What improvements next for FerrariChat.com? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What improvements next for FerrariChat.com?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What improvements next for FerrariChat.com?

1. Bring back online Ferrari trivia.

2. Complete & updated Links page.

3. Complete Registry - Online registry with model info, history, and pics.

4. Enhance board software to allow Full Name to be listed on post with Username.

5. Enhance board software to allow multiple pictures per post.

6. FerrariChat.com Consultants - Rewarding those with expert knowledge in various areas like technical

7. Ferrari Historical Timeline.

8. Monthly articles to be included in the newsletter.

9. Online FerrariChat.com store for shirts and other logo items.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just thought of an idea or idear for you Boston people.

How about I move many of the FC links from above right (Sponsors, FerrariAds.com, Race Team, Research, Model List, Parts & Service, and Links) to forum links like the Old Archives and Post Count Update are today? We could move all those links to the top even. Just an idea.

I also want to explore tab links like Pelican Parts and also maybe a drop down link menu.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    per good feedback from users, I removed the Thread Rating ability as no one was using it and it look another column up in the thread listing.

3. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    How many people want the vintage section split up in 3 parts, general, specific and technical? I think there is not much difference between general and specific and not much traffic in technical so 1 vintage section would be enough and faster to check all the new posts because I still want to see them all.

4. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    And maybe it is possible to include the size of pictures in the HTML code, that way the space for the embedded pictures is already reserved, so the page doesn't keep jumping up and down until it is fully loaded. At least I think so, not an expert.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Rob, LEAVE IT ALOOOOOOOOOONE! Leave it be brother. You are already up to your ears with taking care of this great little site of yours. Why would you want to create more work? For crying out loud, you just finished changing this thing and now you wanna do more. You are nuts. Believe me when I say the site is just fine how it is right now. We are very happy with it, at least I am anyway. It took me a little bit to adjust to the new format, but now that I have it's fine. Relax enjoy the FerrariChat 355 Challenge car. I say waite until the summer next year to see what things need to be fixxed, THEN mess with it. But for now leave it be.

6. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Rob, the site is by far the best thing that ever happen to Ferrari owners! As I am completing a full ground up restoration on my 308 I would be lost without all the countless recommendations, tips and help I receive from fellow Chatters. I was on a Jaguar Chat for years and can tell you who spent how much on their car and what kind of wine they drink! Who cares! Ferrari Chat members are true car lovers and show it each time a question is answered. Congratulations on your success and hard work!

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Rob,
    Another site I frequent is www.gm-trucks.com

They have a different layout, different features. Some things good, some things not so good. Give them a look, and maybe you will see something you like or something you see that doesn't work for us. They are not just a forum.

One thing that stands out is some of the signatures are HUGE and at times distracting. Also, you can only post pictures linked to somewhere on the web. A good thing is the articles, and many catagories. But they are run by about eight guys.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, it's been awhile since we did this and I'm about ready to start some new projects.

Here were the highest vote getters in order and a current status for each...

Enhance board software to allow multiple pictures per post. 83 30.29%

Complete. This was implemented a little over a week ago.

Enhance board software to allow Full Name to be listed on post with Username. 43 15.69%

Complete. This was implemented early this week.

Online FerrariChat.com store for shirts and other logo items. 31 11.31%

In Progress. There will be an online store with t-shirts, polos, jackets, hats, and etc. with the FerrariChat.com logo. It will be a secure connection and allow you to purchase with credit cards. I hope to have this ready by end of March.

Complete Registry - Online registry with model info, history, and pics. 28 10.22%

In Progress. Not sure which direction I'm going with this yet. Either I will be getting existing software, hiring someone to do it, or do it myself. I want to get started on it ASAP with target completion date in June.

Complete & updated Links page. 26 9.49%

I'm thinking about actually getting rid of the links page. I don't keep it updated and there are plenty of sites that maintain links pages. Search engines are the best way to find something.

FerrariChat.com Consultants - Rewarding those with expert knowledge in various areas like technical or historical. 25 9.12%

In Progress. I have the program well defined and already have about 20 that have signed up. I might even make the Consultants page open to the public by this weekend.

Ferrari Historical Timeline. 17 6.20%

This isn't a priority, this is driven more from my historian urges, maybe someone else will have a bigger urge and do it first. After doing the registry I might just integrate a timeline into the system. 2 birds with one stone.

Monthly articles to be included in the newsletter. 11 4.01%

In Progress. Introduced User of the Month this year and will start including many user written articles. By end of year I imagine a very professional online periodical with 4-6 professional articles a month. Please let me know if you're interested in being a writer. You will be compensated.

Bring back online Ferrari trivia. 10 3.65%

This isn't a priority. Again, might make this part of the registry and timeline system.

---

I know there have been several suggestions for improvement of the message board software. I think we have any major issues (multiple pics & full names) out of the way. I can slowly work on the smaller issues, but I really want to concentrate on some of the above projects.

Comments?

Thanks,
    rob

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Rob, have you considered using a drop-down menu for the set of links beneath the logo? That in itself would allow the pages to minimize properly. (Currently, those links stay in a fixed position while the rest of the page collapses to desired proportion).

Folks, if it gets deleted, as Rob indicated is a possibility - I saved the "Links" uh, link as an html file in case someone misses it.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, I want to do that, I just don't have my plan together yet. Technically it's easy, I just don't know how to organize them yet, you can't fit too many across, so I need to combine in a drop down. How about this...

> User Controls
    - Options
    - FAQ
    - Members List
    - Calendar

> Sponsors

> FerrariAds.com

> Race Team

> Resources
    - Research
    - Model List
    - Parts & Service
    - Links

> Search

> Quick Links

> Log Out

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I agree with Willis360. We need to bring back the full names again. That was a nice feature of the old site.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Look to the right of your avatar

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Doh! I'm an idiot. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Is this a good time to discuss groups and subgroups? If so here a couple of comments:

- We talked in the past about splitting the Racing group up in active racers and armchair racing.

- How about a group for replicars and rebodies? Recently we had some good long threads and I'd like to see all that information collected in one place for the next time somebody brings up a P4, Mc Gurnie, 250 GTO Velorossa or whatever discussion.

Just my dos pesos.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The search engine is there to find a complete thread list in one place for a particular topic. Also, now that you can bring threads back to the top, even though they haven't been posted to in several months, I think we may have a single thread on one narrow topic that might come back to the top for decades. I believe that we should only have forums + 1 past being crowded. Someday if there are 20,000 users we may need a couple more forums.

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Not sure how you would take to this, but in respect to the registry, will you link up to registries already on the web for specific models? I'm mentioning this not because of mine (well, actually yes), but there are the 330 Register, 250 Registers, etc...

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Rob, think the site is great, but was wondering if the idea of having a dedicated "New and Prospective Owners" section has been discussed before. I've been on another site where they had this, and it was really useful to parse questions related to the following topics (which we seem to get a lot of):

(1) Good price for xxx car?
    (2) Best place for a PPI inspection in so-and-so-place?
    (3) Low mileage Model 1 at so-and-so price vs. high mileage Model 1 at so-and-so price.

And other such related topics. You get the idea. I think if all of those types of questions were put in this category, it would make the most sense.

Let me know if this has been kicked around. Again, only offering this up because I know it worked so well elsewhere.

Regards.

18. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    My top suggestions:

Fix the search engine. It does "whole word" and some other things that cause it to be fairly ineffective. For example, "garage" doesn't find everything that "garages" does.

Split out more eras that just vintage. From the prior thread on this, I like:
    • Vintage (1947-1974; Daytonas, Dinos, and earlier)
    • Classic (1974-1995; 308 and Boxer through 348 and Testarossas)
    • Modern (1995-later; 355, 456, 550 and later)

Then General and Technical can be left for non-model-specific stuff like comparisons between supercars, Fiorano laptimes, awesome garages, and of course bikinis on Ferraris! ;)

I think that would help a lot... for example, there are some great threads in Technical that I would not want to miss... but the bulk of the 3x8 activity there does not interest me at all. I imagine there are plenty that aren't interested in all the 360 discussions going on. And so on.