What is the Ferrari Ethos? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the Ferrari Ethos?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by angelis, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    but enough of your mechanical inflatable doll Chas, what about the car? :D

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh the car.....:)

3. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ferrari ethos???

Drive the fcuker like you stole it.

If people then think I'm a pr1ck, thats their problem not mine.
    If other Ferrari owners don't wanna wring the neck of their car, thats their choice, not mine!
    I did'nt spend all this money to fanny about polishing it (Dave does that!)

:D:D:D

4. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    The Ferrari Ethos was to build a few expensive cars so that rich kids and gentry would buy them during the week to fund Enzo to go racing at the weekend.

After that it was to 'build a great engine' - everything else came free!

Nowadays it is a much more complete package but the roots of a racing car for the road and minimal gadgets, maximum driving experience still remain

5. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    I think tha there is a great deal of difference between driving passionately and driving like a pr1ck. If people think you are a **censored** because of your passionate driving, so be it. As long as you drive passionately and consider other road users.
    Let’s face it; we all have to deal with prejudice and jealousy. Some people will think we are pr1cks just because we have spent a house worth of money on a car. I’d rather not fuel them because the more misconception people have, the less they are inclined to let me out of a side street and the more chances I have to find my car paintwork vandalised one day.

Driving a car like you stole it, might associate you with max power teens and has nothing to do with driving ‘con brio’

Accelerating to the red line while merging into the motorway or driving along as B road is different from accelerating to the red line on 30mph residential road where the red line is already (depending on gear) way above the sensible (and legal) speed limit.

Really all I am saying is that there is always th middle ground. I do not drive the car thinking, ‘I should not do do this or that because people will think I am *****’. I am even guilty thinking ‘I am driving a better faster car then most’ and I have been to known to rev it when people ask me to do it…
    What I am not doing is driving it in a way that is sure or even intended to p1ss other people off.
    To me, having a Ferrari means that I have expensive taste, that I am a car connoisseur and that I have the means to afford my passion. But I also think there is a sublime element to owning a Ferrari. Driving one is enough to indicate all the above without me ‘shouting’ it all over the place.

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    What ferrari do you drive by the way?

7. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I think part of the Ferrari Ethos is to spread the Ferrari love. If a young (or old) fan sees the car and gets excited, take them for a ride or rev the nuts off it or whatever. There is nothing like that feeling we all got once when we were younger and saw our first Ferrari/Lambo and turned to our dad and said "wow...is that a car or a spaceship?" or something similar..

I remember how I felt, and I was blown away. Just knowing that you can pass on that feeling to someone else is a really big buzz. Its nothing special about me.... its purely the car is the star. Im just lucky enough to own one at the moment. That for me (and for many others on here) is living the Ferrari Ethos.

8. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    I don't really care what the ethos is. I bought a car, not into a cult. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a pint in the company of like minded individuals who have an appreciation for fast cars be they ferraris or otherwise. But nothing beats the feeling of finding a empty fast B or A road where you can really enjoy the car in its element. I can understand people wanting to get together, driving round London wouldn't be my cup of tea. Revving engines in traffic is a bit sad IMO.

9. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Any good A and B road around St Albans - I am from Harpenden myself and keep getting so frustrated by all the tw@ts dring 40 anywhere.

P.S i drive a 575... w/Tubi :)

10. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    You really had to be there mate, even though I missed a big chunk of it, what I did get involved in was awesome.

Carbonrider, it goes without saying you don't drive like a pr1ck in built up areas. When I say I drive it like I stole it, I find empty twisting roads etc and give the 355 hell and all.That is the way I enjoy my Fezza, not by endangering myself and others. :rolleyes:

11. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Did you remove the vin plate ok?

12. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There are some fun roads out towards Luton from Harpenden, just make sure you turn back before you get to Luton ;). Of course they may be a different prospect in a 575...

Cooper's Green Lane (between St. A and Welwyn) isn't too shabby, you need to get a clear run though as you'll be hard pushed to overtake safely on it.

13. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Huh??

14. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Oops. Thought you had stole it:)

15. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Ummm nice area indeed, I know it well.

Have you tried Thralls End Lane? As you go from Harpenden towards Luton, on your right hand side, nearer to harpenden. We used to test our cars 0-60 up there at night along the main straight (shame about the dangerous hump in the middle :( ). Also used to shag up there in the field .... :) Im nothing but a chav really.

16. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sssshhhhhh.........ye knows too much :D:D:D

17. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I haven't I'm afraid. I tend to head out that way, then just after the 'sweeping' right on the A1081 there's a right-angle left off (Slip End Lane? maybe). This takes you in to Slip End where, if you head back towards the A5, you get a fantastic downhill/uphill section not dissimilar to the straight after the first corner at Brands (only longer, obviously). It's great fun in a normal car, but I think the risk of grounding a Ferrari if you tackle it at any speed must be quite high.

I'll go and have a look at Thralls End Lane on my way back from work and report back ;).

18. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    On the road or the dogging :D:D:D

19. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Both if I'm lucky! :D

20. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    #45 Dale, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had a blast down Thralls End Lane earlier, it was dusk and I didn't know the road so I wasn't exactly flying, but I can see how it'd be fun.

Ferrari friendly too, I imagine, assuming you don't turn back towards Wheathampstead at the other end, I was wincing at the proximity of other cars to my German hatchback, I'd not like to imagine driving it in a 6'6" wide Italian beast.

PS No evidence of people having sex, although it's probably a good spot.