what is the best exhaust to get the ferrari sound out of a 456 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what is the best exhaust to get the ferrari sound out of a 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by crmlcruiser, Sep 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    what a sound, no filter is pure heaven

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    No they are not: they fit, but they do not look right.

3. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    My 2003 456M has an X-OST, but no x-pipe. I am very happy with this set-up.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  5. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    My 2000 456M has a Capristo that sounds great at idle and isn't screaming painfully at speed. The best of both worlds IMHO.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  7. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    #32 sambomydog, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    I have never heard or seen any videos of an impressive 456 doing a fly by at high revs. Does not matter what system they have on them, i find that they are fantastic and second to none at low revs. But high revs....
    Just look at youtube at all the ferraris doing flybys, there is NEVER an impressive 456. I find this very surprising because its a V12 for gods sake and one would expect a high pitched musical note from this classic engine. Has anyone got any videos of a great 456 fly by that can equal or better say a 348/355 F50 ect? I would love to see one.
    I had my 456 GTA for 4 years and loved it so much in every single aspect. But it was just lacking so much in high RPM sound. My SL55 sounded better than the 456 V12.

8. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am happy with the easy fix of removing the center muffler, but I just got my hands on a set of competition tubis!!! Just bought them today should haver them on next week.

I can't wait to hear the car with the tubi and no center pipe. I will let everyone know if its too lound without the center pipe........Doubt it though ass I love the scream of my 355.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- It will be loud, but probably not too loud. You will get the lovely low back pressure bark on upshifts and burbling and popping on dowshifts and overrun. It will have a mean sounding idle, scream at high revs, but will be livable at cruise. It will not sound like a high wound v8, but like the big mean V12 it is. Make sure you change your coolant every 2-3 years to keep those heads cool.

You will love it. Not sure about your neighbors, who hopefully can take a joke.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #35 F456 V12, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My old 456GT is pictured in post #16. Canna di facilli, 575 wheels. I started out with stock, then went to a straight center pipe...just went to a muffler shop and had the center resonator cut off...$150 with a made to fit and removable if necessary back OEM.

That seemed to give the car a thumpy sound, but not what I wanted. I then went off and made myself a "proof of concept" rear set of pipes...just the pipes - no silenser, bought a set of tips, made some hanger brackets at the OEM points, bought some stainless clamp had it welded up...worked well enough. What I got was a much louder system, virtually straight pipes. A little loud at start up, just fine under normal driving, but when you got on it, the car came alive, sounded like a Daytona coming down the straights at Laguna Seca. A month later, I bought a pipe only set up from Tubi

MB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    You cannot interchange 456 and 550 rear boxes/pipes. The bolt flange is larger on the 550.
    Same size pipes and overall length but the 456 standard boxes have a pipe before going into the box whereas the 550 flange is directly on the box.

12. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    They look like 19" wheels, and therefore 2" greater than factory spec. Is the ride noticeably harsher?

13. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael

Well I put on the comp tubis... I was wrong though, I do need to put the center muffler back in..... it is soooooo loud!! I do love the sound but even at an idle it rumbles throughout the inside of the car. When you step on it the whole inside of the car vibrates.

I dont recommend anyone putting on tubis without the center muffler unless you want to be pulled over everytime you get within earshot of the police!

Back to the shop one more time and that should do it.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- Everything is a compromise. Some 550 owners discovered the same thing with staight pipes and Tubis. Your competition Tubis may be even lower back pressure than the Novitec Supersport sound I had on my 575M.

At least now you have a set of straight center pipes you can sell to some lucky 456 owner here. Plus you understand both ends of the exhaust spectrum from practical experience.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Finally got it dialed in.... competition Tubis and keep the center muffler...PERFECT!
    Great 12 cyl rumble at idle, Roars when you floor it but pleasant inside the car at all speeds!

I love it. Thanks to everyone for the help, advice and information....CHEERS :)

16. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have an '02 45M manual tranny car- I have a set of Tubis but am not sure if they are comps or regular Tubis- Does anyone know how to tell??

For sure the car sounds great at start up & shakes my whole garage, but I definitely don't hear the wailing I'd love to hear at speed- Maybe people on the sidewalk do, but I don't

Michael says he's got it perfect w/the Tubi comps- I'm wondering if I put straight pipes together w/what I'm assuming are standard Tubis what will happen---???

17. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I imagine it will be a little loud inside the car like mine was with both straight pipes and tubis. one thing I can tell you about the comp tubis is the low rumble at idle has just the right combination of noise level and deep pitch that if you idle slowly down a side street it is rather easy to set off the odd car alarm as you pass parked cars..... I found a new way to entertain myself ;-)

18. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    the best exhaust sound to get out a 456
    is a
    Capristo

19. Georgia456gt

Georgia456gt Rookie

Apr 8, 2009
    atlanta,ga
    Full Name:
    Jonathan lowman
    I agree-I have a capristo on my 456 and it sounds great.I don't think you will ever hear the wail inside the car as you do with the mid engines

20. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    #45 alex550575430, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Hello Terry,

Here is my 456 MGT with F430 wheels.

Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What kind of mods/spacers do you need to put 430 wheels on a 456? They look great!

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Those do look great. I love the 430 wheels and would put them on my 575 if they were wider.

What did you use for front tires?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. snowblindfriend

snowblindfriend Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2009
    West Texas
    Novitec NF2s are such a beautiful wheel. IMHO I don't think any replacement wheel is even close to that good looking. Makes me wish I had a 456M!

-sbf

24. NICO R

NICO R Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Woodbridge
    Full Name:
    Alex A
    all the system are great, however for the price and workmanshp, x-ost is far the best bang for your buck.

25. RMP348

RMP348 Karting

Dec 18, 2006
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    X OST, is great, excellent build quality and sound is amazing! Have X OST on both my Ferrari and Maserati!