What PDA do you recommend? | FerrariChat

What PDA do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ferrari_jjc, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
    I'm picking up a PDA for my nephew's birthday, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to get. Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend around $150-$200. It doesn't have to be too fancy. Just something that is basic, color, sleek design, and reliable. Thanks.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    nothing off the top of my head. I prefer the palm's over the pocketpc's in regards to operating systems, but that's just a personal preference.

with the integration of palms into cell phones, like the treo 650, it's difficult not to get away from it. those will cost in the neighborhood of 419. I have a few demos to play with coming in next week (hopefully).

otherwise, I always ask, does the person need one? two people I know, keep them and use them to their fullest extent. one friend uses it for calendaring and also reminders for meds. the other, my sister in law, she uses it religiously after it came free with a friend's dell desktop (palm zire - not zire + or whichever it is called). it replaced her dayrunner.

3. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    I have had many including wireless. My recommendation for functionality, cost and ease of use is the Palm Zire 31. Also if he wnats to upgrade in the future upgrading to a higher level Palm is very easy.

4. ferrari_jjc

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks for the info guys. I was just wondering, what are the main differences between the Palm and other brands such as HP. The sales guy was trying to convince me that the Hp was more user friendly. Also, as far as I know, my nephew will be using it to keep his schedules and reminders. That's why I'm hesitant to get something too fancy and expensive.

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    the main difference is Palm vs. Microsoft operating systems. The Palm OS is quite solid and quite stable, and the MS is just as well. I jsut have little experience withe MS's pocket pc, or whatever they call it now, windows mobile maybe? Either are very comparable, and compatible with just about any desktop to sync to. If you or he were looking for specific features, that's when I'd have to say go with one or another because of a particular application that one supports.

6. ferrari_jjc

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks Schatten,....very helpful info.

7. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I went PocketPC a few years back, and found it was easier synchronizing with Outlook than the PalmOS I had before that. but that was a Palm V I think, so pretty ancient by today's guidelines.

Probalby a safe assumption to say Microsoft PocketPC = more potential features, higher cost, higher complexity. PalmOS = opposite.

If I was to buy again I'd go with Microsoft - easier integration with more business app's, I think. If I was price sensitive, I'd go with Palm - no problem.