What kind of watch(es) did Enzo actually wear? | FerrariChat

What kind of watch(es) did Enzo actually wear?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by johnireland, Nov 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    In the classified section there are a lot of "Ferrari" watche by various makers. But outside of the Ferrari name I doubt they had any real relationship to the marque. But I'd be curious to know what the man himself choose to strap on his wrist. Anyone have pictures or information?

2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    E60 M5, desmomini and 375+ like this.
  3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Thank you for the thread, very interesting. There are watches commissioned by Ferrari, and there are watches (whether they paid for the rights to do it or were used to commemorate certain limited edition cars) that are nothing more than promotional items with "limited edition" to jack up the price. The picture with the Rolex on Ferrari's wrist is what I am looking for. Celebrities appearing in ads wearing brand of watch has been common going back to the 1930s...just as we see with the F1 drivers today. (I think Latifi wore an hour glass.) But seeing drivers and car makers and designers wearing their own personal watches gives a more personal glimpse of those people.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Mr. Ferrari’s Rolex is fantastic!

I think you are being rather harsh regarding the other watches though. The Girard-Perregaux watches, particularly, are exquisite time pieces. Piero Ferrari was involved with the decision to support struggling Girard-Perregaux with the partnership. See posts #23 & #24 of the “Ferrari Watches” thread (I own a steel bracelet black monochrome 8020 GP like the last photo of post #24).

6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I don't think they are bad watches...I have high respect for GP and all their watches over the years. But these are commercial tie ins. The watch on Ferrari's wrist is his personal watch and choice. I'd be interested in what were the personal watches that Fangio wore, and Stirling Moss, and Phil Hill and Lauda, etc., strapped on each morning as they began their days.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There’s a Jess Alexander picture of Phil Hill at Monaco while a technical advisor on Grand Prix. There isn’t a clear image of the watch but if I had to guess it’s a Heuer chronograph with a white dial and three subdials. Some of his watches were sold at auction a year or so ago, but I don’t think it was among them.

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Mr. Ferrari wore several manual winding watches - Not sure about the Rolex, but I know Jack Heuer gave him a gold Carrera in the 70's when they did the timing at Foriano. I think their connection ended when Longines showed up in the late 70's - I know he had several gold Longines watches as well.

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Here’s the photograph to which I referred. My memory was incorrect about the dial/subdials colors. If any Heuer (I’m assuming it’s a Heuer) experts can ID this one I’d like to find one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hey; my Ferrari by Cartier watch for sale is a genuine contemporary Ferrari watch from the Enzo era :)