What Modern Car(s) do you think will appreciate over time | FerrariChat

What Modern Car(s) do you think will appreciate over time

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F355 Fan 82, Oct 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Which modern cars do you guys think will be a collector car in say 2050. I'm not really sure anything built today is built in such small quantities to ever be a collectible worth hundreds of thousands. Well obviously the enzo and all the super ferraris. I think the Vanquish might be because of how few they make, but then again the Vanquish S makes it obsolete I suppose. What cars do you guys think have a chance at being a big time car down the line. My dad told me he owned a hemi cuda back in the day and he paid 5k for it back when and the guy he sold it to stopped by his business a year ago and told him he just sold it for 200+K fully restored of course but still. That would have been a hell of a return on investment

2. Minch00

Minch00 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Brandon McDonald
    Well, even the most basic of cars in the 50s are collectibles now, simply because the majority of them were destroyed or no longer in good condition. Buy a Chevrolet Impala SS in a rare color combo and an options list to rival a Ferrari, wait 50 years and see where you are :D

I think the Ford GT is going to be worth a LOT in the next 30 years.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    2000 Cobra R- With only 300 being made and many being tracked the ones with low miles will be worth alot. I think of the car as a modern AAR Cuda or Chalanger T/A.

1998 Viper GTR/GT2 I havent even seen what one of these bad boys brings but with a very limited number it was suppose to be a beast. Hopfully AJ will chime in and tell what one of these cars brings now adays.

Viper SRT10 Coupe- The cars that are in the Blue with white stripes are pretty rare and will probably be worth something.

4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    i forgot to mention the ford GT bc now they stopped the procution run. It looks like it might never drop in price period.

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    1996 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo

The last year and shortest production for that year.

6. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Isuzu Vehicross. I have seen one in my life. In 50 years, everyone will look at them in the museum and say "what the **** is that?"

7. xPortOfMiami

xPortOfMiami Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Carlos Daniel Yepez
    Truth. By far one the best cars to be produced and one of my all time favorite cars. Ford did real well with the Ford GT and kept production numbers low as well. Though there were some slight imperfections at the beggining with cars on recall, they came out a real success.

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You may have something here !
    I'll jump on the Ford GT bandwagon.
    Real and true production racing Vipers possibly, but most have never been on a track.Therefore they all are "new".
    My "sleeper" collectable is a Twin turbo last generation RX-7 with 365 miles.
    The way I see it a collectable is something that everyone wanted, low production, yet was extensively used. Used up. Most Rx-7s have been riced, driven, beat , and eventually will be discarded.
    Leaving me with the last "new" one.
    Just wish it was a Ferrari GTO. :)

9. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    97 supra twin turbo manual, low production number, and if you can find one unmolested they cost more now then when they came out.....

92 viper, handmade off the production line, very rare.

96 993 turbo last of the air cooled engines....

E36 E30 M3, later M3's suck...too electronic....

850CSI, very rare, get your hands on one if you can.....

agree on the Impala SS, if you can get the manual one, the rarest of them all....

my dates may be off, sorry

10. DavkeG

DavkeG Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Pagani Zonda.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Porsche 993, all models - the nicest TTs are already at or past original MSRP, and these cars get driven
    Porsche Carrera GT - rare, original, Porsche supercar
    Ford GT (a retro-knockoff car, but fast, 4000 built, although I'd guess almost all of them are being preserved, so I think it will be a long, flat appreciation curve)
    BMW Z8 (genuinely rare)
    Ferrari Enzo/FXX (genuinely rare)
    A-M Vanquish (if it is discontinued soon, as I heard it would be; rare, James Bond car)

I don't hold out much hope for any of the Corvettes, Vipers, Stealths, Cyclones, etc. The inherent quality just isn't there, and there are too many of them under car covers in every suburban garage. Ditto the BMW M variants -- great drives right now, but not distinctive enough to be collectible in the near future.

BTW, there are lots of nice '50s/'60s cars that aren't worth much considering their age. The Porsche 356 coupes (regular ones), are still barely worth restoring from an investment perspective. Only the open-top cars fetch any money, and you can buy old Alfas and MGs -- MGAs, MGBs -- all day for the price of a new Accord. So, old by itself doesn't make it valuable.

12. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I'm hopeful for the GMC Syclones and Typhoons. I'm sure their value will go up, though probably not anywhere near what some of the rarer muscle cars and true exotics are reaching these days. I wouldn't doubt that a Marlboro Syclone would be able to fetch 6 figures in a few years though.

Dino martini brings up an interesting point with the Vehicross. As I recall, they were only available for purchase online, not at dealers. There are 5 or 6 of them here in AK, and they are definitely interesting vehicles.

'89 Turbo Trans Ams should be going up in value soon too. They don't quite have as big a following as the Grand Nationals and GNXs, but they're faster and quite rare. GNXs are touching the $100k mark, so I'd imagine a nice TTA should be able to reach at least 60% of that within the next 10 years.

If I paid more attention to companies other than GM, I'd be able to give a little more insight.

13. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Definitely the Toyota Supra, I can only see prices going up from here.
    The Supra Turbo is the hemi cuda of the '90s.

Definitely the Cobra R, and I would also say the "Terminator" supercharged 03-04 Cobras.

Hard to think of any others at the moment, though.

I disagree with a lot of the modern supercars listed (CGT, Enzo, etc). While they will appreciate, compared to things like inflation it won't be by much. And really, compared to the initial cost of "investment" the overall gain won't be that big.

The Ford GT, while "limited production," still isn't really that limited considering initial cost and the competition. Also, most of these cars probably aren't going to vanish (mainly because of the type of owner it attracts), and many will go heavily undriven. While they will, too, eventually "appreciate," it will be mostly due to inflation and will only occur after a rather long period of depreciation. It may take another two years just for all the dealerships to move the remainder of them.

50 years is a lot of time though.

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Ok - here's an easy one:

Most convertibles do well over the long haul. Pick up an BMW M Roadster for around $20k (or even a Z3 2.8 or 3.0 at around $12 to $15k) and hold onto it for the next 44 years.

The M Couple version will probably have an even better return due to rarity.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Napolis' Enzo will be priceless in 25 years.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    nothing you think of. u need low volume and/or unloved when produced so the majority will get used up crashed and trashed.

my guesses:

omni glh, glhs
    syclone typhoon
    grand national, gnx
    buick reatta

e30 m3
    early 911's

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    agreed and the ford gt comments are right on. they are probably hundreds sitting in storage with zero miles and still in the wrapper. nothing is "collectable" from the gate.

18. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
  19. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    in 25 years? I bet he could get $10mil for it now at least.

20. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Blue and white 97 Viper GTS. They're already climbing.

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    last year factory oem Integra Type R

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The 993 Porsches. Especially the Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, and GT2 Club Sport. Possibly the new 997 GT3 RS. The 996 GT3 RS should imo. Carrera GT will go up in price after it finishes bottoming out in a year or so.

For BMWs, only the Z8 and 850CSi. I can't imagine the mass produced E46 M3 and E39 M5 and later doing anything crazy. Possibly the M3 CSL will appreciate, but nothing as great as some Porsches imo.

Don't know of any Mercedes that will. The CLK-GTR is falling in price.

All the McLaren F1 variants definitely will. Not even a doubt.

All Diablos will go up in value. Not the Gallardo or Murcie imo...

F430, 360 don't stand a chance. Maybe the Stradale. Enzo is already priced too high. Prices should fall. F40 will go up. Same with the F50 (US is already really high. Euro still low). I still think the 550 Barchetta is good buy. Not sure about the Super America yet. F355 might go up a little. A very nice condition one definitely will. 550/575 will be a classic in 2050.

Not sure about the Aston Martins. I think servicing the cars in the future will be their biggest problem. Is AM's future as a company even certain at this point?

23. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The 550/575 has to appreciate. No way it could depreciate further.

24. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    ..In the end:

how many FORD GT were produced ?

somewhere I read :
    early 90's Thunderbird SC will be valuable someday
    those cars are beautiful.

25. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I think there are about 4,000 GTs

Super Coupes are cool, but I don't think enough people know enough about them for them to appreciate much.