What should be my next daily driver and why? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What should be my next daily driver and why?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FUNRARI, Mar 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Agree. We have a 2008 TL Type S 6-speed in Carbon Bronze Pearl. Traded a BMW for it, and will be trading it for the 2010 SH-AWD 6-Speed. We actually prefer the 2008 style, but want the AWD and Alaska-compatible SATNAV.

Less to own and repair, but all the style and performance of the others.

2. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    I'd like to throw another wrinkle into the mix... :) I was thinking 4 door but I think I could getaway with a 2 door, (I drop off a 3yr old and a 6yr old at school, 2 mornings a week that is why I was thinking 4 door but a 2 door could get the job done).

Right now Jaguar XK8 (6yr/100K warranty) or a Porsche 911 (2yr/50K warranty) are available in the 30-40K price range, the only down side I see is a little more on the annual maint., than first 3 mentioned and the Porsche warranty would only last for 2yrs although may be extendable, (would have to check into that).

I have driven an XK8 and thought it was really nice-very comfortable and quite, haven't driven a late model 911.

3. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd take a 911 over anything else on your list. That's on my short list for my next DD. They are great values right now.

4. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    They are great values for sure, original M.S.R.P's of 80k+ on the 911 and XK8, will have to test drive a 911 and compare....

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    911 all the way. It is a no brainer. The 996's are a steal and with the exception of the RMS issue, very reliable from what I have recently been told.

6. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    So if your thinking of going this route it may be wise buy a certified car from a factory dealership, (at leat that way there's no surprises during the warranty preiod).

7. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Either that, or a thorough PPI from a reputable shop. 996s are likely out of warranty at this point.

8. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    We need a price range.

9. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    $25-35K and ideally not more than 5yrs old, dealer certified with a factory bumper to bumper warranty, the car has to be reliable....

10. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    What kind of MPG have you been getting with the MS3?

11. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    M E R C E D E S

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    On my daily 21 mile one way commute, the MS3's computer shows a 25.3 mpg average over the last month: about 5 tanks. So even if its off a couple mpg, I'm happy. And the MS3 is an absolute blast to drive...

13. Nick85

Nick85 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    911 all the way.

14. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    How about a benz SL? They are big fun to drive, (the sl55 and sl600 especially with 500 hp), and they're available with a full extended warrenttee. They can be had in the high 30's. It's a ton of car for the $$$.

15. nickdk

nickdk Rookie

Oct 21, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Nicholas deKay
    My dad has the AWD Lexus IS250. It is pretty nice on the inside. He hasnt had any issues with it. He lives in ME and it is good in the snow.

I had a 2001 BMW M3 for a daily driver a few years ago. That car was awesome. The maintenance wasnt bad. It is an absolutely brilliant car. The Lexus on the other hand is very bland. You can get them for pretty cheap now too.

I had a WRX when they first came out. That was a fun car. The early ones had some transmission weakness (which is why I sold it). The Subaru STI have better transmissions. There was one at the last track day I went to and it was one of the faster cars there. If I was in the market for a new daily driver (that wasnt a truck) I would be looking at the new STI.

-Nick

16. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    e46 m3 with the competition package. yeah the 335 is faster but the handling isn't even close.

17. FerrariFan111

FerrariFan111 Rookie

Jun 11, 2006
    #42 FerrariFan111, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    Funrari,

I am a bit late to the party but as I have some experience with these cars so thought I would weigh in. I agree that it would be hard to go wrong with a Lexus for all the obvious reasons. My DD is a 330Ci manual coupe, which is a phenomenal car. Enough room, fast enough for most (drove a 335i, BIG difference) and reliable but maintenance is above average. IF you will take care of it, it will take care of you. A good friend has had a TL and I am a big fan of the car (prefer the last style over the current one but that is personal preference). For a no-nonsense car that is quick enough and comfy, they are pretty good as well. He did just trade it for a BMW 328xi and is more than satisfied and considers it a definite upgrade. The Lexus IS250/350 are just too small IMHO as someone else mentioned. The trunk in the 350 I drove before buying my BMW was laughable. Nice cars for sure, but make sure they have enough room for you. I owned a Lexus before the BMW so I am also familiar and quite happy with them in general. I will own at least one more.

If a 911 is on the table, it has enough room for your needs and maintaining the car isn’t a concern, it would be hard to recommend something else. I have never owned one, but will some day.

Having said all this, I hate to say it, but if you want a bulletproof car that looks good, is comfortable, will be fine in the snow, won’t draw undue attention, has plenty of get up and go in a straight line and is whisper quiet, get a Lexus GS350 AWD or to save a few bucks, an ES350. I would prefer the GS AWD and will probably get one as my next daily driver. It will give you 85% of what the BMW will give you, but over a long time, will probably give you less maintenance cost than the BMW while coddling you along the way. And I love my BMW. It was painful even to say that.

So decide: max performance with some compromises =911, good performance and good all around =3 series or maximum comfort and coddling with as close to zero problems as you can get on average =GS350 AWD. Pick your poison.

Good luck

Mike

18. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Someone previously mentioned the Subaru Legacy GT. I was looking for a used one for myself but there were none in my price range. You really only want the 2007 or newer, the interior differences like MP3 CD changer, 60/40 split rear seats were important to me. I ended up getting a gorgeous 2007 2.5i Limited with 21800 miles for $16500 just last week. My wife had a 2005 BMW 325xi (pre-kids) and we loved that car. I would say the 2.5i Ltd is 95% of that BMW but more room. You can not fit 2 golf bags in BMW trunk. i can fit 3 cart or 4 stand bags in my Subbie. I do not need premium fuel, BMW does. I have done some spirited driving and the car handles the nuts! I have put 280 miles on it so far and I am getting 25.9mpg (90% is backcountry driving under 45mph). I still have 1/4 tank left from the original fillup.

If you can afford mid $20's the Legacy GT is a serious contender. I have spent HOURS on legacygt.com researching that car. I would NOT recommend getting one with Nav. The software is VERY old (maps are 5+ yrs old).

19. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    #44 Master Deep, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
    I own both a 2003 Jaguar X-Type and an 2006 325xi.

The X-Type, without even stability control, is by far the best snow car I have ever had. It has never let me down. Mine has been super reliable. Only problem in 6-years was a drivers power seat which stopped working and a tiny leak in a water pump. I redline this car at least 20x a day and drive it very hard. (Engine was designed by Porsche!!) Other owners have not been as fortunate. The Auto trans on this car is weak. Also the transfer case can give out and the propshaft is also has a somewhat higher failure rate. Those will put you out $1000-$3000 each. It's either hit or miss. I'd recommend getting one with the 6-year warranty. Other than that I love the car. They changed the interior in 2004 and I don't like it as much, leather is cheaper also. The design of the seats on my 03 as well as the 02's almost mirrors bentleys design to an extent. 2004+ is more generic leather seat design like you would find in a bmw or something.

My E90 has been superb. It's faster, handles better, brakes WAY better, but is a tad worse in snow than the Jag, but still fine since its AWD. I'd highly recommend this car over the Jag if you are looking for a DD. It has been buletproof and I drive it very hard. The Inline-6 is so smooth I never want to drive a V6 ever again in my life. It's seamless. This car is highly recommended. Pick up a 330 if you can and you will be set. The 335's are beasts also if you want to spend that much.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try my best. I'm active on both jaguarforums.com and e90post.com

20. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille

Where did you hear the engine was designed by Porsche? It is pretty similar to Ford's contour v6, with Ford markings all over the castings. It even has the same variable intake solenoid problem as the Ford V6

Trust me, you're one of the lucky ones that didn't have a bunch of problems

If you opt for an XTYPE, buy whatever warranty you can. I was a Jag tech out here, and I can't tell you how many transmissions (JATCO- Japanese Automatic Transmission Company) I have replaced. The $2 O rings on the varible intake solenoids will cause your car to jerk violently like a giant is shaking it back and forth so bad you cannot even drive it (no exaggeration). The water pumps leak like it's cool, and have you seen the trailing arms? They are stamped steel, we've had a few come in broken in two.

I am glad to see you love your XTYPE, but the majority of them are junk. If you find one with an extended warranty, you should be fine.

21. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    I really appreciate all the feedback guys, after test-driving several luxury sedan's from Infinity, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes etc., I kept coming back to the 3 series as it was the most fun to drive and plenty of room, (the current 3 series is as big as the old 5 series).

I know it's going to be a little more spendy on the maint than some of Japan's finest but I think it's worth it as I really enjoy my driving, the nice thing is it's covered bumper to bumper for 4yr/50K including all scheduled maint.

I settled on a 335i with sport pack, premium pack, navigation and paddle shift - I will call her the Black Widow, (black on black). :)

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Is that the one with the turbos ?
    If so that car can be tuned to wicked status pretty easy.

23. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    Correct, twin turbo set-up, the motor pumps out 300 lb-ft/300HP but the nice thing is max torque is available at a very usable 1400-1500 RPM. I've heard the car can easily be modded to ad another 100 horse, (something to consider once its out of the warranty period).

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Audi S5...I use an S5 Cabriolet as my daily driver and love it...it is far superior as a daily driver than my former e60 M5...

25. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    My buddy has a 335i, he has the JB+ (JuiceBox) chip on his car.