difference between patina and neglect. think of neglect as obliterated patina.
    ed

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree. Preservation is different from letting something rot away. Preservation is preserving something in close to it's original state by gently, constantly maintaining it.
    There is nothing Noble about letting something rot.

11. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #36 Moving Chicane, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    I had to be perceived as an elitist, gawd knows I'm not, but I'm still not comfortable with the Hyundai's lined up outside Pebble on Sunday. Just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the overall event/theme.

Jim - Keep them coming and keep being patient with all of us who admire your collection and the time you dedicate to it/us.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #37 Napolis, Aug 19, 2009
    There was one Lexus lined up at Pebble that I did find intriguing. I think P 4/5 Competizone would look good with a Rondrel like that...

13. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    #38 ggjjr, Aug 19, 2009
    If you wanted to find interesting owners/car handlers willing to spend however long you wanted talking about the cars, you could find it - as always.

If you wanted to find wine at the tasting rooms at half off, you could find it.

If you wanted a seat (sans wait) for yourself, wife, stroller and baby on the shuttle from Carmel to the show and back, you could find it.

If you wanted to find the best collection of the year of books, etc, at the races you could find it.

If you wanted to find a baseball cap at the races with this year's logo - forget it.

If you wanted to find hotels in Carmel that had increased prices and lost ALL their regular tennants and now had vacancies, you could find it.

If you wanted to find the clearest day I have ever seen in Carmel (Friday), you could find it.

If you wanted to drive right in to the race track with absolutely no wait, you could find it.

If you wanted to find a place to picnic while watching some of the world's most incredible cars go by mere feet from you, you could find it.

Great weekend.

Jennie loved it too.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Photo!

So true about the Hotel's and their prices which were silly.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Best of Shows---predictable. The Siata was deserving.
    Ed

16. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #41 Moving Chicane, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    Interesting journey the LF-A concept/racer is on.......

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Do they allow camping on the beach?

18. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Some non-Ferrari models sold for record highs this weekend. If you're not a Ferrari collector, I'd say it appeared more like "business as usual" - there was plenty of money in Monterey this weekend, they were just not focusing on Ferrari.

The Tuesday Conours on the Ave. was FANTASTIC. An extremely well attended show, which begs the question "Does anyone who lives in Monterey actually work during the week?"

Quail felt more crowded than it was last year - probably more like 3500 guests. The food was not as good as last year. I thought the show was excellent, though.

There were still so many people at Pebble that you could not see the cars between 11AM and 2PM. Things mellowed out nicely at 3PM. There was really only one contender for "Best of Show", so there was no real surprise when the Horch was announced.

19. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I did not see anyone play "fetch the ball" with their designer canine, but I thought it was strange to see so many of them being walked around.
    I was mildly amused by the poodle that was sitting inside the Delahaye. Its blue ribbon matched the main hue on the paintwork. It would have preferred a dye job, silver and blue spray paint across the white fur. That would have made "PETA Best of Show".

Quail was awesome, with the German tent being my favorite (could have lived without the pig head).
    Did not go to any of the other shows this year, and next year I am bringing my Ducati to get around. Waiting for the stupid lights on HWy1 was silly. Normally, with big events...CHP shows up and adjusts the timing of the greens.

20. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    I went to the Monterey weekend every year from 1977 to 2001 (OK I missed 1991). I was trying to recall, with the exception of the first few years, has a post war car ever won Best of Show at Pebble?

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

21. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Jim......

Sounds just like Las Vegas......heh. Got back yesterday from a 4 day stay. Great post BTW.

22. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I believe 1968

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How was the AFAS art show? Did anyone catch it?

24. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    A commentary as entertaining as it is, no doubt, accurate. Thanks!

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the summary for those of us in far away places! My list of events to go to is growing rapidly....