What Rosso for a Pista? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Rosso for a Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bmill, Apr 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    You can sleep easy. Rosso Maranello in person, esp in the sunlight, is just amazing. The way it seems to capture the light more than simply reflect it is awesome! Really a wonderful color. Make sure to post pics when it comes!

Bmill likes this.
  2. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The picture above of "Rosso Maranello at night through glass" is from my experience nothing that I've ever seen with my Maranello 458. The La Ferrari in the sun is much more indicative. Here's a pic of my car in the garage. It never looks as dark as the pic above.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    This is reassuring to hear. The LaF is perfection to me as far as color goes, and the Speciale isn't quite the look. I hear it is incredible in the sun.

4. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Absolutely all of these pearl colors are great on the sun and they all look very different on sunlight and with no sunlight. Here is also an examle with my "Fiorano" car also. All in all - Rosso Maranello is a great color and I don't think you will be disappointed in any case.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and SVCalifornia like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The tailor made example for Rosso Angelo Lucido a tri strato is here below though that name was used for the paint on the Ferrari Japan series the J50 model. It is curious how that mix that in with Rosso Coburn as the same thing. >

458-Italia likes this.
  6. Marc Rachbind

Marc Rachbind Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rachy
    Just be glad that "this is your drama"...

Bmill and Lagunae92 like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Do you have a swatch of the colour ?

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    No swatch for the color. Just look at the J50 for the color to see how it appears.
    To my eye Rosso Coburn is more of a cherry red in the sunlight but indoors it appears a darker red but not maroon like Rosso Maranello for example.
    Even Rosso Corsa has evolved and personally I thought the 2006 version of Rosso Corsa was a more pleasing 'warmer' color then the current RC shade.

9. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Can't help feeling a bit defensive. Here's my Rosso Maranello 458 on an overcast day. I have to write that I would never describe the color, in any light, as "maroon."

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Who cares, man? Car looks awesome, isn't that the most important thing?

boogie likes this.
  11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Perfect looking

12. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    Here's my (admittedly very limited) opinion on Rosso Portofino.

I had a black and a grey 488 and said I would never buy a red Ferrari as it was just too loud for me. With the Portofino I had a change of heart and ordered the launch colour as it looked stunning although I only saw it indoors and under lights.

The car has arrived and as I said in another thread I feel having looked a quite a few reds it is destined to be a "classic" Ferrari red for the future. It is obviously purely subjective, but the colour is stunning but also a definite RED. I have not heard any comments about it being slightly "something" like "flat/orangey/wine/cherry/F1/golden/silver". The price is not prohibitive on the Portofino.

It will have it's own place and I would be interested in what people say about a direct comparison with the popular alternatives.

Gcsdave and of2worlds like this.
  13. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    As for Rosso Portofino I’m being told it would delay the car 6 months more then normal production. What have others heard?

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Metallic colors are a “no-no,” unless it is blue, gunmetal, or silver.

When I see metallic reds, I think of the latest and greatest Toyota SUV’s.

Keep it classy. Car stands out enough already. Bright colors should be solid, not metallic.

markcs likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The metallic is not the same as Toyotas etc. MUCH finer at least in the RCM . Actually hard to tell its metallic. But what it does display a greater depth in colour.

Shadowfax and Lagunae92 like this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    That Mazda metallic red is incredible.

Garretto and johnr265 like this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

But paint shops and pannel beaters are hating the new colours

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    “Pannel beater.” Last time I heard that phrase to describe an autobody man was when I visited Australia :).

I can give RCM a pass simply because the metallic is barely noticeable.

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Indeed it is, absolutely best red I've seen, ever. I think Rosso Maranello should be the closest one among Ferrari reds.

20. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Your very personal opinion... Here, you're like a vegetarian debating which is the best beef :D

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    This was my hope. Dealer said they could paint the Mazda red....opted to not take that route

As far as metallic reds, I am in favor of them, as my personal opinion. They still pay homage to the Ferrari “color,” but with a modern car’s creases and design characteristics, the metallic and pearls will show even better.

johnr265 and Garretto like this.
  22. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    My dealer calls this a RGP.

Rich Guy Problem

I saw the Rosso Portfolio this weekend on a Portfolio. Didn’t like it. Saw a Rosso Corsa Metallic a week ago. I agree with some others, just didn’t seem to be that different.

So, my wife, my dealer and I have agreed to go with Fuoco or Maranello. Yellow Calipers, the Argento Nürburgring painted forged wheels, black interior with Rosso accents. Also subject to your thoughts the
    Argento Nurburgring • Blu America stripe.

So who has a good summary of the difference between Fuoco and Maranello? Photos just seems so hit and miss, unless the cars are in the same photo.

Thank you in advance.

23. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Since I haven’t seen the actual colors in person, let alone side by side, I may not be the best resource for this. That being said, I have had samples of the two colors in my hands for several weeks deciding between the two. To me, judging by the samples, the fuoco is generally brighter, and more consistent from most angles. The Maranello is a more muted color that when the light hits, it pops, and to me, more smoothly and interestingly than the fuoco. It is a deeper color with more modulation. I didn’t want any hints of copper or orange since my Rosso Corsa has that. I wanted a more cherry red, with even a hint of maroon or magenta creeping in at odd angles. Though I didn’t see that as much in my samples, others with whom I spoke to about Maranello posted pictures with those traits in them. Someone mentioned the copper undertones of fuoco, and liquid silver for Maranello. I’m hoping this is what will be the case, and I will find out in July for sure.

24. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thanks for the detailed thoughts. I’m hoping for a bit on the Cherry Red end and trying to avoid a Maroon tone.

25. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Fuoco has much larger metallic flecks. I think the crucial thing is, Fuoco is amazing in the shadows and darker light but really catches an orange or bronze hue in the bright sunlight. Maranello is a much smoother metallic (thus the silver analogy), looks a bit dark in the shadows but is an absolutely perfect red in the bright sun. So, do you want a color that pops in the shadows (Fuoco) or one that pops in the sun (Maranello). Both are awesome so you can't go wrong but this is one man's take. In this photo, if memory serves me correctly, the top left is Fiorano, the top right Fuoco, and the bottom Maranello (with a swatch of Rosso alcantera). If you zoom in, you can really see the difference in metallic grain but otherwise, it is of course just a snapshop in time and lighting.