What is wrong with people?! | FerrariChat

What is wrong with people?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JasonN, Jun 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've had/have some nice cars but my new to me 2015 458 Spider really catches attention. I don't know what it is but seems like cars are going to hit me from the side or the back because they are not paying attention. I live in an area where you might see a Ferrari a half dozen times per year. People reach for their phones and take pictures and videos while driving and it all seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Anyway, I really enjoy the kids that want to see it up close and take pictures. The other attention I can do without. I've had this car since February but only recently started driving it. What an incredible machine. The sound this car makes should be illegal!

Happy to be part of the Ferrari community.

TSOYBELIS, evo3, Chris Alan and 2 others like this.
  2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    It's to be expected. Some owners like the attention, some don't, and some would rather not have it but are fine when it happens. This is true for all exotics, it's a consequence of ownership.

I'm always polite when it happens, but I'd be just fine if it never happened again (maybe :D)

Most people commenting are friendly, but you can get the odd comment from time to time. I've only had one weird encounter, when parking in a shopping center one day, a guy approached me getting out of my then 458 (now driving a 488) and sarcastically stated that I "must be proud to show off a car like that." I answered by telling him "it's not about me, you don't even know me, it's never about the driver, it's about the car, you either appreciate it or you don't."

His response was "okay, fair enough, have a great day."

Jim

whatheheck and ebw001 like this.
  3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    distraction by exotic ;)

4. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    My favorite (sarcasm on) is when people ask me how much I paid for it. I now say $10.00. It's no stranger's business what I paid for any of my vehicles. The lack of propriety that people sometimes show astounds me.

But yes, the worst is when people get right on your ASCII. Comments and impolite questions are harmless, if not embarrassing, but they're not physically dangerous like idiots that get on your ass.

This reminds me of a hilarious bumper sticker I read recently:
    [​IMG]

sbenus and Afonsolaw like this.
  5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    People ask me how much I paid I tell them 300k .... it's what they want to hear... even if it's not true.

6. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Even if you said $75k you'd probably get the same reaction. For most people $75k and $300k are equally outrageous.

SoftwareDrone and Melvok like this.
  7. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Haha! Glad to know I'm not alone! It is embarrassing. Like I said the kids I really enjoy because I was there and remember lusting after cars. I remember when the C4 Corvette was released in 1983 as a 1984 model. I had never laid eyes on a more beautiful car and tried to talk my dad into buying one but he would not have it. He's never been a car guy.

I like the bumper sticker...... Might have to look into that one.

8. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I never talk price. I haven't been asked yet but I know its coming from some family members because that is what they do. I've already been asked by one when they can drive it.:)

9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Look, don’t touch!

QueueCumber likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When people ask - I have 3 stock answers. 1) I don't know, my wife bought it for me! 2) I don't know, I stole it! 3) Less than a tricked out SUV!

As none of these are answers they are expecting, there is usually a pregnant pause, which I use to change the subject, or drive off!

T

evo3 likes this.
  11. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    People at gas stations always think it's cheeky and clever when they ask "Want to trade cars?"

I don't think they realize that we've heard it in one form or another dozens of times already...

dustman likes this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    hahaha so true. i told a few people the value of my 430 and you could tell they were disappointed. i'm going with fake numbers from now on!

Afonsolaw likes this.
  13. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    I tell people 30yrs hard work....it's true for me though

TSOYBELIS, evo3, JasonN and 3 others like this.
  14. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Filling up my GT3 one day....some guy yells out “is that one of those new hybrids?” I turned to see what the person who asked this question could possibly look like and what kind of car he was driving before formulating my response. Turned out to be a jokester. Had me for a second.

Interestingly, I aways get laughed at when I tell them it’s my wife’s car. Sometimes, it is!

Melvok and QueueCumber like this.
  15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I bought mine because I like the driving dynamics, not for the attention, which I could do without. For that reason I didn't buy a red one, but quickly found that the color makes hardly any difference in attention-getting.

Melvok and QueueCumber like this.
  16. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Yep. The attention is the worst part of the whole experience. I love to cruise with my top down, but it's pretty uncomfortable sometimes.

JasonN and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Can I get a ride with you Sir ?

I tell them that there is a queue with already appr 1238 people who want a ride ...

stavura and tomc like this.
  18. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    I just got a blk 488 spider last week. Coming from a huracan when it first came out and a multicolored mclaren 650s spider I feel that the Ferrari is much more low key.
    It’s almost invisible to most people, which is a nice change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueueCumber, Cigarzman and Viperjoe like this.
  19. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    One of the reasons I went from a 430 spider to a 458 coupe. I felt all the attention was on me on both sides at a traffic light. People taking pics like crazy also which is why they pull up so close behind you. I feel I have a bit more anonymity hiding under my hardtop :)

20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely.

I asked that once in my life, when I was 18 years old, to an old man in a F355 GTS. He told me : " You should not care how much other people paid for their things. The day you'll have your own Ferrari, and I wish you to have one, you'll PERFECTLY know how much you paid for it"

I never asked again.

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Unless the person who's asking is a pretty lady... That would move her up the ladder a lot of places :D

And... I assume she would ask if she could ride WITH me, and not ride ME :D

Just kidding :D

Over here in southern Europe, it's exactly the same thing, with the detail that people see a lot less supercars here (namely in my country) than in the US, for instance. I understand the car getting attention, but that's not just that... Some people really lose it, they lose track of where they are and what they're doing in order to get a picture or to chase you. They become oblivious to the danger, to themselves (getting run over if on foot, just to get THAT selfie) and/or to others (hit you from behind, losing track of general traffic around him/her, etc). That's why I'm very selective to where I go with my Ferrari and at what time: I want the absolute minimum attention I can get, and drive as relaxed as I possibly can, which generally means going to the countryside.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

22. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I think when I had my 430 6 speed years ago I told someone the true number of what I paid for it and they replied with "that's it? Oh ..." it's like meeting a famous person you see on tv most people want them to be supernatural looking as to why they are in the position they are in.... when they meet someone from tv and they look like crap the experience is not so memorable. Just like seeing a car and knowing it cost 10 times what you make a year or seeing a car and realizing you can possibly finance that car as well if you wanted to. Not so special any more.

23. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Other questions I have gotten...

What is gas mileage like on this car?

How fast have you gotten it up to?

What's insurance like ?

How much to finance ?

Where did you buy it?

24. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had my windows tinted and keep them up with the top down!

QueueCumber likes this.
  25. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    :DI tell them less than a divorce...HaHaHa!