What if Toyota’s Hydrogen engine succeeds? | FerrariChat

What if Toyota’s Hydrogen engine succeeds?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kingjr9000, Nov 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    So here’s my thought. What if someone spent $40-50 billion on establishing 7,000 or so hydrogen stations on three continents: North America (excluding Mexico), Europe, and Asia. Four questions regarding this hydrogen empire beginning:

• How long would it take until manufacturers make hydrogen vehicles (Fuel cell and Hydrogen combustion engine) and would consumers actually buy them after the automakers start building them?
    • Who would gain money from this? The fuel station company (shells, bp or the like), the hydrogen producer (Linde and the like), or the person who put up the money for the fuel stations?
    • What would be the opinion of the person who put up the money for the fuel stations being built in those countries? Would he be seen as an idiot, or someone who is trying to jump start and get a solid grip on what could very well be the new fuel empire?
    • How would we acquire the hydrogen? I know steam reform could be okay for some time as long as the C02 is recaptured and perhaps made into synthetic fuel. (That could actually work.;))
    Would Ferrari make a hydrogen engine, or just stick with batteries?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    After reading all the questions above, I would like to add one. Who pays for the death when a car generates a hydrogen leak? The vehicle manufacturers? The fuel station? The hydrogen generator? I would like that determined first, then see where the investment goes. So, I park my hydrogen car in the garage, it develops a leak, the hydrogen fills my house while I sleep, the refrigerator relay kicks on and BOOM!! Gasoline doesn’t really have that level of a problem.

3. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    I found this article from Hyundai. Hopefully this answers the garage question.
    https://tech.hyundaimotorgroup.com/article/what-makes-the-fuel-cell-electric-vehicle-safe/

technom3 and ddrewesusa like this.
  4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Those with the deepest pockets. Have you not learned how are legal system works? :D

ddrewesusa likes this.
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Eureka! You've invented perpetual motion! The world is saved!

(Having no free hydrogen available on this planet is the reason why hydrogen is going nowhere.)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Please explain this in greater detail so those hell bent on the saving the planet might understand. :)

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    How old is that paper? The reason I ask is because I doubt some vehicle companies would be working on various hydrogen applications if they didn’t know something. Kawasaki and Yamaha are also working on a hydrogen motorbike.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I am not sure, but I see these challenges still being an issue. They work on these because what they know, in my opinion, is that NO ONE will be able to afford hydrogen fuel cells and the full systems integration for a personal vehicle. So, when we go to a society where no one will own a vehicle, the government will have an open checkbook tax money to pay the cost of a single vehicle and we can schedule the vehicles. I think this is why they are investing time and money. I’m not going P&R here but I think this is the only way to afford this kind of cost and legality structure in the end.

Texas Forever and energy88 like this.
  10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Around 2014 I believe.

kingjr9000 likes this.
  11. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Okay. Thank you.

12. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    What are you guys’ opinions on geothermal energy to power the hydrogen production plants? Or even geothermal in general? Including EGS?

13. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Some random comments.

Hydrogen is just a poor fuel, low energy density, hard and dangerous to store in large quantities. I could see green hydrogen being used close to the generation plant, ie with CO2 captured from a fossil fuel power station for methanation to produce synthetic natural gas. Not exactly carbon neutral, but increases the energy production per unit of carbon emitted, this I think is where we should look as the scale is so large that we can’t stop using high density fuels like coal, oil and gas until a substitute (carbon recycling in some form or another) is available.

Ammonia is being touted as the form for safe and stable transport of hydrogen, but I am not sold on this, something doesn’t add up. Generation of hydrogen from anything other than water and renewable energy is fiddling the books in the context of saving the planet.

Hydrogen is a powerful reductant and a key element in hydrocarbons which have excellent energy density as a fuel, so synthetic hydrocarbons with CO2 recycling makes sense, just need the technology to catch up.

tomc and Texas Forever like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Same situation as when a gas tank ruptures and it goes boom? Did you read about what happened to that lady in Vegas and the Football player?

hydrogen dissipates before it can act like a habachi.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think hydrogen will lose out to pure electric. Just a guess

I can definitely see H2 for industrial and airplanes.

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    I think you have no idea how large, and how heavy, hydrogen storage system are -- but "future-future-hopey-changey"! I know, let's use Dilithium crystals!

Texas Forever, Auraraptor and JTSE30 like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Did you even read my post? I said I think pure electrical will WIN.

So thank you?

As far as kaboom, I can name you many folks that have perished from a gas tank fire in the car.

Can you name me just one, (Just one) person that died from a hydrogen tank explosion from a car?

:)

18. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Can you name me just one, (JUST ONE), person that was confirmed to be abducted by aliens? Just not enough of a sample pool to draw a conclusion.

Similar to I don't need to know that the saw will cut my fingers off, I just know at some point, if my hand contacts a rotating saw blade, that my hand will be cut off. I have enough circumstantial evidence to say that it is a reality.

Do you know how many labs have blown up and injured people due to a hydrogen leak?

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Your challenge would make sense if I was the one claiming UFO abductions or that if I put my hands to a saw, it would be the saw that breaks.

I'm not the one claiming that hydrogen tanks in cars are more dangerous than gasoline ones; you are.

Pardon me for asking for evidence (not circumstantial, by the way.)

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm personally for whatever is cheap. As I say, one of my favorite words is "Free."

My neighbor got a geothermal installed. I think they'll make back their money in about 10 years. After that, they'll save $$$.

I understand, some (most?) folks don't think that far out. What can I say, I admire Americans like Warren Buffet that have time horizons longer than just say 2 years.

kingjr9000 likes this.
  21. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    You guys…this is a thought experiment, one to wonder what would happen if someone put up the cash for the stations.
    For those who think you would only get around 150kg hydrogen per station, this an is update to the government’s analysis.

With the best case/cheapest scenario, the price for a 1,620kg station would be 1.9M per station.

https://www.hydrogen.energy.gov/pdfs/21002-hydrogen-fueling-station-cost.pdf

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There is a lot of drunkenness for Elon, but to his credit, he is the richest man in history. I mean, unless you're also one of those that say he's a farce?

23. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I was just getting the pot stirred up for debate!! But, I was putting to the contention that their are approximately 1 hydrogen to 100,000,000 gasoline vehicles in the world and therefore your point is incorrect. The analogy was correct. We have zero data to back up your claim, just as much as there is zero evidence that someone being confirmed to be abducted by aliens. Both are preposterous and that was the point.

I do have data on gasoline vehicles causing death just as much as I have evidence of Hydrogen explosions in laboratories. Also, to claim that the saturation point (i.e. dissipation) of the hydrogen would make a hydrogen explosion moot, is also preposterous since where is your data to show the design of the vehicle versus the leak point versus the lower limit of explosion of the hydrogen in that area? Put that together with a crash, and the statement seems even more preposterous. Both designs have flaws, but a pressurized tank of hydrogen large enough for lengthy travel creates quite a bit of explosive force.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Your claim: Automotive hydrogen tanks are more dangerous than gasoline ones.

I'm a simple man, asking a simple question.

I have not seen a single piece of evidence that proves this claim, but I'm open-minded, hence - I simply ask for it. If you provide it, not only will I retract, but will agree with you.

If you can't provide it, that's on me?

Strange way to debate.