What is a Twin Turbo 360 worth? | FerrariChat

What is a Twin Turbo 360 worth?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marko@SupercarTuning, May 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marko@SupercarTuning

Jun 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Marko Djurich
    I just bought a 2001 F1 360 and am in the process of fabricating a twin turbo system for it. The car has 21k miles on the clock and is in very good condition. The build will cost me about $25,000-$35,000 installed. Would the car be worth $145,000 when running? It will make between 500-550 RWHP and be as much of a daily driver as it is right now.

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As a rule, you never get your money out of aftermarket whatever when selling a car. And especially so with high end cars.

3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Since such a car on resale would only appeal to a VERY limited group of buyers I think it would probably be quite a gamble to expect to get your money out. I may be wrong but I think it would decrease the re sale value of the car.
    Would be interesed in other's opinions.

4. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Probably be worh $10k less than you bought it for ;)

G

5. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you were installing a proven, marketed turbo system -- aking to Dinan superchargers on BMWs, -- then I think many buyers would view it as a bonus and pay some premium to have it. This assumes, they feel the owner hasn't driven the shift out of it, and that reliable documentation on the build quality and durability of the turbo system is accessible (eg., like checking Dinan websites).

In contrast, if you custom build your own twin turbo and install it, I think you won't gain any premium when selling and will probably take a hit. The reasons are (i) your twin turbo project will likely encounter lots of problems, (ii) those problems may affect the runnings system, (iii) people will think you've driven the shift out of it, (iv) there's no source of reliable, objective, documentation to assuage the buyers mind, and (v) if/when they break down there will be almost no dealer, or source (besides the single custom designer) that can readily service/fix it.

So, my advice is: if you want to do it, consider it your project, but not necessarily a project any one else will relish owning. My advice comes from my own experience when I worked with custom designers to supercharge my BMW M5, when no other systems were available.

Whatever, best of luck and enjoy your project!

6. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    The car will not be worth anymore than what you bought it for, probably less.
    There's no market for 360's with turbos on them. Those that want it, would have it done to a stock car.
    If you personally want to have that setup to keep and drive it yourself, by all means go for it.

7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    You'll likely not get the answer you're looking for on this forum. The folks who tend to hang here are more-or-less purists who _mostly_ love the cars as they were build. Carbon fiber bits, new wheels, aftermarket exhaust systems... all fun, help personalize the car and don't have a measureable effect (either way) on resale.

Twin turbos... that's a whole other story. Now you're muking with the plumbing and if I came across your car for sale on a website, I'd hit the back button pretty dang quick.

There are probably other groups of car enthusiasts who'd appreciate (respect) this type of tuning more than the Ferrari crowd.

If you change your mind and decide to not install the turbos... perhaps you could sell them to the guy in the UK who made a stretch limo out of his 360 :)

Frank

8. sezme

sezme Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    sezme
    lol!

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    He needed a "lift" not a "boost" unless the boost can give him a lift!!

10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now you're stretching the truth...

11. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Ha ha :)

12. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Ha ha but very TRUE... A mod like that on an exotic will scare off most buyers and reduce the value significantly.

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If anything I would consider Supercharging instead of turbo charging. I would heed the warning that this is purely indulgence and not something that most would likely give you much back come resale, you'd really restrict the potential market who would want to buy it. Personally I'd love another couple of hundred HP but i did own a tuned R34 GT-R in a former life :)

Some tuners have fitted turbos to the 360 but they have all mentioned big problems with heat soak. Its very difficult to get all that heat out of the engine bay when you twin turbo it. Most tuners now agree that supercharging is the way to go.

Also if you really wanted to twin turbo the 360's engine it would be big money. Firstly Ferrari's pistons are pretty high compression ratio so you'd not be able to get much boost without detonation and you'd definately need some big intercoolers. Also the great thing about the 360's ecu programming is that it has RAZOR sharp throttle response. It would be tricky to keep this, even with piggy back ecu mapping on top. I know Koenig did a TT engine but eventually most who started out TT'ing went Supercharging, its not only better for heat problems but also doesnt have the same lag problems.

14. hi-revr

hi-revr Rookie

May 2, 2007
    St Louis, MO
    If I were able to drive the car after the install for a few hundred miles I could give a better opinion on it's value.

15. burnout04

burnout04 Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Malibu/Dubai
    especially with such high miles, the car will probably not gain any value. Most ferrari people panic when they see high miles, on top of that, they also panic when they see the word *modified*

16. mooseclipper

mooseclipper Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Hawaii
    Hubert888's F360 modena twin turbo I believe has over 4000 problem-free miles on it with the twin turbo setup last time my friend asked him.

17. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    leave the 360 as is. Buy a 996tt to get your turbo fix. Would cost you less in the long run.

18. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

What shawsan said....very true.

19. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I am not sure what it will be worth, but you will drastically limit the number of potential buyers. I would not consider one, at any price, period. I agree that a 911TT would be a much better platform. It's different platform. The magic of a car like the 360 is not it's speed, it's the coordination of the entire package. A turbo package would affect many aspects of the car, including the appearance of the engine and the exhaust note, and I would even say it's lack of torque. Part of the charm is the need to keep the high-strung engine screaming. If I simply wanted speed, I plop in a 650 hp dry sump Chevy small block and call it a day. But it's not that kind of car.

Not discouraging you from your project, just being honest.

20. Marko@SupercarTuning

Jun 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Marko Djurich
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm not afraid of losing money modifying a car, just wanted to explore the possibilities of breaking even. Either way, The 360 is one hell of a Supercar. I think it would be even more so with 650+ HP while maintaining a very usable powerband. It's just so hard for me to accept being pulled on by an E55 or a new Z06. That has to change.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 360 is the new 308. Modify the hell out of the thing, drive it, break it, fix it, then drive some more. Don't worry about resale value because stock 360's are dropping in price anyway. So what if you can't get that extra 20k on resale. Just park it out in the feild when your done with it and let it rot if you don't wanna take the loss on resale. Ferrari and modification in the same sentance is like oil and water....

Just have fun with it. It is not some mystical thing from the plant mars that knowbody understands. It is just a car, mod away and enjoy yourself. Why save it for the next guy?

22. lndshrk

lndshrk Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    SLC, Utah
    Full Name:
    Jim Conforti
    Don't use a piggy back.

Tune the OEM ME7.3.1h ecus.

Yes, it's possible :D

Jim

23. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would line up a spare motor. When you pop this one you will want another one. I think that expense pales in comparison to resale. I have a Z06 and yes it is faster but not near as cool. I bet you could buy a Z06 for what it would cost you to turbo your ferrari.

24. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Interesting to have you on this site. Good info.

25. lndshrk

lndshrk Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    SLC, Utah
    Full Name:
    Jim Conforti
    I owned a 2006 Z06.. Made GM buy the POS back.

Short version: worst car I ever owned. period.

Slightly longer version: sell short on your GM stock.

;)

You can turbo a car w/o popping the motor but it takes knowledge and
    restraint when doing the deed.

Jim