What is the best 4-seater F-car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the best 4-seater F-car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sjb509, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The car in your profile looks like a Mondial 8. The engine may be different but the body is the same. If that is your car, do you think your car is ugly? Just curious.

2. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This just in... My dream of a 4 seat F car 360 2+2. Hey we all have dreams

3. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Quote: "The car in your profile looks like a Mondial 8. The engine may be different but the body is the same. If that is your car, do you think your car is ugly? Just curious."

Its not an 8, its a 3.2 cabrio. Its the top I dont like on the 8..actually on any mondial. I think it makes it look bulky and out of proportion. Front also looks slightly different. The fact that the mondial 8 is a coupe combined with the different engine aspect is why it would not be MY first choice. Its all a matter of opinion though. Ive talked to a lot of people who say they think my car is ugly but LOVE the 8.

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    "Its all a matter of opinion though."
    Of course

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If it's an 85, it's not a 3.2. You (should) have a 3.0 QV in that car, unless it's been modified. Essentially the same motor as the Mondial 8, just with the extra valves in the head structure. The body detail (bumpers, lights, etc) is virtually identical beween the 8 and the QV. Other than the drop top and a badge, there's nothing to distinguish the cars externally.

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    and the same bumper and front end treatment

7. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    #32 abarre, Jan 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Casey, not to argue, but your "3.2" and my '88 3.2 look quite different. What gives?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Quote:"Casey, not to argue, but your "3.2" and my '88 3.2 look quite different. What gives?"

It was modified after a engine rebuild in '95, long before I bought it. I should have been clearer, its just a 3.2 engine. So your right, the body is the same as the 8. As I stated before though, its just the tops I dont like on the mondial. I think the bodies fine.

9. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Well, you got quite a few comments on this one. Guess you gotta be prepared for that when you mention that you find someone else's car "ugly" (but I respect your honesty!). But hey, at least Mondial owners can have a polite conversation about it. No flames or silly name calling. Isn't there a Mondial club of some type? If not, there should be. Seems like a good group.
    Take care,
    Sam

10. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    If you are truly looking for a 2+2 you really have only 2 choices from the cars you listed...456GT or 456GTA. Even though it would be tough to use a back seat in a 456 for much more than storage or small children, The 308 GT4, Mondials and Maserati have even less space. I would take a real look at all of them you will notice that with a normal (5'8" or taller) driver there is no way a passenger of any size is going to fit in the back with both driver and passenger enjoying any amount of comfort. The older cars have slightly more room 250 GTE, 330GT 2+2, 365 GT 2+2, 365 GT4 2+2, 400....

11. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Exactly-360 and E55AMG next year :D

But the 360 will be the daily driver, and the merc for carting the family around...

12. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #37 jack, Jan 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A Maserati Coupé Cambiocorsa...
    A used car with low mileage: best pleasure/price ratio!
    Sure it is not a Ferrari but you will not be disappointed at all, you will have a more modern car than a 456 GT and you can save your money for a 360!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Great combination!.. and safer and more practical for the kids ;)

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    what he said. Audi RS6 cant go wrong there.

15. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I wanted to give this old message a bump to see if any new member would like to add their two cents. After several months of additional contemplation and a few looks at other vintage 2+2s, my personal choices might be changing as well. The 456 will probably always be my favorite, but it will be a few years down the road before I can get into one.

Therefore, after searching the archives, reading through some old books I've found in used bookstores (why would anyone sell a Ferrari book, BTW?), I have decided that the car that would provide the best fit for practicality and relative affordability would be the following cars:

400A: I know, I know, common thought is buying one of these is just asking for trouble. High maintenance bills, two of everything, rust...their reputation has it all. They are very affordable to buy, good ones in the mid '20s. Truth is this car has really grown on me in the last year. The automatic, should it ever shell out, can be rebuilt at Joe Blow's Transmission Repair for pennies compared to the manual. For the driving I would probably do, the auto would suit me fine. On second look the interior looks romy rather than sparse, and elegant rather than just old. The simplicity of the car would also allow me to work on the car myself, carbs and all. Please someone, talk me out of it.

3.2 Coupe: No auto available, but it does have body color bumpers which improve the looks of the car a great deal. Still don't care for the interior, but if child seats fit, its on the list. Again, some home maintenance is a viable proposition. QV coupe in the right color (Silver or black) would also be an option.

412A: I assume the transmission is the same in the 412 as it is in the 400/400i. They look better, IMO, and have a slightly better interior from what I've seen. They are also even more rare and sell for more. There is one at Ted Vernons in Miami right now for under 30k, so who knows?

If anybody would like to throw their experience/opinion in here, it would be appreciated.

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    SHHHHH. I also like the 456!

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Depends on what you want to do.

The Mondials are good sporty GT cars. The 365/400/412/456 cars are great long distance touring cars. If you want a drop top, the Mondial cab is the only way to go.

All of these present an affordable entry to the Ferrari world and they are all great cars. The PF build quality on the V12s is much better than the same year Scaglietti cars. Remember, these were the most expensive cars minus the supercars when they were new.

Tremendous bang for the buck if you don't buy a basket case.

18. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I think you'll be fine with any of those options. You may need to be picky about the car seats you buy, though.

The main issue will not be the baby seat... but rather, which car creates enough passion for you and your wife to justify the issues (like maintenance and inconveniences).

Our 911 cab turned out to be great at carrying babes... while the seats with big fat bases don't fit well... and getting the kid into a permanently mounted rear-facing seat would be a PITA...

A carry-seat works great. Putting it in with the top up is hell... but if you just put the top down, the low-slung car lets you easily just lift the seat over, set it into place, and reach down and buckle it in. Cake. Then put the top back up if needed.

I wish Ferrari (or Maserati) would make a new 2+2 spyder... I'd buy it in a sec.

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would try to drive both. They will drive completely differently-- judge4re does a good job of describing the differences, but until you actually go drive one I think it's hard to comprehend how different they actually are.

The Mondial is much more of a sports car with back seats, for better or worse, while the 400/412 is more of a GT car. Very different feel.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. But you're right, they are very different cars and until you actually drive them, you can read 15 different opinions and none of us will agree on anything except the fact that they are fun to drive.

21. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have a 208 GT4, and have driven a 3.2 Mondial and a 456MGT.

The GT4 is the most exhilerating due to the noise and lightness. That makes it huge fun on twisty roads, but not so good for long journeys.

The Mondial was larger inside and more refined, better suited to long journeys but ultimately less fun.

The 456 had simply towering performance was very refined indeed and generally deeply impressive in all areas. Also, if it were my children on board, I would be happier with the better crash protection of the 456, but then it is the most expensive option.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    One more data point, but your milage may vary. Of the three that we have, Spicy and I agree that the 365 is the best of the fleet.

23. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    I'll have to say the 456 GT although I've never driven one.
    A quote from a Swedish car magazine, "Perhaps not the world's greatest family car, but what a family car!"

24. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You must have slept through it, they already made that car......30 years ago.
    308 GT4 :D

25. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Make sure you sit/drive in all of these cars being considered. Extreme example which is now off your list being the 365 GTC/4.
    The back seats in those i doubt anyone could fit in.
    I have a 3.2 Mondial coupe which is very roomy in the front. However my wife and i cant fit with a child seat as we are both 6' tall.
    I thought the Masi coupe had the best room inside when you consider the back seat.
    Again You must drive inside all of these.
    Whats acceptable to others may not be for you.