What is a good compression? | FerrariChat

What is a good compression?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DanielGA, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I just did a compression test on a (very) cold motor of 1982 Mondial 8 (basically 2v 308 motor).

Got average 147, stddev 8, min 137, max 159.

Also just pulled motor for several reasons including EFI and Supercharger.

Is that a good compression or do I have to do rings? 32k miles and in general very good shape.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A750GN using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    The engine has to be in pristine condition before adding a supercharger. Next up is a leak down test to determine if valves are leaking or perhaps, less likely, broken rings.

3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Give it an Italian tune up and retest. Don’t let car temp drop between readings. Good compression is consistent.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I wouldn't be exited about putting a blower on a 2 valve injected car with the poorly designed ring package Ferrari used in them no matter the compression results. It was more about poor oil control than compression. Put a blower on it and you will likely just have an 8 cylinder oil pump.

2NA likes this.
  5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Brian - Thank you for your expertise and experience.

If I may, did Ferrari change the ring package for some reason during the transition from carbs to injection, circa 1980?

Curious as to your thoughts as to the reason why the 308's 2-valve injection engine run has since earned the bad rap as oil burners, compared to the earlier and the later iterations.

Thanks and Regards - DM

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Since earned? Where have you been. That reputation was carved in stone since 6 months after they came out.

Simple. Its called an intake plenum.

7. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    In any case, adding a supercharger or a turbo charger to any engine not so designed is asking for trouble. Factory forced induction engines use much stronger internals, block and often overlooked is the cam profile of forced induction vs naturally aspirated. Further, its likely to cost about the same amount as it will depreciate the cars value and possibly make it sale proof. The reality is, if you want a faster ferrari, you buy one.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    While I agree with most of the rest the Ferrari F40 had no stronger a block, crank, connecting rods or pistons than a standard 308.

2NA likes this.
  9. Leonardo Mangiolino

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Mangiolino
    Do the dry and wet test and leak down test to determine if you have any issues