What Modern Car(s) do you think will appreciate over time | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What Modern Car(s) do you think will appreciate over time

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F355 Fan 82, Oct 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The Viper, NSX and Elise are the only cars not out of place in that list.

The only XK that will have strong collector value is the XKR Silverstone followed by the XKR100 and Portfolio.

The only other modern Jags worth mentioning that haven't been are the Lister Le Mans XJS, XJR-S, Series 1 XJ, XJ40 XJR (1st gen, extremely rare), and the Vanden Plas Supercharged/Super V8.

2. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    I'm a Mustang guy too.

My vote is that the Cobra R's are going to be the only one's that appreciate.

I would assume that well kept Mach's will do well in the future, but in 50 years you never know what could happen. I think the N/A Cobra's will be worth a lot more than the S/C'd ones aka 1999 and 2001. 2001 especially since it had all of the fixes that the 1999 had to be recalled for. Terminator's sure are pretty though.

I think all of these cars will be in their "prime" 2014 though. 50 year anniversary. After that will be a downhill road until 2039 when it's the 75 year and so on and so forth.

Mustangs have always been good with resale. Even the Mustang II's can go for quite the chunk of change if they are in good condition. A buddy of mine just got an offer on his for 14k and his isn't even original.

I would also have to agree with the Thunderbird Super Coupe. Sure few people know about them, but few people know about most of the cars in question here. There were so few, and they just look pristine for their time.

Peter Hatch

3. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Also,
    What do you think about aftermarket conversions?

Roush/Saleen for Mustangs.
    RUF for Porsches
    etc.

Do you think the rarity of these will make them worth something? Or the costliness of maintaining is enough to almost drive them out of the market?

Peter Hatch

4. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    on BMW's
    E30 M3's
    (US & Euro versions will only appreciate a little)
    US E30 M3--5300 produced
    Euro E30 M3---10645 produced
    Convertibles all Euro--786 produced

The special versions will appreciate alot!!
    Evo1--505 produced of which 200 were "Tour de Corse" versions
    Evo2--500 produced
    Sport Evo--600 produced
    **Tour de Corse--200 produced
    **Europa Meister 88--148 produced
    **Johnny Cecotto--480 produced
    **Roberto Ravaglia--25 produced

850CSI(basically the ///m version of the 8series)--these will definately appreciate!
    Euro(LHD): 1,125 built
    Euro(RHD): 160 built
    US (LHD): 225 built

Z8--555 produced(most sold in the US)
    E36 M3 Lightweight--125 produced
    E36 M3R--15 Produced especially for Australia
    E36 M3 GT--350 produced for the Euro market
    E36 M3 GT Individual--50 produced all RHD for the UK

and a bunch of Schnitzer and Alpina cars, I could go on for days.....

non-BMW's

Toyota Supra TT 6spd
    Buick Grand National
    GMC Typhoon and Cyclone
    early 90's Impala SS
    Corvette ZR1

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Challenge Stradale

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    More "modern muscle" cars.

The lower production ones.
    Some examples, SLP built '96-'02 Camaro SS and Firebird Firehawks.

7. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    None.

I firmly believe that there is zero value in the cars of post-obd II electronics.

I think that everything from the carbon fiber enzo to the designed by commitee F360/F430s of today will be electronic nightmares that are not maintainable long term on the original elecronics and the plastics/resins/coatings used on todays cars will deteriorate with time.

In 2050 the only cars from old that will still be able to roll are the ones that are simple enough to maintain (i.e. highly mechanical in design with minimal electronics) and made of real bits and pieces (i.e. wood, steel, chrome and not plastic with a tiny spraying of shiny paint added to it).

In short, I wouldn't be surprised if when you go to a carshow in 2050 you see some of the same 1950s-1990 pre-OBD II cars that you do at the shows today.

Obviously a couple of the post OBD-II cars wil lbe servicable and maintainable in 2050... i.e. think Mustang and other SUPER HIGH PRODUCTION cars that will have plenty of parted out beasts that might be able to cobble together the right electronics for a single car in a full restoration as a result.

Just my opinoin. ;-)

8. Moca

Moca Formula 3

Feb 3, 2007
    Hungary, Szombathely
    Full Name:
    Peter
    BMW 6er
    Mercedes CL 2007
    Mercedes CLS 2006
    Mercedes G Class
    Citroen C6

9. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Take the M3 engine, put it into a low production, lighter coupe/hatch, more under 1,000 of them, = instant collectible. 2001-2002 are the years, hardly any for sale as collectors are sitting on them. I know, I had one, loved it. Broke even on it when I sold it, got a 993 C2S which is also a car for any collection with under 2,000 made.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Mazda RX7 twin turbo - thrid genration
    Acura NSX
    Acura Integra Type R - 1997 & 1998 models Championship white will be worth more.
    Toyata Supra Twin Turbo
    Ford GT

11. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    90's twin turbo supra

slam dunk :)

Fred

12. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    How about a 89 911 turbo cab with factory slant nose. only a few (27) were made.

13. rosso_fanatic

rosso_fanatic Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Wes
    E36 lightweight
    E46 CSL
    Z3 M coupe w/S54 motor

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Ok, so can someone explain why the 97 Viper GTS in Blue with white stripes is so hot.
    That said i do think it looks great...Had a blast driving Vipers at Skip Barber too!

15. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lots of posts in this thread i disagree with but don't have the time to ask why some cars are in here.

I'd like to disagree with one car though. The Mustang Cobra R. Sorry, but i only see these being sought after by mustang guys. I used to love them until i saw 5 in a line at Lime Rock. Sure they are rare but they do nothing for me and i see their prices staying pretty steady. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but thats how i see it

My short list (i'll think of more later)

- GMC Syclones/Typhoon etc
    - Buick Grand National et al (Friend has one. Awesome car)
    - BMW E30 M3 (Varients, stock cars are too common compared to others mentioned)
    - BMW Z1
    - Lancia Stratos
    - US Spec Alpina BMW's (Z8 and 7er)

Also, to everyone saying the Enzo, FXX, Mighty Mac etc....the fact that these will aprreciate is a given because of what they are. I thought the point of this thread was to list cars that aren't priced out of the stratosphere but will start to soon

16. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Sorry to bring up an OLD thread but...

Well of course they will be only sought after by "mustang guys". That's who they would sell to.

Just like how only "gm guys" would buy the Camaro's Corvette's etc for probably what some will consider more than they are worth.

The R was the ultimate Mustang. Just like the GT350R's back in the day. I think they will be worth a lot more in '50 than the new "GT500"s.

Peter Hatch

17. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This i believe

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Again the cars that will have value are the ones the teens of today covet. This may shock you but the Supra is one, as are unmolested examples or properly modified ricer's.

To some the GTO with the big engine and hood scoops will be a draw but most of the hotrodding kids have not been into corvettes for 2 generations now. Mustangs will continue to be a draw as will the new camaro if it is a real hot shoe.

Oddly we saw an example of this at a Lamborghini event when one kid, amongst all that exotic italian metal and carbonfiber went over to Will's Type R Acura Integra and damn if he didn't start taking pictures saying OH man this is so cool... You don't see them on the street anymore.

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Already these damned things are selling for their original MSRP. I don't see them falling from that, ever, as the supply of cars is only getting smaller (unfortunately). I'm 20 years old and I've been dreaming of a supra probably since I was 13. Since then, I've seen the price of clean, low-mile cars just keep going up and up and up. I'm afraid even in ten years the price may be excessive.

Some cars I think they should just re-introduce. :)

20. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    most recent version of the rx7
    the supra- sold mine right after fast and the furious came out for more than I bought it for the 2 yrs prior

I agree with the mcoupe- I don;t find them attractive but they are a super rare sight

Ferrari Superamerica

Not modern but i see the toyota 2000gt appreciating quite a bit- much like the countach has of late

I don't see Carrera GT's dropping much more than they have

21. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    BMW Z1
    BMW E30 M3 Sport Evolution
    BMW 850CSi

PORSCHE 928 GTS

Lamborghini Countach 5000QV DD
    Lamborghini Diablo SE 30 in Anniversary Purple
    Lamborghini LM 002 America ;)

IIRC The 1975-1977 Lamborghini LP 400 (narrow body) was $55k back in 1995, now it is >$350K. Niiiice.

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I personally don't like 'em but my 27 year old son thinks the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is the "dream car".

The cars that are big money now at BJ are the ones that young guys wanted before they had disposable income.

23. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    E46 M3
    BMW 850
    Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 VT and SE
    Ferrari 355

24. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I dissagree. They are far too common and many people "baby" their cars because they are hoping they won't depreciate. Unlike teh E30 M3 where it is becoming increasingly hard to find a mint condition one. Think of how many E30 M3's (and E36 M3's to an extent) you see on the road and compare that to the number of E46 M3's you see

I would say that the 2nd gen. M5 (1992ish) is a better bet