What is the appeal of the worn looking leather jacket? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the appeal of the worn looking leather jacket?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Dec 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A thicker liquid. It’s used in sign making and car pinstriping. They should have in any art supply or hobby shop.

Matt

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Any opinions on the stock True Religion leather biker theme jacket
    Just bought this used. It seems very high quality, very soft leather (lambskin?) It came with patches attached, one referring to maybe a fictional motorcycle club, and there is one that says MALIBU, maybe that's assuming the company is based in Malibu (but founded near Long Beach). One controversial thing to me is that it has an American flag but that's grayed out (OK dirty) and somehow (call me Old Skool) with both military patches and the flag I have a hard time thinking of besmirching it even if that goes along with the vintage look (like those guys at auction houses that dirty a car up again that's going to be sold as a "barn find.")
    I am going to add a Ferrari name logo patch to the front and a copy of one of my Ferrari paintings to the back though I guess since it's starting out with a motorcycle theme on the back I should be depicting a motorcycle cafe racer (except that I have nothing to do with bikes) I also wonder about the Ferrari patch--should I besmirch it to fit the grayed color of all the other patches?
    I am also going to post it on Craigslist.com to sell as is, maybe I could buy 2-3 other jackets for the price of this one...will post pictures of it
    converted to Ferrari -tifosi support role. By the way it is XXL size but I am 6' 175 lbs. and fits me so I think they're adding one to many "X's" to their label sizes

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that could get you beat up by a real motorcycle club!

:)

Matt

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My "vintage" replica A2 is an Avirex.
    Cloth cotton.....

To the OPs question on the leather ones, I think RL is riffing on the REAL 1942 examples, which are now rare (or as posted above by our member, if it's real, you earned it)…...but the original was for bomber crews over Europe in WW2, and they were tough as a tank! Not surprising they would last so long...

Certainly a lot of them in the 50s and 60s were reused as biker jackets, and gave rise to the specialized styles of today.
    I think Avirex is still around??

I always liked that in REAL military gear you really don't find much of a trademark label.
    It bears a color label stating what "Mil Spec." the garment complies with.

Even the dress shirts do......

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think they focus on RIVAL colors, in Waco...…

West Coast hipsters are pretty much ignored......