What is my 360 spider worth? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is my 360 spider worth?

Discussion in '360/430' started by spEYEdr, Apr 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not to drag this too far off-topic, but yes I am always amazed, especially by the guys who trade in and out of the supercars in short periods of time. It's one thing to be able to buy those, but another to be able to lose that much in sales tax every time you get a whim.

Back on topic - if anyone is looking for LASIK around LA, spEYEdr is the man! Best thing I ever did. :)

2. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Only a 2% drop? You've taken good care of her.:D

3. TZL

TZL Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2003
    Atherton, CA
    Lol...for $85k i'll cut you a check this weekend...seriously

4. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    I'm not up to your skills (which are the best I've ever seen), but I spent my college years working as a car detailer.

Now, I have put away my favorite polishes (Menzerna, Optimum) and my Porter Cable and Flex, and all I do is wash and wax. I'll save the real detail work for you.

For me the thing to prevent swirls on these Ferraris is a wash with a foam gun and then drying the car with a leaf blower -- never touching the paint.

If I get a 430 spider, I'll have you detail it. If I keep this 360 spider, then I'll have you detail it. Either way, I'll be driving a sweet ride (without swirl marks!)

5. somedayaurora

somedayaurora Karting

Feb 16, 2010
    The dealer can offer you anything . He hides the value +/- in the sale price of the other car . That being said I would have to agree he is pricing it wholesale , maybe he's planning on dumping it at auction . If he's trading wholesale to retail , he's a smuck . His job is to make you feel comfortable with the numbers . Ask him why you should sell him your car at wholesale and buy his at retail .
    SDR

Oh almost forgot , I had lasic done in Canada in '01 (9yrs ;D) when it was illegal in the US . Great procedure , 20/20 and I needed glasses to drive before .Seriously life changing , ie: swimming for one , night vision improved . Actually 20/15 in one eye. ( that's better than 20/20 )

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Well normally I'm not one to sit and defend dealers, but buying at wholesale and selling at retail is what pays the bills of overhead, salaries, insurance, carrying inventory, advertising.

I'm not surprised at the "offer" from the dealer for the trade in- and no one has to take an offer then can negotiate from there or walk- but at least with folks like us as a sounding board the original poster would go into the deal/negotiation with eyes wide open. I.e. for the trouble of advertising the car and showing it to people, he'd probably pocket X, with X being greater than whatever he could negitate for the trade. I think the car is awsome and would sell quicly for X (with X being in the $90's in my opinion), but everyone's situation is different with that they decide to do- trade vs. private sale, 360 vs 430, etc....

7. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    I think your missing the point on the 360 sale price, it's the least of your concerns since the swing is only $10K-$15K according to posts in this thread.

No offense Doc but why in the world would you pay list on a 430 when there are a gazillion of excellent 430s out there for half or less?

8. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    +1

Did the 360-430 switch and at twice the cost, I would have never done it.

9. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    You have a good point -- and I agree, I don't want to buy a new F430 for list.

I am looking to pick up a 2007 F430 spider from an Fchat member who is consigning his car via a Ferrari dealer since he has moved to Hawaii.

The math is looking ugly, even if I get $95k for my 360 spider.

$165k for F430 spider - $95k for my 360 spider = $70k
    Plus, California will nail me with 9.75% tax on the full price of the new car = $16k
    Plus, annual registration in Calif will be $3k+ (and dang it, I just paid the 2010 registration for my 360)

total cost to me = $89k
    and that just doesn't seem like it's worth it.

As Jim Glickenhaus put it in another thread: "F 430's are cheap and getting cheaper because there are more sellers than buyers, there were a ton of them made, many are coming off lease and are worth less than their residual so they're being dumped by the banks that reluctantly now own them, and the 458 is coming out."

looks like I'll sit on the sidelines and wait!

10. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Oh my gosh- the registration is insane!!! $3,000 for the year!!! After reading this thread I really do feel better about being in NJ. Except we don't have as nice of weather. Or as many pretty women. Or as many exotics. Or as many.....well, I guess you get what you pay for in life, be it bills, taxes or registration fees :)

11. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It sounds like the OP has already made his decision, but I have my .02. The dealer should give you at least 80 for the spider, and I really think that you could get a good 90 for it privately. You ought to be able to pick up a nice 430 spider for 150-155 (naturally depending on the year and miles). Go for it. You only live once and the world is coming to an end in 2012 anyway. Bear in mind, I am not the best person to listen to for fiscal responsibility advice!!!

Ciao!

Ray

12. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    Sorry, I misread your post to mean a zero miles 430 at list. Let's look at the $90K spread.

360s will be going down as 430s go down. When will the spread be closer to $50K? $75K? That's a tougher call since you are dealing with two markets which may not move in parallel.

The way to close the spread may not be the way you want to procceed but first, sell the 360 ASAP. Then wait until the 430 meets the spread you feel comfortable with.

Best of luck!

13. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    your car is stunning.. don't sell it..

14. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson

You should be grateful...here in Ontario,Canada it's 14% sales tax!!!!

15. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I just did a cars.com search for 360 spiders cars and the asking prices are insane, to me at least. An 04 with under 10K miles, red/tan, 6sp in the upper 130's. I can't imagine anyone is paying those prices. Are they???

16. ACW44

ACW44 Rookie

Jan 1, 2010
    Ontario

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    This is a bit against self-interest because I'd love to buy his car, but... if he did as you suggest, he'd be Ferrari-less for some indefinite period of time, and will have let go a very nice car in the interim!

18. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #43 jjsaustin, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    Like I said originally - Two 360 spiders for one 430 spider?.... Bad Deal!

19. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    There's the rub.

He has to pick between optimizing his purchase or satisfying his urges. Considering all of us have been Ferrari-less the vast majority of our lives...

20. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    This is exactly why I will have my 355 for a long time. Are there other cars (such as your spider) that I might rather have? Yep. Am I willing to pay the difference? Nope.

21. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I agree, I did this myself. Sold my amazing 360 (black/black, Daytonas, Tubi, Challenge wheels) planning to get a 430 and have been Ferrari-less for almost 4 months.

The depression and withdrawals.....