What People Do When They See A Ferrari. | Page 14 | FerrariChat

What People Do When They See A Ferrari.

Discussion in '360/430' started by randomguy, Nov 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Bless her :D

bernardo66, tomc and Afonsolaw like this.
  2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I just remembered this one..... As I was leaving the barber, I noticed that the Starbucks next door had its window plastered with several 18-20 year old baristas, checking out who was driving the Ferrari. I smiled and as I settled into the driver's seat, a young man with his tell tale green apron was standing uncomfortably close to me. He says, "Great car...... Can I drive it"? To which I replied, "No! But, if you want a ride, hop in"!

He was in the passenger seat quicker than you can imagine. I took him for a quick blast. The entire ride he kept thanking means saying that this was the best day of his life and that he'll never forget this day. He knew it was a CS. Quoted every stat you can imagine. When we got back to the Starbucks, all his friends were outside. I let him sit in the driver's seat for a couple of pic. I looked in my rear view as I pulled away and the grin he had was ear to ear.

It always feels good to hopefully inspire someone to reach for something in life.

3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    "How much does it cost a month?" It's paid off.... "ohhh".........

Corsair66 likes this.
  4. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I agree sometimes the jealous factor can bring out someone's insecurities.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just remembered this one...... I was driving rather 'spiritedly' on this twisty bit of road, and as I come through the apex of a sweeping right hander to start heading up hill..... I see the nose of one of Phoenix's finest police cruisers laying in wait. I slow and pass him at a reasonable pace. I check my rear view and it looks like I might just get a pass! As soon as I am out of sight I start thinking about taking off and getting away fast. But visions of making the 6 o'clock news with a helicopter shot of the chase kept my right ankle from flexing.

As I complete that thought, my mirrors are suddenly filled said cruiser's red and blues. I pull over and he approaches the car and asks if I knew why he stopped me. I smile and say, "You were bored and wanted to talk cars, sir"? He doesn't smile and just barks, "License, registration, proof of insurance".

After what seemed like an eternity, he comes back, hands me my papers, smiles and says....... "Isn't this the one that's like a race car? Boy did it sound good when you were on it"! We talked cars for about 15 minutes and he just told me to be careful. Crisis averted!

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Jealousy is just something that I never have understood. Early on in my life I realized-- and accepted-- that there is always going to be someone who has more than me. More significant accomplishments, more success, and of course, more money to buy things. Even as I graduate, if you will, to the next level there will always be someone who has more than me... ad nauseum.

Life is short. Just be happy. Contentment is underrated.

whatheheck, Corsair66 and Afonsolaw like this.
  7. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I agree a lot of people out there with issues... just got to swerve around those people and keep it moving :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #333 Drestless, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018

Attached Files:

9. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    A question directed to me as I got out of my Spider, "Are you a drug dealer or a trust fund baby?"

whatheheck likes this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Me: "Neither! Divorced, no kids, and retired!"

11. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Me: "Nope! I'm a pimp!"

This usually ends the conversation for me. :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Came in early, worked overtime, saved my money, lived below my means and enjoyed COMPOUND INTEREST.
    "Its a beautiful thing!"

13. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
  14. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Wow!! Great experiences being posted glad that there mostly positive. I can honestly say every time I drive my car it’s positive with thumbs up and big smiles mainly from young kids. If ever I’m parked and kids come up to me I’ll always let them sit in my car love to see that big smiles on there faces.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've have to say this thread has been fun to read. Growing up, I was cars 24/7. Drawing them, reading about them, dreaming about them. Drove my parents crazy. When I was 15, we took a trip to Fort Lauderdale for spring vacation. There was an exotic dealership around the corner from the hotel called the Toy Store. After much begging and endless badgering my best friend and I convinced my parents to let us go over. Ferrari's, Lambo's, Maserati's, Porsche's adorned the grounds. This was 1982 and sitting outside the showroom doors was a white on white Countach.

As my friend and I drooled over the cars the General Manager came over to speak with us. We were expecting to be told to keeps our hands off the cars and be careful etc.. Instead he proceeded to take us around the dealership and tell us about each car. At the end of the tour he asked if we wanted to go for a ride in the Countach and proceeded to call a salesman over. We were each treated to a quick tour of Lauderdale in a 1982 Countach. To this day, the kindness he showed my friend and I still makes me smile.

Fast forward 30 years and I've had some relatively nice cars along the way, most notably a 911 Turbo and now an 01 Gallo Modena Spider F1. Throughout my ownership experience, I've seen the good and bad in people and I guess the come with the territory. I'm by no means wealthy but I've done well enough and to be a member of this community is a dream come true. Hence when the opportunity presents itself, I remember the sales manager at the Toy Store and try to give back. A wave, a smile, pictures, small talk, sitting in the car or even a quick drive. When its young children, it's a little more special, the ear to ear grin, the excitement and the gratitude from the parents is priceless.

As someone said, if by owning our cars we can give someone a cherished memory, make their day or inspire them then we've paid it forward and we are better for it.

Attached Files:

• 360.jpg
      360.jpg
      File size:
      89.7 KB
      Views:
    MalcQV, Raconteur, whatheheck and 3 others like this.
  16. u2driver

u2driver Rookie

Jan 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Spot on. You never know what kind of impact you’ll have on someone. I’ll always remember when I was still in high school and seeing a guy pull up into Home Depot in his blue Gallardo. Told him I loved his car and he walked back to it, handed me the keys and let me start it up. I was shocked, but it absolutely made my day and it’s one of those random acts of kindness that I will never forget. I’m sure he’s long since forgotten that interaction, but I sure haven’t!

whatheheck and KVerow like this.
  17. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I have your attitude; never jealous on an occasion envious. I think people who are jealous are basically unhappy with their lives.

whatheheck and u2driver like this.
  18. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I always try to pay it forward too. You be surprised how many of my friends that are Ferrari owners are so humble. No one is cocky or arrogant.
    I was at a party the night before we were leaving early the next morning for a road rally and this 14yr old boy came up to me and was very respectful and asked if I was going on the rally the next morning. I said I sure am would you like to ride with me? He asked if I had a nice car like a BMW or a Corvette. I told him I didnt.
    I told him I drive Ferraris and his face lit up. I told him to be ready at 8 am sharp. He was ecstatic and I showed up I gave him a Ferrari jacket to keep as a gift.
    You never know the impact you might have on someone. I found out by his uncle that he was in a bad situation at home and his mother had to leave because the father was abusive. The mother and the uncle thanked me for making his day but honestly the kid made my day. It was a joy taking him out and talking cars with him

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalcQV, mchas, Raconteur and 7 others like this.
  19. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    I find that in most cases if an onlooker is going to make any comment at all about my 430 it’s really positive. I get the usual questions about how old it is, cost, performance and that sort of stuff. I really enjoy chatting to youngsters who have an interest in cars or engineering about the car, I always appreciated it as a kid when an adult with these types of cars took the trouble to share it a little. Having said that the only quite negative experience I’ve had was when traveling back with my wife from a Ferrari show in
    Lymington (UK) last year. This guy in a van literally screamed across a roundabout, some 50 metres away from me, that I obviously had a significantly reduced size of manhood only compensated for by driving such a car. It was both funny and a little embarrassing but I still can’t understand how affronted he felt to be so aggressive to a complete stranger.

He must have had pretty good eyesight too!!

Tony

20. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Most of my experiences have been positive. Living in Silicon Valley, there are a lot of nice cars so driving either my 16M or my Huracan Spyder doesn't create hysteria. I drive both cars to the grocery store, gym and pretty much everywhere except downtown SF as the traffic is insane.

Coming out of the grocery store, I'll regularly find people posing with the car and as others have stated, I'll most often ask them if they'd like to sit in the car and if it's a kid, I'll let them push the starter button (from the passenger seat) and fire the car up.

At our beach house in Santa Cruz, there's a lot of foot traffic in our neighborhood and as I was detailing the Hurcan in my garage I heard a mother and son having a conversation at the bottom of my driveway, "Ask him" the mom said... "No..." the son said... "Ok, I'll ask him", the mom said who proceeded walk up and ask me if her son could take a picture of the car. Of course I let him sit in it and it was a perfect opportunity for the mom to ask me what I did and to instill a little "work hard and this is what you can have too" lecture to her son. It was perfect and everyone left happy.

Oh the flip side are male workers in pickup trucks (with company names etc. on the doors). Typically not landscapers, but other trades who will tailgate and generally not give you a break. Jealousy, anger their lives took them in a different direction... not sure, but I steer a wide path around these guys because a) they're clearly pissed off and b) the truck they're driving isn't theirs.

whatheheck likes this.
  21. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One day I stopped in a grocery store parking lot to hit the ATM machine. I parked way out in the middle of nowhere, no cars in sight, so I took up two parking spaces. I'm not even at the ATM for two minutes. As I'm walking back to my car, I see this big, jacked up pickup truck parked parallel to my car, close, facing the opposite direction (so the driver is a minimum distance to my door), and this big guy sticking his head out the window as if he can't wait to say something to me. As I am approaching, I'm thinking to myself, "what to say - what to say - what to say". As I walk up to my car, the guy frowns and says, "So - you think you're special!", to which I replied, "Not really, but if the owner of this car sees one scratch, I'm dead meat!". He smiles, says, "I understand." and takes off. :)

whatheheck, rajagopalan_Kg and fc2 like this.
  22. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    wow, lol! I would not have been that quick to come up with that!

whatheheck likes this.
  23. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    That's why I always park neatly in the center of the spot furthest away from anything... you still have people that will intentionally park right next to you to be a jerk, but I feel like just regular being a jerk is much more likely to turn into jerk rage if you do it across spots.

whatheheck and dang2407 like this.
  24. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    "That's why I always park neatly in the center of the spot furthest away from anything... you still have people that will intentionally park right next to you to be a jerk, but I feel like just regular being a jerk is much more likely to turn into jerk rage if you do it across spots."

Truly sad we have to think like that.

25. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Unfortunately parking far out or taking up multiple spaces only draws more negative attention from all my experience.

I park the car just as I would my $1,000 civic. First spot I find that has adequate room to park I go in. Since I have been doing that I have never found anyone screwing with my car or have any door dings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk