What is the best 3x8 series? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the best 3x8 series?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricardo, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Speedy- Do you have a sound file of your car?

Basically, I am looking for a cheap(20 to 25k euro) fun ferrari. I am disapointed with today´s cars, because I think you have to go too fast to enjoy them. Most of the times driving modern cars end´s up being a frustrating experience.

One of the most fascinating things for me is the sound of the ferrari´s. I read that carbed 308´s rev to 7700? can this be upped? what about qv´s? What is a realistic cheap power upgrade for these cars?

Out of curiosity, as anyone willingly "downgraded" or bought an older f car coming from a modern (post 348 era) car? Why? More fun?

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "I am disappointed with todays cars, because I think you have to go too fast to enjoy them."

Then you don't need a Ferrari, you need a Model T. ;)

Just remember that the overhead on an old Ferrari is more than most cars,
    and even a 25k euro 308 can have problems come up that cost a small fortune.
    So be prepared to have additional funds available if 25k is all you have.

As far as the rev range on a stock carb 308, every dyno run I have ever seen, shows a drop in power before 7700 rpm.
    So if you wanted to run at higher RPMs you would have to have cams that shifted the power band, more of an all out high RPM racing motor that would not have a whole lot of torque in the street-able range.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    The model T is not a sports car!!!! :)

What I am saying is that comparing old and modern cars, the modern cars have a really high limit and this makes you go faster to reach it.

I am not saying that I would not prefer a 355 or 360 because of this, but that´s an all new ball game....

But, to sort of prove my point, how many of you would prefer a f40 to an enzo? or a daytona to a 550? or even better a 60´s racer? These are less modern, less performing cars, aren´t they?

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Compare old vs new in the same price range.

308 carb or qv vs Porsche boxster? Anyone own/driven both to compare? I have drive a few boxsters, but the only Ferrari I have driven was a 348ts and that was unfortunatelly many moons ago....

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've got to agree here too on the GT4 (big surprise). I also want to add that I've read that the GT4 is lighter than the GTS model cars, which probably has partly to do with it's better performance on the track (along with the longer wheelbase, better handling, etc.).

Dom

6. Mark308GTS

Mark308GTS Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mark Shuman

I recently traded my Boxster for my first Ferrari - a 308 QV. The Boxster was a fun car, but it just didn't do it for me like the Ferrari does. The Boxster is just as quick and handles well, but it just doesn't have the looks, sound, or smell of the Ferrari.

7. Ricardo

Ricardo Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    What was your boxster model?

Is your ferrari a euro or US spec? GTB or GTS?

Reliability and maintenance wise how do the 2 compare?

8. Ricardo

Ricardo Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    How would you rate Mondial qv´s and 3.2 against your gt4?

9. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    In answer to the original Q it is rather budget dependent. I was looking at the cheaper end and wanted the "classic" feel/noise of a carbed car - so no contest for me... a 308GT4. After a lot of fettling over the winter (it had stood in a barn for too long!) it is improving with each drive as it gets used to being used again.

Highlight of the weekend just gone: I set my friend off down one of our favourite twisties in my GT4, with me tucked in behind in a top down Z4. I knew the sound was great from inside but from behind! Petrolheads should be paying me to overtake them! The icing on the cake was the tasteful flames from the Tubi as he went down the box. I can certainly recommend following your car at some point...

Ricardo - My preference was for the older GT4 over the Mondial for the reasons above, but I guess others will think the opposite.

10. Mark308GTS

Mark308GTS Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mark Shuman

The Boxster was a 2001 regular version (not the S) and the Ferrari is a 1984 GTS QV euro version. I've only had the Ferrari for a few months so I really can't comment on reliability. The Boxster was under factory warrantee and I had no problems with it. As far as service goes, I can tell that the Ferrari will cost a lot more. The Boxster has a recommended oil change service every 15,000 miles or 1 year and the 30,000 mile tune up is about $800. I just had a 30,000 mile service (the car's second at 66,000 miles) which included a few other minor issues and cost about $5000 - which I considered part of the price of buying the car.

I knew that the Ferrari probably wouldn't be as reliable - it is 20 years old -and service would cost more, but it's a Ferrari. The driving experience, for me, is so much better that it's worth it.

11. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Fully agree with Dom and Robert Garven plus I will add: less engine BS