What Is The Next Ferrari Model To Jump In Value? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

What Is The Next Ferrari Model To Jump In Value?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I am trying to acquire one of my picks as soon as possible. Given my income however, it takes me several years to scrape together even $100k, so to paraphrase the old saying, you have to HAVE money to make money.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LARRYH likes this.
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've said the same thing about vintage guitars for decades. Players should be playing them. :)

I was the last generation of guitarists who could actually afford a 1959 Gibson L5 ($750.00) and a 1959 Birdland (Traded for a Boogie) in the late 70's. They were over $2,500.00 each when I sold them in the late 80's, now both way over $10-20K (And I haven't looked at prices in years).

davemqv likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ...I see what you did there.

:)

The Valeo was way ahead of its time. A unique proposition in an already unique and rare car.

alexion and sidtx like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I completely agree with Nuno. There are folks out there that are speculating on the Mondial like like Fritz Neuser & Keith Sohl. I tell others not buy it on the far gone chance it becomes a Dino (one can dream I guess) - but to enjoy the car for what it is. To answer the original question, my money is on a 412 5 Speed.

sidtx, AlfistaPortoghese and Wade like this.
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 400/412i has really grown on me. After the 365 GTC/4 2+2 I thought it was homely, but now it looks quite elegant to me. A manual that is well sorted would be an awesome car to have.

Merlin Auto Group and paulchua like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    agreed, and with only what - 250ish 412 5 speeds in existence? That's some Enzo-era level quantities right there.

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #259 paulchua, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018

haha, your post reminds me of a personal story.

It's hard to ever predict where public opinion and sentiments will head in the future. Just 5 years ago, the Dino/Ferrari 308 GT4 was widely panned and can easily be obtained for $20,000. We all know the recent renaissance its experienced.

I still remember the first time I introduced myself to my friend at my Ferrari owners meet. Among the 458s, F12s, and Scuds, I asked him which car was his. He had that fraction of hesitation that I often have when asked the question myself as if we've gained admittance into the royal ball by virtue of being the fifth cousin of the Duke of some far away and unimportant province in the kingdom

The GT4 he replied.

It was a beauty - fully restored. He asked me the same, I replied Mondial.

We instantly were kindred spirits being owners of the 'bottom shelf' vehicles. That said, of course, it was all in our heads. 5 years later, the same people that drove cars 10x the value of mine and I feared would judge my Ferrari bona fides are now folks that I can call friends. Will there be folks that think lesser of me simply because of my car? I'm sure they are out there, but the question I have is would I want to keep the company of such folks in the first place? I digress.

Last year I saw him again and asked him why he wasn't going to the drives anymore? He laughed and replied the car has almost quadrupled in value for what he paid. "I can sell it if I need to in the future, so I keep the miles low." Of course, their are no guarantees in life, but with Ferrari and longterm - I can certainly understand his sentiment

C L S, davidoloan and alexion like this.
  9. SpiderSweden

SpiderSweden Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    @F355 Fan 82

1. 575 is not iconic and never will be.
    2. 575 is not a collector car - will prob be worth less then now in the future.
    3. Stop obsessing about 575 as an investment - enjoy it instead.
    4. Come on and stop dropping that you have/had three excotics and your line of work in every thread.
    5. Cars are not only about numbers - feelings matters!

Cheers!

vrsurgeon and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    He is an asset manager....you obviously don't know who you're dealing with....LOL

Truth be told, I'm sure it will be a collector car, as is every 30+ year old car Ferrari ever made to date. A 12 cylinder car is a dying breed unfortunately. A 550 is the one to have (excepting MT 575s and SAs)

Good to see he is even triggering Europeans....LOL

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Okay, No need to disparage others. He made a clear case. You don’t have to agree with it. Let’s get back to discussing cars.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That seems to me pretty sound advice regarding any Ferrari, regardless of model year, number of cylinders and/or speculation regarding hypothetical future appreciation.

Enjoy your Ferrari(s). Life's too short, sometimes unfortunately even shorter than we expect, and there's nothing to be taken from this life, except experiences and memories. Take care of it properly, but use it and stop obsessing with mileage. The moment you free yourself from the shackles and dictatorship of mileage in a Ferrari, you have a truly free and enjoyable ownership experience. Screw appreciation and depreciation.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

tomc, paulchua, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Invest in the financial markets, drive your Ferrari for pleasure !

I’m a Registered Investment Advisor.

Shark01 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    I know several people born in the 80s who own Dino's and I don't know anyone who owns a 575. F355 Fan82's statements are reflective of his opinion which is fine but everyone's realities are different

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’m born in 69, raised in the 80s and own a Dino cause it’s awesomly beautiful and fun to drive.

Future collectible / desirable

CS
    Scud
    Special

LARRYH, Shark01 and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I would agree with this for sure, though I would certainly add 308/328 and 488 Pista.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Personal opinion - the 3X8 cars have already had their run. Pretty cars, but that's about it. Those were not Ferrari's best days.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No he didn't make a logical argument, and he is currently on vacation for disparaging others, which isn't the first time.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Would agree, except for the 355, which I personally love, but no desire to own. They made alot of them, and the maintenance issues are real. OTOH, there was a Scuderia recently for sale that I would have trekked through deserts for, but just do not have enough money to buy comfortably.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So how would you advise a Client about whether they could/should buy a Ferrari? Because for some of us, a $100k+ purchase is a decent % of net worth.

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I still have that on VHS.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So at one point recently, I was learning about the Vetroresina and Euro carbed GTB cars. Would you make an exception for those? They are quite rare compared to most anything Ferrari produced since.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Interesting video released in the past few days. Has a couple of Ferraris on it...

LARRYH likes this.
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There will always be special editions of any Ferraris that are valuable, e.g., the first glass body cars. But when I see a nice 328 going for the same as F360 that has got to be a top. There is no comparison in the driving experience.