What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I have the chance to pick one up but the dealer im talking to is pretty firm at $180k over sticker of $447k. That is just absurd to me, I love the car, but he's also offering me way under sticker for my 812. I love how these dealers operate, so Im thinking of keeping my 812 and just buying the pista, but Id like to know more about prices you've seen them trade hands at bc $180k over sticker is just ridiculous. If thats really the going rate now im going to have to think about just getting an aperta.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No idea, but that sounds like 911R-hype pricing to me...

Aren't people saying the new rear-mid flagship debuting later this year is going to be in the $600K range? How could you rationalize such a price for a Pista given what the new car will likely be?

Facelift due in a couple months, flagship debut within a year... I can't see any staying power for that kind of premium. Speciales sell for MSRP, not $180K over MSRP, and at least the Speciale is something somewhat of note -- NA.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    627k??? Wow.

4. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Get the 812. It’s a great car

5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #5 boobernackle, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Offer them what you feel is fair and wait 30 days once it doesn't sell for $180K over MSRP. It's not a limited production car and not the last NA V8. Values won't hold well like the 458 Speciale did.

Everyone on this forum will give you the garbage rumor sales prices from "first hand" experience, which is primarily from dealer marketing/hype.

The Pista, as great of a car it is, is not as highly regarded in reviews as the 458 Speciale was.

DEPZ, F2003-GA, F50gta and 5 others like this.
  6. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    0 over sticker which is what it’s being offered in HK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    When I got my 812 a few months back they were barely getting $40-50k over, I paid $30k over. I don't know where this $180k over came from but its the only pista I've seen pop up on ebay and it happens to be near me.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Please post some pics of your 812 :)

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So how many more 812s do you think there are than Pistas? If you really want a Pista then just wait a year and you will get one for $40 or $50k over MSRP and in two years they will be MSRP. Give yourself some time with the 812. In a year there will be more choices of spec and maybe some more interesting new Ferraris available.

10. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Wait about 8 months when the 6 month “no selling” agreements begin to expire and the flippers start putting their cars up for sale. If you want to be one of the first people in the country to have one, then you have to pay the huge premium for that. Those types of buyers are rare, so only the first few sellers can hope to get that kind of money for their car.

Thecadster likes this.
  11. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    Is there such a thing as a "reasonable price" over sticker?

Graz and Thecadster like this.
  12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think a reasonable price is msrp but you are going to have to buy a lusso or Portofino.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Exactly, they give you a choice on how you want to take your depreciation. But you have to pay the Piper somehow to get it.

09Scuderia likes this.
  14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So in a few months the dealer eliminates the $30k over you paid and then low balls further to way under sticker. You've lost enough (he's made enough) on the 812 deals to warrant the Pista at MSRP - again assuming same dealer.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The problem with dealers it’s always the same. When it’s time to buy- the market is hot. The car is hot. We are asking a premium. When it’s time to sell or trade- the market is soft.

No way around it. If you want the latest and greatest, gotta pay to play.

16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    $627k and 180k over is just crazy. You could probably walk in and get a new one exactly to your taste by taking a 80k hit on a Lusso. At least you get to enjoy a few miles on the Lusso for the pain. Sounds like it will be 3000+ production, so in the long run (after the latest/greatest car excitement is gone) I expect prices would drift towards where a decent speciale would trade (so say 350k-400k), possibly a little lower as it seems to be splitting opinions already.

This is where Ferrari's new pricing policy is going to show up. A 5 year old Speciale might still be close to MSRP, but the Pista launch price will feel excessive if most cars are trading well under msrp in a few years. My guess is that it will encourage owners to keep trading up to the next one to avoid taking a big hit which will generate the demand and $s for Ferrari, but that will leave market feeling pretty heavy.

Randyslovis and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Really?

This post displays terrible reading comprehension.

Matt

Natkingcolebasket69 and Viperjoe like this.
  18. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    To OP...$0

Graz likes this.
  20. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    Friend of mine was able to get a Pista build....had to also buy the new california...his plan is when the California comes in he will sell it as new at MSRP and get the Pista at MSRP...

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Selling it back to dealer to on secondary market? Hopefully he can get his money out and be whole.

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It actually depends on offer and demand - if everyone resists the market will eventually be more reasonable.
    The fact that dealers can try to sell with some conditions (buy another car or buy over MSRP) just shows that not all cars were allocated at MSRP to preferred customers.
    So in spite of what has been claimed the production exceeds the number of interested preferred customers (who were offered the car at MSRP) - this doesn't bode very well for future value.
    There are cars available, and dealers just try to get the maximum money of them - it's not a real difficulty to get cars.
    Regarding the Speciale, the second hand market has temporarily benefited from a peak of the valuation of most prestige cars in 2015; after these unusual circumstances, Speciale now sell close to MSRP and nowhere close to 100K more, let alone 180K more.

23. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    reasonable price is how badly you want it! You will not find one for MSRP.

24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    That is an interesting point of view. So you are saying the people who bought a Lusso or Portofino or both were not preferred customers and were only given the option because a preferred customer that was offered at MSRP with no other strings demurred?

ScottS likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I don’t necessarily agree with your assessment of the relative availability. I want one, but can’t secure one. While I am clearly not a “VIP” client, I was special enough to secure a new 812 order. However, I was given the choice (briefly as it was time sensitive) of doing the Portofino for a Pista maneuver, but decided not to. Probably should have just bit the bullet (or the $50,000 hit as it were).