what is wide open throttle? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what is wide open throttle?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Webby, Nov 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    WOT actually doesn't refer directly to the gas pedal. It refers to the throttle body which is controlled by the gas pedal.

One of the things you always check on a racing (or other high performance) car is for WOT. This means that when you depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor the throttle body rotates (or slides) to be wide open. I personally had changed a Formula Atlantic engine one long night up in Mosport, same engine type, throttle body, and engine builder only to find the next morning after our morning practice session that the reason we were a full second off with our new $20K rebuilt motor was because we weren't getting WOT. It should have been exactly the same but for some reason it wasn't. An adjustment was made to the throttle cable and the times dropped accordingly.

Very simple way to check this. Have a buddy press the throttle to the floor and hold it there. Put your hand on the throttle linkage that the cable connects to on the throttle body and see if you can rotate it some more. If you can, you're not getting WOT and are not getting everything you should be out of the engine.

Same rule applies for carbureted cars.

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That's a new one on me. As a pilot, I was taught that "balls to the wall" phrase came from the throttle/mixture/prop pitch knobs (which are typically red, blue & white balls) being pushed to the firewall when full power was needed. Hence "balls to the wall". I'm sure trains have precedence historically over planes though :D

3. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    i run my lawnmower at WOT

it runs bestest that way

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Speaking of carbs, when you synch your carbs, you may find some butterflies are fully open at WOT and some aren't, at least on my car. I assume this is normal since they need to be balanced.

Ken

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Great historical info on the origins of "Balls to the Wall" - Thanks! Ya' learn something new everyday around here...

6. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    These questions are good for all of us. If you think you know it all, you have got it coming to you. I recently made an ass of myself making an assumption on the term "Jimmy Hat". Don't ask.

7. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Double de clutching is when you let the clutch pedal up during the middle of a gearchange (while in neutral) then press it down again before engaging the next gear and then letting it up again.
    It makes it a lot easier to change down a gear if you don't have synchromesh - or if your synchromesh is worn.

Not sure which bit is de clutching. I'm guessing that when you press the clutch pedal you are declutching - i.e. disengaging the clutch?

8. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    That is so true!!! And people like the guy answering in a bad way... is the reason why a lot of people don't dare to ask questions!

I don't know many of those terms... mostly because I'm Danish and not familiar with the english terms or slang for things :)
    SO I like this thread... it teaches me some of those terms that I did not dare to ask!!!

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Sounds like you will be a perfect US Ferrari owner someday...........you will know they look cool, be able to park and pose to perfection.

Just kidding............hang out and learn. :)

10. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Thanks Tom, and Tina :)

11. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Just "double clutching". If you insist using the "de" part then it's "double de-clutching"...which is redundant.

Best site I know of about that topic:
    http://318ti.org/notebook/shifting/index.html

12. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry about my last post being a double (page 1 of this thread)- my fault, I hit the return button instead of going directly to the page. The Edit button didn’t work when I tried to remove the second post. Go figure. With that said the twin posts leads me up to the next explanation:

Double de clutching? It’s when identical twins, who are having a fight, are finally persuaded to let go of each other......

Having said that the purpose behind my obvious misinformation is humor, there were already a number of correct answers and thus I figured the thread could do with a joke.

Webby, you are right to ask. The only stupid question is an unasked one.

13. holaback

holaback Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    Um...WOT is refering to all cars not just Ferraris

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Mark, I could tell it was a joke, and it was appreciated :)
    WTF! What's up with all these newbies???
    Did I ever say WOT is just for Ferraris? Just read all of my posts carefully. Besides that, clearly any idiot could figure out from the replies that WOT is for all cars if they didn't assume it when asking the question as I did. And even if you think I was confused don't act condescending with your little "um"

I don't get angry easily but 2 people thinking they can just come here and make offensive posts like that is ticking me off.

15. holaback

holaback Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    Yes. When you asked what WOT is and you said you knew alot about Ferrari's but not how they work refring to WOT as if it was simply a Ferarri thing. BOOYAH!

16. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I would call you retarded... but that would be an insult to really mentally disabled people.

Let me go through this step by step for you. If any sentences are too long or words are too complex, let me know.

1) I saw a "Ferrari 360 with wide open throttle" movie.
    2) The 360 in the movie was loud and accelerated quickly
    3) I wanted to know why it was loud and quick
    4) I assumed this had to do with wide open throttle
    5) I wanted to know what wide open throttle is
    6) I asked what wide open throttle is
    7) I didn't ask what "Ferrari wide open throttle" is
    8) Somebody said if I am a gearhead, I should know what it is
    9) I'm not a gearhead
    10) I told him I'm not a gearhead
    11) I said if I were a gearhead I would be on gearheadchat.com
    12) I'm not on gearheadchat.com
    13) I told him that I'm not on gearheadchat.com
    14) I said this because I'm not a gearhead
    15) A gearhead is one who knows how cars work
    16) I said I don't know how cars work
    17) gearheadchat.com doesn't exist
    18) I said I like Ferraris
    19) I said people who like Ferrari's go to Ferrarichat.com
    20) I said I'm on Ferrarichat.com
    21) I said this is because I like Ferrari's
    22) In fact, I posted all of this on Ferrarichat.com
    23) Somebody said, wide open throttle is when you put the pedal to the metal
    24) "pedal to the metal" is a phrase I understood before
    25) This is because "pedal to the metal" is a slang phrase
    26) "pedal to the metal" is not a technical phrase
    27) "wide open throttle" is a technical phrase
    28) People who are not gearheads can understand slang
    29) I'm not a gearhead (see #9)
    30) Thus I understand slang
    31) I know that all cars have gas pedals
    32) Most people know this also
    33) Somebody explained that the throttle is controlled by the gas pedal
    34) I assumed that all cars thus have throttles also
    35) I now understand much better what "wide open throttle" means
    36) This is because many people were nice enough to answer the question
    37) Without trying to use petty insults or childish vocabulary
    38) I thank these people for answering my question
    39) Newbie #2 comes along
    40) (This is you)
    41) Newbie #2 decides to read 1/3 of 1/5 of the posts (that would be 1/15 of the thread)
    42) Newbie #2 decides to be condescending and immature
    43) Newbie #2 says something condescending and immature
    44) I think this guy is nuts
    45) I say something to that effect
    46) Newbie #2 posts AGAIN!
    47) I explain in great depth my previous posts
    48) This is because sometimes, I enjoy being an ********* :)
    49) Nobody likes Newbie #2
    50) Newbie #2 goes home and cries
    51) Newbie #2 never comes to Ferrarichat.com again
    52) This is because Newbie #2 blew it and nobody on Ferrarichat.com likes Newbie #2
    alternate ending
    51) Newbie replies for a third time? We'll see.
    52) Still, Newbie #2 has no friends.

17. holaback

holaback Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    I seee you are tryinig to change your words just to try to cover up for yourself when you in reality you said:

you are OWNED! Give up your highschooler you were wrong just take it like a man. It would't take someone such a long explanation to defend yourself if you were really right from the begining.

18. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    Not Necessary, Not a positive contribution, Not a pertinent reply, Not relevant to the original post or subsequent replies.

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, that's very mature, congratulations, your parents must be very proud... i had several thousand posts before i could visibly tell the difference between a 308 and a 328... Don't put people down for asking questions and trying to learn something... Who are you...? Who do you think you are to make statements like that...? That you would belittle someone for trying to educate themselves reflects very poorly on the type of person you are... This is probably not the place for you...

Webby, good on you for asking questions - it's the only way to learn... There's no such thing as a stupid question; just a stupid answer... At 26, i know enough to know i don't know much, and so i'm never embarrassed about asking questions and the losers out there (like 16valves) are far and few between...

Tom-F1, a big thumbs up to you for coming forward like that...

Mark - whose username is merely his first name spelled backwards :) - said it best: The only stupid question is an unasked one.

20. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    My bad. Here's a correction

16a) I said I don't know how Ferrari's work (notice AGAIN that this is only because I was pointing out that I'm on FERRARIchat.com).
    16b) All Ferrari's are cars
    16c) Some cars are Ferrari's
    16d) Thus it can be said that I don't know how some cars work.
    16e) Again, using the point I made from 31-34, it can be assumed that I don't know how any cars work.

In the slight chance that it did seem like I was implying only Ferrari's have throttles, I'd like to thank Hunter for his reply referring to why your post is still irrelevant and why nobody on this board likes you. Thanks to NNO too.

PS The long explanation was because you're an idiot not because I was wrong.

Let me now go over to PimpDaddy's thread and thrash your sorry @$$ some more.

21. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Never mind, you were banned! HAha! (Thanks wax)

22. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry

You forgot to tell everyone that in order for this process to work properly, the engine must be on.