What i've decided to focus on... | FerrariChat

What i've decided to focus on...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SefacHotRodder, Aug 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ok. Lots of Ferrari historians focus on just a few groups of Ferraris to really concentrate on. Its such a broad subject, you can't really be knowledgeable on ALL ferraris, it would be too hard.

I've decided to focus on:

250 Specials (drogo cars, nembo, other re-bodies etc)
    250 swb's
    250 gto's
    250 Testa Rossa
    250 LM

275's

F50's

Brunei Cars (of course :D )

Collections

Historic racing cars (P's etc)

What do you think? Good idea to narrow it down?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i guess so, but why...? Why are you narrowing it down...? Are you doing some kind of research...? Will this knowledge be some kind of a means to an end...?

There's nothing wrong with researching ONLY certain cars, some people only research ONE kind of Ferrari or even ONE FERRARI in particular, like a one-off... i just think that if you try to learn about EVERYthing, some of the more narrowed-down things will make sense; making those cars your main focus is fine, i just think you shouldn't block out any incoming information...

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I can understand your reasoning! There can be such a thing as too much information, especially when Ferraris are concerned. If you keep files then it's even better to narrow it down because otherwise your run the risk of turning a hobby into hard work and when you stop enjoying it you know it's time to take a step back. If you can handle a lot of information, fine. But I reckon a lot of people - like me - simply don't have the time. There's work, family, relationship etc. There's more than Ferrari (hard to believe as it may be!)

Ciao, Peter

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    carbon, what i mean is that i will concentrate on these cars more than others. I'm not saying that because i will focus on those, i will ignore all other ferraris. I just want to know more about these than other ferraris.

Peter, that is exactly my reasoning

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Nothing wrong with that. I have an interest in all pre-1969 Ferraris, as many of you know, but my focus is on the Lampredi-engined road cars and the one-off/custom coachwork Ferraris (of all types) from the 1950s.

It would take a lifetime to be an expert on every Ferrari ever made (if that's even possible), but there is definitely satisfaction in mastering a particular area of research or, as in my case, even the attempt to master a particular area.

A perfect example of a well-respected historian with a very narrow focus is Bryanp's father, Admiral Robert A. Phillips, who's Ferrari interest lies almost entirely with the ten series II 500 Mondials.

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I have interest in everything from the Mille Miglia to the Traga Florio, to Ferrari, Alfa, and many other subjects....but my main focus is on "etceterini"...an enormous subject in and of itself...

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think you've got the right idea. I particularly like 250s, 275s, and the top big-money vintage cars, so as I proceed with registries and individual histories, they are a central focus. pre '69 is the way to go!

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wayne, i have to say that you were 95% of my inspiration in seeking out more information on older ferraris and starting to identify a car by its chassis #. I joined this site so i would get to know what the older ferraris were. Before i came here, i only knew of the enzo, f50, f40, 360, 550, 355, 348 and 308 and testarossa. I'm serious. Everyone on this site has taught me a thing or too about ferraris (well, almost everyone.. ;) ). Wayne, just looking through the archives and seeing all the information you know about individual cars is truly astounding. If i ever know half of what you know, i will consider myself lucky.

Thank You

Chris

zjpj, yes, pre '69 is the way to go :)

9. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    That question reminds me of my wife:

'John - what do you think I should eat tonight..?'

Hell - I dunno.... Whatever you like :)

Personally, I'd concentrate on....

Daytona, 275 4 Cam / NART Spyder, Lusso, 330 GTC/S & 365 GTC/S.

10. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Strange how these things grow, I started just being interested in the Boxer line of cars, then I bought a 308 progressed to a 328 and begen to collect data on these too. Before long I had started to collect data on 206 & 246 Dino's, then the almighty 250 GTO wetted my appetite for all things vintage, now I have database's on everything from all 250's right upto and including 550 Maranello/Barchetta and everything in between !

I just can't help myself, I see some information somewhere and think "Mmmm wonder what I can find out about that?" - the next thing I know I have nearly 2Gb of information stored and growing daily ??? Sad I know - I need help, the addiction has me in it's grasp and won't let go ?

Sad Seb :(

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats what i'm like. i just need to find a way to organize it all. I have a 40gb hard drive dedicated to Ferrari.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The beauty of it is - much like music - we'll never know it all - always learn something new.

On the side-topic and at the risk of "embarrassing" someone - I also hold Wayne Ausbrooks in high esteem for not only inspiring, but doing so unselfishly. I'm not going to further embarrass any of our astoundingly knowledgeable European F-Chatters who have also unfailingly contributed to this wholesome addiction.

13. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes. I respect Wayne not only for his tremendous knowledge but also for the fact he shares it with us. He is always willing to help anyone with a question, no matter how obvious. Yes, there are others too, and yes, this is an addiction :D