What Is The Next Ferrari Model To Jump In Value? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

What Is The Next Ferrari Model To Jump In Value?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I know the car market is coming down and based on the last cycle from 1989 to 2008, with the magic money tree of quantative easing and the old boys final market drive, with prices declining it may 2040 before the cycle is in an upwards cycle again.

And it will be down to the much smaller percentage of "car guys" to drive it. Cars probably aren’t very good investments at all.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #202 davidoloan, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    100% of emails that I am aware of from Ferrari state that 3715 550’s were built, while 100% of Wikipedia sentences say 3083 Ferrari 550’s were built.

So I think you may be using an unsafe source as the basis for your statiscal analysis.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I hope your numbers are right, just makes the F1 575 that much rarer Dave

4. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    F355fan 1882, maybe we are enthusiasts first. By the way the traditional definition of that didn’t have much to do with numbers, statistical analysis, actuarial science or hating on people who like Mondials.

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Another critical thing to consider in the long run will be the appeal of mid-engine sports cars over front engine GT’s with younger buyers. There’s a significant discrepancy.

mclaudio, Shark01 and davidoloan like this.
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thats fine, i like cars too, but this thread posed the question "what is the next ferrari model to go up in value" and you began your rant about sticks. Sticks have already hit insane values while at the same time their pool of buyers is old and getting closer to the finish line in life. So with that said I wouldn't bet on their upside being unlimited and as we've seen in recent years they're coming down. I mentioned an F1 system car of which give or take 500 or so exist in the United States, note I mentioned the United States, not abroad bc abroad they drive sticks in way higher numbers.

With that said I mentioned that this was the earliest F1 system ever put in a Ferrari road car with a V12, and today all Ferrari V12s are made without sticks, the 575 started that trend and will forever be remembered as the first non stick v12. All I ever said was there's 500 of them in the US, actually less with an F1 system bc 77 of the original 580 or so were made with sticks and many have crashed so less than 500 exist. If we're making guesses on which cars go up next, its one of the forgotten ones. The challenge stradales have gone up alot recently, the 430 scuderia is still $230k+, the superamericas are already $400-500k, I dont really know any MODERN F car made in such small quantities as the 575 in the US right now that you can still scoop up for $100k or less......maybe a 348 speciale or a mondial but thats about it in that price range. So in terms of somewhat rare F car which should see appreciation I can't really think of another that one can buy right now that will appreciate as much percentage wise, the odds of a 575 F1 going from $100k to $200k are probably higher than a 430 scuderia going from $230k to $460k at this point or a superamerica F1 heading to $1m.

7. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Very true, GTs are mostly old men cars, and also saloons, sedans limousines have non of the currency they once did.

I saw a mint BentleyTurbo R with 6000 miles on the clock recently, and the group of McLaren and Ferrari 488 young drivers couldn’t even see it. Only fifteen years it would have been cool as **** to people the same age.

Mid engine or nothing for long term investments ...........

8. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    But every single post you make in every single thread is about the investment potential of your 575.

Shark01 likes this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If I was to buy a Ferrari for as an investment, which I wouldn't do because I think that would be a very bad idea, I would definitely buy a F599 with a stick over a F575 with a stick over a F550 over a F575 with a F1. What you're missing is the F1 transmission will always be less desirable. The DCT are that much better. Plus, the F1 is very high maintenance. It started out as racing technology, but was obsolete by the time Ferrari put it into the road cars.

Shark01 and davidoloan like this.
  10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    O geez so you'd invest in a manual 599 which there's like 30 of as an investment, thats your bold call? The F1 is high maintenance???? Do you have any reading for us with F1 systems to read up on, my car has survived 17 years and I have all the receipts and I see nothing that would be "high maintenance". Alright you and Dave can sit here and go back and forth, I cant believe your bold call for an investment is a ferrari where 30 exist.

11. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    You’re getting very tetchy. Happens to us all as we get older...........

Shark01 likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Like I said, I would NEVER buy a Ferrari as an investment. I'm not that delusional. But, yes, while I don't like the way a F599 looks, it is a much, much better driving car than a F575 or a F550.

Ps. I did double my money once when I brought and later sold a 1967 330 GTC. However, I didn't buy the car as an investment. I brought it to drive it. I just got lucky on the sale. In Texas, we say, "I'd rather be lucky than smart."

G. Pepper, Shark01 and davidoloan like this.
  13. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    You mean there are proportionally less of the facelift made?

Usually it’s the first of a design which stands the test of time and is sought after.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    First and last of a model run usually hold the most value.

Shark01 likes this.
  15. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Good post. The only people that are convinced values on your car will go up are the dealers wanting to sell them to you. They will tell you anything to hype it up and boast about it’s “exclusivity.” Try trading them in later and they’ll think of a hundred reasons why your car is not worth s..t right now :) Bottom line.... Unless your new car is in very very very limited production you can count on losing money when you sell it. The Dino is one of those unicorns. Ten years ago you could have bought one in the 45K range. Of course when I had the chance I didn’t pull the trigger :( Oh well, car addiction is a powerful and pervasive drug. Hard to beat or cure it.

LARRYH, Texas Forever and Dave rocks like this.
  16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    G. Pepper and davidoloan like this.
  17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #217 308 milano, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Clearly photo shopped. Only us dying old guys with 1 foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel opt for a manual. :)

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The problem that I see is when people focus on "rare" (only xxx were made) it means 1) it was very expensive and only a few could afford to order/own it when new or 2) it wasn't ordered in high quantities for a reason. Usually that's because people didn't want to order them when new because it's not appealing.

So the bet then is.. when "what's old is new again", people will rediscover the older technology and while their parents didn't think highly of it, they will then discover it and it will become desirable. Or, what wasn't popular in it's day will not appeal to a new generation of users/buyers. You have to be careful who you include your sample for prediction. Kids from wealthy families who are into steampunk might not be the best predictor of preferences on a larger scale. I suspect that people will be people and what's iconic for a brand is the best bet for investment. I tend to agree with the mid engine hypothesis in that regard...

thorn and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'd like to amended my previous statement about not buying cars for investment. What I actually do is buy cars and hope to minimize my losses. This is why I'm a bottom feeder. I may have repair bills, but I that's nothing compared to the depreciation hit.

21. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Not really trying to get in on this discussion, but technically, the first generation F1 would be the Mondial Valeo.

And, if you squint really hard, and look further back -- the VW Auto-Stick of the 70's.

sid

paulchua, sixcarbs and davidoloan like this.
  23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

True, but those are not Ferrari ;)

24. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    So since we're talking about F1's vs. sticks, millennials and what they will be able to drive in the future, oddball cars and thier perceived desireability now vs. in the future, I'll throw another wrench into the equations.

I have a '93 Mondial T Valeo which in my humble opinion is the best of all worlds. You have a 5-speed transmission with an electronic clutch. You get to row your gears without the hassle of fitting your larger than size 8" feet together in a narrow, offset footwell to depress a stiff clutch pedal. The car knows you're next move...When you want to upshift or downshift and put your hand on the gear lever to select your next gear, the clutch engages via microprocessors sensing the movement and telling to electrictronic actuator to depress the clutch pedal, giving you buttery smooth shifts, in milliseconds, while you still retain the sensation of the famous Ferrari gated shifter. A super reliable electro-mechanical system that requires an SD1 and common sense to service, made by a well-known and well-respected French company (Valeo). Sounds complicated...isn't...Pair that with the robust 348 engine and you have yourself a comfortable, lower center of gravity, more storage room, power steering, adjustable suspension, room for 4...348.

25. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    But the thing is the Mondial is beneath F355fan1782’s considération. His apartment manager has foolishly saddled himself with one, a decision he will regret as it has negative investment potential.