What should I buy ? | FerrariChat

What should I buy ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ectillett, Sep 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ectillett

Ectillett Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Tillett
    Hello- I am looking to buy a Ferrari or maybe two I am thinking a12 cylinder and a mid engine 8 cyl.. My budget is around 150-200 for each. I am thinking a 550 Maranello and an F430. i want one with the manual and one F1 paddle shift. Although, the more I look the more confused I get. I am thinking a 12 cyl manual 550 will not go down in value and I like the look of the 430. Neither one would be daily drivers. Maybe I should just get one for $350,000 ?? I am looking for fun but also I don't want heavy depreciation. I think the 550 and 430 are at the bottom of the depreciation curve as long as I don't put allot of miles on them.. I have never owned a Ferrari, I was always buying Porsche, but I want to go Ferrari this time ! I am asking for any suggestions.. Thank You !

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Buy what ever floats your boat best as the first then if there are angles remaining to be covered get the other to cover that - a lot depends on where you are and what your use pattern ends up being - there's loads of advice here on how to buy 550 & 430 in their respective sections - read loads & learn lots

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It’s in your heart. Which ever one or ones cause your heart to flutter when you think of them.. THAT is the one to get. You make money and get out of depreciation by luck. I just wanted a stick shift 360 when I bought mine 10 years ago. Luck.

Mirek and Viperjoe like this.
  4. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    If you are worried about depreciation maybe just get something else at a much lower price so any depreciation will be of minimal impact to you. Since you don't want to drive much for fear of depreciation a poster and model are much cheaper.

legendd likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Maybe you ought to read and learn a little bit about Ferraris first , before we see you on You Tube with your machine wrapped around a telephone pole, good grief lol And if your worried about depreciation , leave it for someone else who is not , because thats the wrong reason to buy a Ferrari. Good Grief.You , like a lot of other people all over the world, should not be buying a Ferrari in my estimation, if you dont know why, go on you tube and watch all the videos of F Car owners that were concerned about depreciation , when they bought the car, rather than knowing that they had absolutely no skill behind the wheel, and see what happens, its that simple.

Thank you .

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Uhhh 1st post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjmalez and Extreme1 like this.
  7. nicolaprince

nicolaprince Formula Junior

May 16, 2021
    Bologna, Italy
    Full Name:
    Nicola Prince
    My one cent reply: if you are looking for fun, then you have to test drive as many F cars as you can and choose the one (or two) that produce the largest grin on your face. But you cannot know this in advance or without driving them. For instance, I thought I wanted a 328 for the last 10 years but finally, when I seriously got into the search, I this model left me quite colder than expected (I remember that I described the experience as to never meet your heroes) and in the end I went for a carbed 208.
    Instead if you are buying for investment (=speculation), I think we should keep in consideration that vintage cars have no intrinsic or tangible value, and are just toys, and that market prices are driven by desirability. In the next few years there might be some fluctiations, but in the long run it is hard to say if any sum invested on a collectible today might produce any decent ROI once you put in the service, insurance, etc. And finally, given your budget, why to constrain yourself with depreciation instead of taking the chance to just enjoy a larger choice? All this said, with it I would likely get just a single 512 BB.
    Bye!
    Nic