What sporty DD do Ferrari owners here have? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What sporty DD do Ferrari owners here have?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Jun 14, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeCab

JoeCab Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    I have - the MX5 is a great car, they are so popular for a reason. I can't say anything bad about them. They are civilized enough that many people would consider them daily drivers.

The 4C is a lot more focused and "hyper". Fast manual steering and a twin-clutch gearbox that feels pretty mechanical. The car just never settles down, and doesn't have much trunk space at all. But if you already are comfortable with a 430, there really isn't a reason you couldn't drive one daily or semi-daily. You will definitely be grinning. They have proven to be really reliable and not too bad on consumables.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  3. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    imahorse likes this.
  4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    67bmer and RoyalPink like this.
  6. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
  7. MuschetteMech

MuschetteMech Rookie

Jun 29, 2024
    Tucson, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Muschette-CL
    hmm, hope someone replies this soon

8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    And I even like the color!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  10. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I am embarrassed with my DD! A 1994 BMW 325is, sport pkg., LSD, and power seats. with a little over 250,000 miles. It has been a great car! I bought it in 2000 with 74,000 miles. I have driven it nearly daily, auto-crossed, track events, etc. I would put snow tires on December through March. It has been very reliable and maintenance costs have been minimal. Because it has been so inexpensive, it has allowed me to acquire a Ferrari. It has been hit 3 times! Once in front of my house, once at work, and someone that didn't bother to let me know. I think this was one of the greatest cars one could buy.

People at work talk about my "fancy" cars, but I spend far less on cars than what I see in the parking lot. And some can be sold for more than I paid for them!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Carbon Bits, Willl, FrancisK and 5 others like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Right on, bro. I have a '98 M3.

NGooding likes this.
  12. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC / London
    Full Name:
    Matt
    EnzoItaly likes this.
  13. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Apologies for delay replying, I had not checked in on this thread for a few days.

On your questions…

Model 3 Performance to S Plaid compare - The Model 3P feels lighter, more lively, on rails, as well as it feels like it is spinning on a (imaginary) center axle in any turns/twisty’s. I also have way more confidence in intuitively/unconsciously knowing where the entire ‘footprint’ of the car is at all times.

By contrast the Plaid, while wicked fast, feels huge, heavy, and in turns/twisty’s you really feel like the outer rear motor is pushing the car into and thru turns (vs the entire car rotating/spinning on an imaginary center axle in the Model 3P).

For context, I had my Plaid while living in downtown Chicago so the car feels especially big in that environment (and always caused me to be conscious/anxious about if I was going to hit curbs, feels huge in small lanes, hard to see the vehicle corner edges from cabin, etc.).

Also, my Model 3 Performance is the ‘old’ model, not the brand new refreshed one that just came out. The new one is supposed to be even better and adds some of the missing luxury features of the S Plaid like vented seats, double pane windows, etc.

Model 3 Performance to E90 M3 compare - Different cars for sure but both have a similar and amazing “super fun to drive” factor to them.

The Model 3 obviously has more/immediate torque and off the line speed to the E90.

In the turns/twisty’s, the E90 is super fun to hang out the rear end with supreme confidence you are never going to lose it with the M Dynamic Mode, something the Model 3 Performance can’t match.

But the Model 3 Performance has equal if not more supreme confidence you can take any turn/twist at seemingly any speed and never lose it due to the center of gravity dynamics at play (e.g. it spins on an invisible center axle). It is much more driving “on the rails” at all times.

All amazing cars and loved them all. Probably have not done justice to them but these are my gut reactions on how to explain the differences from a driving perspective. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

oc23 likes this.
  14. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    Awesome, thank you. I should probably try out the 3 Performance before I commit to the plaid.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My pov owning both was the opposite, and prefer the S greatly. Mostly due to the air suspension and better seats in S, which made a massive delta. New models have since come out, might be diff now.

oc23 likes this.
  16. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    May as well ask you guys if you have any suggestions on a new "daily" driver for me. I'm currently driving a Model S P100D, and given it is 6 years old now the main screen is lagging just enough to bother me. My wife has a Model X so that is our family car, and I have the F430 as the weekender (gated). I'm leaning towards another Model S mostly because 1) I get to use the carpool lane for another year until CA gets rid of it, and 2) I do use the full self driving a lot on commutes. But I'm open to suggestions. My only requirements are:
    • Have to be able to put a car seat in
    • Wife has to be able to drive it, so no stick :(
    • I'd like it to be somewhat fast and fun :)
    Other than that, I'd just use it for local city driving a few times a week and 3x a month a long commute to downtown LA which is about 90 minutes each way for me. Prefer not to go over 100k or so. I've thought about everything from a used 911 to a used Aston to a bunch of random cars including the Lotus Emira (but wouldn't really fit my requirements). But my default is another Tesla. Happy to take any suggestions of something I may have missed.

17. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Interesting, I almost noted that I much prefer the Model 3 seats to the Plaid seats. We still have an X Plaid so I still go back and forth between the seats regularly and think the Model 3 seats are much more comfortable other than lacking ventilation (which refreshed Model 3 has now). Note that both my Plaid seats (S and X) are the 'original' (2022) ones, not the new seats they just started putting in the S Plaid this summer.

18. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    If you have car seat needs, that would be in favor of S over Model 3. I have a car seat (booster with back) in my Model 3 and it's a pain in the rear for kids and parents. That is part of the reason I am moving on to Range Rover Sport, kids getting bigger and want something easier for them and me.

19. Exvetteguy

Exvetteguy Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    Wolcott Ct
    Full Name:
    Eric Schifilliti
    ryalex likes this.
  20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I went from a P100D to a S Plaid and its a huge upgrade. I would highly recommend it. Its noticeably quicker, particularly at lower charge states. Plus the interior is so much nicer. I test drove a few other ICE cars but nothing could compare to the Plaid.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Another S.
    Money no object get a Urus, RS6?