WHAT IS MY 308 WORTH? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WHAT IS MY 308 WORTH?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ROCKY1634, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I take issue with M. James saying GTB's are worth less. The published values often say so, but in the real world I think QV GTB's in the US bring as much or more than GTS's. I sold an 85 GTB in 2002 with 40K on it. It was a nice car, but hardly pristine. Went for 36K in less than a week and I had back up buyers. The same car reappeared on the market this year at a higher price and sold pretty quickly again. By contrast I previously had a very similar condition and miles 84 GTS and struggled to get 34K for it. QV GTB's are rare as hell in the US with well under 100 cars here. Many were turned into track cars or GTO look alikes.

My guess is a Euro is worth less, an 83 is worth a little less than 84-85 and if it has metric wheels that would be another deduct. If the conversion is high quality and it can pass emissions, 35K might be possible.

Dave

2. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Ha, funny topic. I have the same discussions with 911 owners on the subject of Coupe vs. Targa. It's a well established fact that 911 Targas are not as sought-after as the coupes (although many will argue with me). From what I gather, the opposite is true with the 308 line. While the lines of the GTB are much smoother than the GTS, it would seem that most buyers want the removable roof. Perhaps this is because Ferrari did a very good job of integrating it, as to not terribly distract from the looks of the car.

Either way, the value of a car is directly related to the number of cars available, and the number of people looking for that particular style. In other words, there are less people (from what I can tell) looking for GTB bodies than are looking for GTSs. However, there were fewer GTBs made. I would say that it would probably be more difficult to sell a GTB than a GTS, because fewer people would be looking for them. Sellers looking to sell in a hurry would be then forced to offer a lower price to entice buyers. If they waited, then they would probably be able to sell at more of a price closer to the GTS models. So, the quick sellers may artificially deflate the value of the GTBs due to the increased difficulty in selling them.

I have a real world example of this right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2445307201

This fellow needed to sell his car quickly. He had it listed in the FML for $38K, and decided to put it on eBay during a holiday week. The car was sold for about $8-10K less than I feel it was worth (notice, I was outbid :( )

-Wayne