What is the easiest way to increase HP for a tr (not exhaust) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the easiest way to increase HP for a tr (not exhaust)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jpanz, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

TR is best appreciated on a nice backroad where u don’t have to go too fast to enjoy ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And that is before the transaxle leaves its parts on the pavement.

Jakuzzi and Shamile like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To put all that power through a transaxle built for 300 HP?

Let me know how it works out.

Shamile likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

https://www.amarisupercars.com/detail?vid=39919

Here is the fastest non koenig TR I saw when I lived in the UK. Pretty fast and reliable. Almost 500hp

Jakuzzi and jpanz like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea but there is no point. The trans is too fragile. Some parts can be improved but there is very little that can be done about the mainshaft and I have seen a lot of those broken.

Jakuzzi, turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed- I’d not touch anything on mine.

Jakuzzi and Shamile like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some cars are at their best the way they are built. This is one. Want to buy a car for what it can be? Buy a Camaro.

When you blow crap up on one of those it doesn't cost so much.

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Honestly...it's slowwww....but it feels fast and it's a fun drive. You can rev it to redline, shift the gears carefully through the gated shift all the while trying to get that perfect balance in the clutch.
    My Murcielago Roadster is super fast but borrrring! I stomp on the accelerator, run the car up, pull the paddle once....done. ...and already past the speed limit.
    Maybe I'm just older now but once you get past trying to be the fastest kid on the block, the Testarossa is a wonderful car to enjoy.
    Not to mention that trunk, great for groceries at Walmart ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    I don't have the exact pricing info but you can contact the guys at Carobu Engineering.
    From what I saw in their site is
    Higher compression pistons : 3600 dollars
    Carrillo steel rods: 4200 dollars (if you want to go all out Titanium rods cost 10.800 dollars)
    Camshaft re-profiling:4500 dollars
    High performance engine gasket set: 1245 dollars
    I don't have any idea about labor cost but it should give you some idea.
    With incraesed power you should upgrade the drivetrain according to my humble opinion is and

10. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    ***And they are offering some drivetrain products too***

11. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    No offense gentleman but I don't get it. I think Testarossa 's engine can hold some higher compression and revs. Ferrari raised the rev limiter in 512M with lightened crankshaft and titanium rods. With steel pistons of course. Or you are saying that' engine gonna hold but I can't say the same to drivetrain'. I saw many turbocharged Testarossa's around web. And you know turbos are harsher than N/A applications.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #37 Rifledriver, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    And two people in this conversation offer upgrades and repair parts for those transaxles so we do know just a little about it.

How many blown up TR transaxles have you repaired? The first one I did was in 1986 and I am still doing them.

If you like breaking big expensive parts, go right on ahead and I'll be happy to enrichen my bank account by selling you the parts you need to fix it.

There is no fix for the poor mainshaft design that was designed for a 300 HP engine short of reengineering the entire transaxle.

The splines on this shaft are supposed to be straight. That is a little smaller than my thumb and all of the power goes through it into the transaxle. It cannot be made bigger without a big time redesign of the entire trans. There was a company making them from a different alloy and they broke like glass. We make them too but no claims of being stronger like the other lying POS.

I also sell a propeller shaft that is made of an alloy that winds up like a rubber band to try and protect it from shock loads but it just makes the situation better, not gone.

Attached Files:

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wait a minute........"STEEL PISTONS"?????

Sorry, you need to read better magazines. Pistons are made of the same thing all other pistons are made of......Aluminum.

No offense but you really need to know a lot more before challenging us on our knowledge of these cars.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Great explanation!!

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    I thought I read that on Wikipedia, but I couldn't find it now.My bad... I am not challanging you or something I thought sharing a thing I know may help some people here. And it's not cool to hunting for people's mistakes. If I wasn't wrong about pistons you would look somewhere else to get me don't ya? All that 'you are not belong to here', 'read better magazines you are not in our league' thing is disgusting either. I am outta here man have a good day

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

I do agree with you though. There is a certain condescendence sometimes on the forum which could be avoided;)

Jakuzzi and turbo-joe like this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I thought I read on Pistonheads where they used cast iron! :)

I'd recommend against posting what you "think you read on Wikipedia" when addressing an experienced, trained Ferrari mechanic. You don't come across well.

Matt

18. Natkingcolebasket69

True but he has got a point the kid meant no harm and he got bashed- basically knowledge is awesome but a little bit more tact goes along way too.;)

Jakuzzi and turbo-joe like this.
  19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #44 Shamile, Feb 12, 2019
    Don't hang out on L Power lol That forum does not put up with stuff lightly....especially if you come off like you don't know what you're talking about.

What kind of response would I get if I went into the 458 forum and asked what the cost a conversion to stick would be. The forum would be angry that I couldn't even do a little research before opening my mouth.

Ask questions but don't post dubious answers.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

True;) poor kid is 17 According to his profile- my new year’s resolution is to be kind to
    Other;) haha
    I have yet to tease u about EDC and ultra coming up next month. I think I’m doing better hahaha

Shamile likes this.
  21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    lol....tease all you want. It's all in good spirits.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #47 Rifledriver, Feb 12, 2019
    I didn't read his profile and I really dont care. He needs to be less of a snowflake and needs to come here and debate with better knowledge sources than wikipedia. He was respectfully calling us wrong and I respectfully called him on it with a lengthy post including pictures. Not really sorry it wasn't kind enough.

My very first post here was met with a lot more crap than that kid has received in his entire life.

turbo-joe, Smiles and Shamile like this.
  23. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    I don't know why are you beheaving like you are the boss of this club. And I was right about what I said except pistons. I was reading something about diesel engines and some of them use steel pistons as you know. My mind slipped into that. Ok you are right I was wrong but showing off my '17 year old mistakes' will not make you a big man.

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Now you have made me feel bad.

I'll go now to my safe space.

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Keep reading and you'll figure out why ;)

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.