What is the "best" Vodka and Olives for Martini's | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the "best" Vodka and Olives for Martini's

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by peterp, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    For vodka, Stoli. Has a great creaminess to it. Too smooth and there's no flavor. For gin, Tanqueray, Saffire, or even Beefeaters. Good to keep a rotation. And of course, large queen olives with pimento. I use Merzetta (sp?) currently. Not super expensive, and haven't noticed a difference with more expensive brands. If there are better out there, I'd like to hear about them.

I read an obituary recently which described the woman as loving a "screaming cold martini" I want that in my obituary, as well.

George

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I must have a VERY different palate. And? Tito's must have had at least a couple of bad batches. Both times I bought a bottle of Tito's, I found it harsh (sharp, in the manner of gasoline mentioned above), whereas I LOVE Grey Goose for its smooth taste & creamy mouth feel. I also like Belvedere, as it is also quite smooth & has a similar mouth feel when chilled.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Interested, David. I mostly drink goose when out on the town as the delta in price is minimal. But, for buying a bottle, Goose is $65 here (1.75l) to Tito's $32 normal, often $28 sale. I can barely tell the difference between the two. I can tell, just not by much. And I only drink rocks or dead dry martini's so I'm not covering it up.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Dave, I just may have to give Tito's one more try. It has been a couple years. Hard to do though, when Tito's isn't priced much differently than the Goose here, when the Goose is on sale.

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I decided to try some Tito's vodka over the weekend. Just had it in vodka tonics but it was good. I think I still like Kettle one better but I didn't find that the Tito's had a bad bite or anything negative. In fact I thought it was a bit plain if anything. Then again I generally prefer gin and tonic but was compromising with the vodka for a friend.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - give it a try on the rocks - the tonic masks the taste :)

I just stared phase 1 of South Beach (again) so nothing for me for another 1.5 weeks.... :) :(

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I should have mentioned that I tried a little taste of it just in a chilled shot glass. It was smooth but I didn't think it had a whole lot of flavor and certainly not harsh or any bite to it like David mentioned.

8. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Crystal Head is my favorite, no vermouth and a little dirty with a couple of Queen Olives with Pamento.

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#34 NbyNW, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    I love Chopin for martinis. And a nice one out of Richmond, Virginia is Cirrus Vodka. Both potato vodkas which are our favorites. Not a big fan of Goose or Belvidere. And I like onions instead on olives. Many onions are too sweet - like Santa Barbara brand which are everywhere. Haddon House is our favorite brand for onions or olives.
    Edit... we always use Martini & Rossi brand vermouth. Hope we're supporting their race sponsorship. Great to see Williams Racing with Massa and Bottas. And it makes a tasty drink!

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There is NO best vodka for a Martini.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree and olives just take up space in the glass better occupied by something else.

12. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sapphire gin. Queen olives (plain). Pour the gin into a shaker over ice. Set a bottle of good vermouth on the table. Shake the gin, and pour over the olives in a martini glass. Let sit for 2 minutes next to the sealed bottle of vermouth (so they can get to know each other). Put away the vermouth and proceed to drinking.

13. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If you're going to drink vodka, put a glass of Tito's in the freezer, then serve with cornichons.

14. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Goose for me, or Wyborowa if it needs a bit of kick.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

True, but it gives you a good reason to make another one because you got gypped on the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk