What is your fav. city in Italy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is your fav. city in Italy?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Prugna 328, Apr 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

Well, I live in Florida, so the closest that I could get to the weather here would be best.

-DC

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    If I remember correctly, there isn't really a part of Italy that is warm the entire year. The part of the country that would have the closest climate would be Southern Italy (Sicily, Calabria, etc.) which would be difficult to adjust to if you are unfamiliar with these regions. I say this because the South in Italy is far behind the North in regards to industry and modern conveniences. My family is from Calabria and I've been there as well as to the North and there is a huge difference! Things may have changed since I was a kid but it took some time for me to adjust to a lack of air-conditioning and most comforts that I was accustomed to. It is absolutely beautiful but you have to sacrifice. I think it gets chilly there in the winter too. Maybe someone else who is more familiar can chime in.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I liked Venice alot, and also Sienna but i was only there for a day. I have never been to florence, but i hear its nice. Rome was a nice city too, with great places to eat if you knew were to go away from the tourist areas. The one place i enjoyes, that not many people may have heard of, is porto santo stefano. Its a small city on the mediterranean where we stayed for a week. There was some great seafood there. At a resturant i there i also ate chingale, which is wild boar that are native to the area, but are very ellusive. It wasnt all it was made out to be.

4. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Bergamo- the city at the top of the hill.
    Don't wimp out and drive up but hike up at sunset.

Get out of big cities and go see the country beyond the crowds and traffic.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #30 TimN88, Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Civita Bagnoregio is a city at the top of a hill, i guess. Its just sitting there, but soon it will fall down because of erosion. When i was there a few yrs ago most of the people had moved out. Its near Viterbo, which is where my grandfather grew up and where many of my relatives still live. I'll try to find a pic. Ok i found one...and yes, the only way to get there is to walk on that bridge you see in the pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Maybe, you might be right. I might be off a little my memory sucks. Anyway, It's really old and I really enjoyed my trip there.

7. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Mike, that is very romantic. I fell in love with Venice.

8. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I am not sure if it classifys as a city, but I enjoyed Sorrento quite a bit. Florence and Rome are nice but too crowded for my tastes. I did not like Venice at all (very dirty and hard to get around). Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to see Milan:(.

9. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Como - Love the lake and the small towns around it
    Bologna - Want to go back for a cullinary vacation
    Padova - The place to stay if you are going to venice. Very nice city and lots to do. 40 minute train ride from Venice
    Venice - But only for half a day at a time. Italian for Disney world.
    Torino - Highly underated. Great car design studios and really a nice friendly city.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    YEP! Know your history, I always say!

DL

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Milano is a great city to shop for fashion related items. I visited Ferrari dealer (not authorized I think) there, and surprised to see all models available in stock.

Florence & Venice are beautiful, and food was much better than Milano.

I want to go Rome & Napoli someday. I hear Napoli has really good Italian food.

12. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Firenze ... or Venezia, if there were roads, it would have been #1! LOL

icars ... Torino? For tourism? I lived there and it sure beats ANY american town hand down (for someone who likes architecture, of course), but I just can't remember of anything special over there ... except the blackened buildings ... lol.

Damn Italy was nice ... wouldn't mind going back ... has a real taste of old world ... loved it.

13. MarcoRtn

MarcoRtn Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    Roma (ITALY)
    Full Name:
    Marco R.
    #38 MarcoRtn, Apr 21, 2004
    My preferred city is Roma where they are born and where alive and study.

The attached photo I have released it to a monument that is found near the engineering university where study. :)

Un saluto a tutti.

Ciao.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Anyplace but Milan, Wonderful art and architecture. Plenty of attractive girls walking around, but it has to be one of the most confusing city to exit. The “freeway” does one big loop around the entire city, every sign points to the “freeway” and they all point in different directions. I can’t be the only person who thinks this is just a strange way to handle things.

Florence is interesting and it’s entertaining to go and look at the statues and everything but the pure massive size and age of the churches is awe inspiring (in all the cities) and all that wonderful blue marble

Lake Como is beautiful and the accompanying villages and cities around it are amazing, but the view of that lake is simply amazing.

15. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Out of the handful of cities I've been to in Italy, Rome is my favorite. I love everything about Italy-the people, the history, the architecture, the food, the beautiful country, and they make some pretty decent cars too. :)

Also have been to Naples numerous times; as others have mentioned-great food!
    Pompeii, Livorno and Pisa.
    Someday I want to go back and spend about 6 months travelling all over Italy and go to Milan, Turin, Bologna, Florence, Venice, Modena, etc.

16. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Portofino, Try Hotel Spendido for a splurge. Lake Como, hard to beat the beauty, but Portofino does it. I like Floerence and Rome for the history and nitelife[Rome}. Milano for shopping. Havent made it to the south yet, thats next. It is hard to go wrong in Italy, why dont we all just pack up and move?

17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
  18. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #43 malcolmb, Apr 21, 2004
  19. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Venice holds a special place in my heart, too, since I proposed to my girlfriend right in the middle of San Marco last November.[/QUOTE]\\

I got engaged in Venice too, almost ten years ago! A nice dinner at Harry's Bar, a quiet gondola ride. A very surreal place. Unforgettable.

20. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

im born in Calabrian and lived there for a full year. the summer is very dry and hot and the winters are fairly warm, usually around 5-15 celsius. its not as developped as the north but calabria has been developping its tourism and is more modern in many aspects. if your searching for a calm, cleab and beautiful getaway from tourisitic italian sports, i highyl recommend places like Tropea, Bovalino, Amantea, Scalea, Africo, Reggio Calabria and Crotone

21. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

Ciao David! It has been about 12 years since I've been to Calabria but I really loved it. My family is mostly from two parts: Cosenza and the area around the Golfo di Squilace. I am sure that things have progressed some since I left but I found the region to be a great escape from the everyday grind here in the States. :)

22. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S

The Lake Como is indeed very nice and so is Lago Maggiore on the border with Switzerland.
    A great place for just cruising along ;)

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I drove around the northern part of Italy last summer. I enjoyed the Liguiria area and San Remo -> France on the riviera. Spent 5 mellow days kicking around the little coastal towns like Ospedaletti, Bordighera and Vente Miglia.

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #49 vincenzo, Oct 17, 2004
  25. itsarevolution

itsarevolution Karting

Jan 16, 2004
    Westchester / NY
    Full Name:
    Cem O.
    been to italy four times, this summer was the greatest with monaco too :) portofino is the most beautiful , not to forget florence, and hey i'm moving to rome for my masters very soon ;-)