What is your mileage? Are you scared of driving your car? I am definitely not. | FerrariChat

What is your mileage? Are you scared of driving your car? I am definitely not.

Discussion in '360/430' started by TAILWAG, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I was talking with a fellow Ferrari F430 owner and this topic came about.
    He has an 07' just like mine and his is a coupe while mine is a spyder.

I drive my car whenever I feel like it - unless there is a pretty good chance of rain. I simply don't enjoy cleaning the aftermath.

My F430 currently has 33,350 miles. Mind you, I have only owned the car for 1.5 years and have probably put about 2,000 of those miles myself, I still drive her plenty. I have two other fun cars that I alternate with as I enjoy them all equally. I just recently got it serviced and I am all good for another year at least.

He only has 12,500 miles in his coupe and a lot of times, he doesn't want to bring out the car because he doesn't want to put miles on it or because he thinks it will depreciate more if he does. It pains me to see the car not being driven and he has had all sorts of issues with it. Leaks from everywhere, electronic issues, constant battery replacements, adjustments, unexpected repairs, etc. He is also afraid of driving the car in fears that more things may go wrong.

How many miles do you have in your F car? Do you really care about how much you drive it or do you care more about the smiles it puts on your face?

2. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    More miles more smiles
    36k in mine so far and I will keep driving it
    The key to have a great car is good maintenance and drive it regularly
    A car sitting will develop issues,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I am in same mindset as you. I've owned mine for almost 2 years and have put about 2k miles on her. I take her out regularly, I just don't put a lot of miles on at once. So, maybe 50 miles a week... just enough to keep everything lubricated and running well. No issues whatsoever.

It sounds like your friend might be caught in a catch-22. The lack of driving it could be causing some of the issues, or he has an overarching issue that is preventing him from driving it. I think once he gets it sorted out, he can feel confident putting more miles on it.

Dale

PS, mine currently has 10,950 miles.

4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I drive my cars as often as possible, but given the distances I typically drive, I'll never get that many miles on any of my cars. I'd love to take the cars on weekend trips to Napa etc, but the 16M isn't comfortable (according to my wife) and the Huracan Spyder has enough storage for basically one backpack which was "incompatible" the the luggage requirements for any overnight trip. So, I drive my cars daily to/from work and run errands as often as possible. Neither car is fun to drive in the rain (mostly because of other idiot drivers) so when we get rain, I tend to drive one of my other cars.

Themaven, Skidkid and killer58 like this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Close to 65k miles on mine. Put about 2k miles on it a year.

You wanna be fearless? Parallel park it downtown. THEN tell me about being fearless. :)

6. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    same millage as you, 33,720. I bought it a year ago and even with it in the shop fixing all the common issues, I still put 4k miles in about 7 months. I try not to drive it, but it is so hard not to. Right now, I'm sorting out that stupid exhaust tip rattle. I had it done for the most part but when readjusting the capristo brackets, I thinking pushing on the tips to get it lined up caused them to be in that vibrating spot.

How has the car been running for you HIGH AND I MEAN HIGH MILLAGE AKA 30K+ people lol. Just had the sensors replaced on the f1 unit and a new accumulator. So far car runs great mechanically. Also had the intake tubes cleaned out. I don't think they were ever cleaned, so cleaned them out when I put the new filters in her. New engine oil, new trans fluid, new belt, spark plugs and f1 flush. Don't think I missed anything on the 30k service.

7. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason

Try driving through LA and parking it down there. Holy Hell. I have to do about 6 mph over the pot holes on the way back from the dealer just to not bend a rim and blow the suspension. LA has to be the worst streets around. To top it off, try parking downtown LA. Might come back with no wheels or a new custom paint job lol.

Testarossa Sean likes this.
  8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    102,000 miles. :)

Keith Darby, CETH, shawdut and 11 others like this.
  9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    the value of these cars are very mileage sensitive. If you are under 10k then chances are you are not going to drive much coz of the value. If you are above 20k miles then depreciation is less of an issue, as the value for 20k and 40k mile cars are similar. So if you want to drive it a lot, get one with more miles so you are not as concerned about putting miles on it :)
    maintenance is a diff discussion altogether though. Chances are with low mileage cars, a lot of stuff are not replaced and they need to be replaced, most of them even still have stock headers

gsworld2014 and Testarossa Sean like this.
  10. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is the much overlooked aspect about higher millage. Mine has had just about every common issue replaced in the last 4k miles, and almost all under warranty since it was Ferrari certified. So a 18k car might not have the 20-30k in maintenance that a 30k car has yet people demand a premium for the lower millage stuff. Wait till you get the 20k bill lol.

11. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    Hit 37K on my 360 Spyder. I've only owned the car for less than a year and have put in around 1.5K. Mostly driving to the North Georgia mountains. My 06 Maserati GranSport, is just about to hit 60K. Mountains and also my airport car. My thought.....it's a car, so drive it. They're happier when being used. prices on these cars will fluctuate. look at the 328, about 10 years ago, were super cheap, now starting to appreciate. I say drive and enjoy

TAILWAG likes this.
  12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah baby! COHONES! :)

13. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I purposely bought my F430Spider with higher mileage. I didn’t want to worry about mileage as I enjoyed the car. I now have 29,000 miles and counting. Letting these cars sit is not good at all.

TAILWAG likes this.
  14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    COJONES!!

15. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Can't be much worse than driving in Chicago, which is the King of Potholes. In all my years of living here, I've must have spent at least $25K fixing bent rims, buying new rims, replacing ripped tires, and fixing mangled suspension. At least LA has stable weather. The Midwest has some of the worst roads in the country due to weather extremes.

I've heard downtown Manhattan is even crazier. Not only do you have to put up with terrible streets but also crazy traffic, crazy taxi drivers, and crazy jaywalkers. There was a YouTube video some time ago of a guy driving his Lambo through downtown Manhattan and some crazy guy on a bike jumped on top of it and took off!

16. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    119,000 and still driving .

17. andytr

andytr Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Leeds
    Full Name:
    Andy Murray
    Put 4000 miles on mine in year 1 and plan to average that over the next 20 years, she's a keeper so I'm not worried.

unreelviper likes this.
  18. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Bought my 360 Modena with 31,250 back in January. Put $40,000 into it . All sorted. Put 3,000 miles on it in 5 months and i work outside of the US. I’m home every 5 weeks and I drive it like crazy. No issues. How can you let a masterpiece sit in a garage not to be enjoyed by all?Drive it. It’s a car. Smiles per gallon I say.

G. Pepper and tonyc like this.
  19. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Have 35,000 miles on mine and don’t give two ****s about how many miles I put on it. The fact that people think 30,000 miles is a lot is sad. These cars were meant to be driven not to sit. There isn’t an engineer at Ferrari designing the car to sit and not be driven. Basic maintenance on this car along with the regular interval maintenance items is all that needs to be done. I’ve driven my car in the rain before too. Do I prefer it no, as I can’t have as much fun, but if I get caught I get caught. I swap this out with my three other cars but I still put around 4K a year on it. I would also not hesitate to take this car on a road trip. At the end of the day it’s just a car make sure you enjoy it. You’ll never look back on your death bed and wished you drove your car less.

Keith Darby and TAILWAG like this.
  20. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    how many clutches have you gone through? I hate that you need to really dial in the new reading since everyone takes the clutch wear very serious. My brand new clutch after 4k miles shows 25% wear... it was at 15% wear (and majority of the millage is highway going to the beach) almost the day I got it. The dealer didn't set it as good as it should be :/, now I'm keeping track every service to see what the real number is. How has your F1 system been: actuator, accumulator, sensors at 120,000 miles?

21. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My Spider just hit 25,000. I doubled the miles since 2010, which included several years in storage while I was overseas.
    I drive it in downtown DC, and I'll put our roads up against the worst in the country. However, we do have underground parking there. ;)
    The again, I would never drive it in Manhattan.

I don't care what it's worth when it goes to the next owner. I'll be dead....
    But they will still get a great car!

whatheheck and TAILWAG like this.
  22. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I have been pretty fortunate.

As soon as I got the car, I changed the headers with a custom set I had made as well as the cat-back exhaust. I did a few cosmetic things like adding a tricolore stripe, tinting the plastic window and adding a few carbon fiber pieces. Then changed the oil and discovered a leak that was coming from the A/C compressor (not the F1 system as it was originally diagnosed with - this took 0.99 cents to replace. I probably spent about $ 4,000 here but it was all by choice. The previous owners had just had a bunch of things done like a new clutch, actuator, bearing, CV joint boot and some other issues as well as replacing the battery and other things.

A year and a half later, I just changed all the fluids and gave her a clean bill of health. I think as long as I keep driving her and keeping up with the obvious maintenance, she will be a good girl.

23. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Ha, I live in NY and nothing turns heads more than my 360 with the captisto echoing off of the buildings. I’ve nevet driven in D.C but I’m sure the roads are just as bad as NY’s.
    To all the qarage Queens / trailer cars you’re wasting money on repairs as all the seals are drying up on you. How many people start their air conditioner in their house once a month? It’s the same principle. Use it or lose it.

24. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    That is a SOLID point. When I was shopping for F430s, I wanted a higher mileage one for two main reasons. The first one was price obviously, and the second one is because, based on my experience, higher end cars with "higher miles" have already had any issues or potential issues arise and most of the time, they have already been tackled or addressed. Low mileage cars - you just don't know what will come up next with miles, especially if you plan to drive them.

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    There was 22K miles on my 360 Modena when I bought it last August. I drive it as much as I can despite it's not a daily driver. Have put over 2K miles on it so far. I don't like the way others drive in the rain so I don't really like to drive it in bad weather. But with that said I got caught in a Florida monsoon two days last week and I really don't sweat it. The clean up is a pain to be sure, but oh well.

Resale value is of no concern to me. I have a couple of other cars I would sell first before parting with my 360. I intend to keep the car for as long as I can physically drive it! --- and then as I have said here before, I still may just keep it to look at. I'm fortunate to be at a station in my life to look at it that way. And no, I really don't have big bucks. But I do know how I want enjoy my life in these "advanced" years.

Wearing a huge smile at the wheel.

Keith Darby and Flyingbrick242 like this.