What is the best year 355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the best year 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Hemiragtop, Nov 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If it is in the budget, the 99 355 is the route to go. Most of the gremlins were gone by the final year of production. I have owned a 95 B and 99GTS. The 95 was forever expieriencing some type of issue. The 99 has been 21k miles of relatively trouble free driving.
    On another note, 5 horse power in a 3000 lb vehicle will make absolutely no discernible difference.

2. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I currently own a 1998 F355 but have previously owned a 1995 model.

3. freshyip

freshyip Karting

Oct 28, 2004
    New Territories, HK
    Full Name:
    freshyip
    hello!

thank you all for taking part of this conversation!

so at the end, so..is it still the later the better? :D

regard, OBD1 and OBD2...i believe you all have your resonators removed while installing your exhausts? how are you going about to pass emissions test? do anyone have pics of this?

and you said something about the spider version? do you have a pic since it has a limited number?

overall, i want a 355, that has the least problems, and also has the best out of it, it will be my 1st Ferrari since i was in love with it ever since the 1st day i got into automobiles. thanks in advance for all your help!

btw, this car would be bought in Hong Kong..thanks! ;)

Regards,

freshyip

4. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    One thing to keep in mind is the often considerable price difference between a nice 95 and a 99 - In the US the price range is ~70K to around 120K. That's an awful lot of money, and it will buy a lot of repair work if it ever needs doing.

I just bought a magnificent 95 B, and for the extra 50K a 4 year newer spider would have cost, I could get 348 spider! Or, in my case, I simply didn't have the extra 50K! I would one day like to get a Fiorano (last of the spiders and arguably the penultimate 355), but then one day I would like an Enzo too!

End of the day, buy the car that feels right in terms of the price/age/condition balance.

Dave

5. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Here's my 2 cents...the last of the 355 spiders are worth more $ than older cars and if you can get one from a dealer and have it FNA certified (101 point inspection) then it will qualify for an extended waranty of 1 or 2 years...therefore you won't have to worry about any problems b/c it's covered. As far as more power, I have driven 95's and I didn't feel the car was faster at all...In fact, when you have an F1 car in sport mode and are hammering the paddle shifter at 8K RPM's the car feels like a raped ape!

Either way, they are friggin fun cars!!

Best,

TTG

6. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I just looked at my 95 owners manual and a freinds 97 owners manual for the official specs. Ferrari states the 95's 0-60 time @4.6 seconds. And I'm sure they weren't happy when the had to change this spec in the later years to 4.7!!! This should be enough evidence in my opinion that the 2.7 gives slightly more HP's that the later 5.2 system. Although it may not seem like much, I bet it's a car lenth which is plenty if your running for reggies :).

7. pascalt

pascalt Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    A friend of mine told me today that Ferrari F355 from 98 has a oil radiator for the gearbox where previously model don't.. Is it correct?

Wouldn't be possible to install this radiator into previous model or is it too expensive?

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Funny, my 97 owner's manual states the 0-60 time @ 4.6....

9. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Hmm I had a funny feeling that was going to happen. I wasn't sure if different models (also 6 speed/F1) were going to show different specs, so if thats what yours states I retract my earlier post. Here's where I read it

10. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I finally got around to checking the owner's manual for my 1998 F355. It lists the 0 to 60 mph time as 4.6 seconds.

11. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

The correct 0-60mph spec is 4.6 sec. There is actually an error on the owner's manual page copied here. Notice how the times for 0-100 kilometers is also 4.7 sec? One of columns would have to be wrong as 100 kilometers is equal to 62 miles, not 60. The spec should read 0-62 mph = 4.7 sec. 0-60mph is in fact 4.6 seconds.

12. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Whether it is 4.6 4.7 to 60 or whatever is not really going to matter on the road- the way these figures are obtained is pretty brutal and not something I'd want to subject my car's engine, tranny and tyres to! Either way, lack of power is not a criticism I'd levy at my 355 (although low rev lethargy is surprising- get used to keeping the revs up)

I'd be amazed if anyone could tell the difference in power between an early and a late 355. In any case, I bet that there are differences in power between individual cars anyway.

The only difference as I see it between an early and late car is the valve guide issue. If that is sorted, and engine tests in the PPI are good, I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular year. Buy on condition and history, and get a good PPI!

Mine is a '99- I imagined that the later the car, the more de-bugged they become- only my opinion. Its a great car, and sounds even better through a Tubi!

Good hunting,

Robert.