What “starter” Ferrari should I purchase? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What “starter” Ferrari should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MaranelloDave, Apr 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Don't let PAP be your motivator...he motivates everyone!:D:D:D:D

Bite the bullet and buy an Enzo....

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #27 MaranelloDave, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
    Great information everyone. Definitely keep it coming!

Now the wheels in my head are really spinning. A couple of you have suggested stepping up, if I can call it that, from the 308/328 and going directly to a later model, such as a 348, 355, or even a 360. While I can afford to do that, I wanted to raise another issue I could use some input on. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I struggle with the idea of buying a Ferrari that is too "nice" as I am a bit concerned about how people will react to it. If I got a Ferrari out of the 80s, I could say something like "yeah, it's a Ferrari, but it's an OLD one" and "I only spent just over forty grand." In that way I could downplay the purchase.

On the one hand, I am hesitant to buy something too flashy or showy because it could affect the way people see me. Unfortunately, I have seen a bit of this after buying my Aston Martin Vantage. While most people were very positive, there were some that reacted less positively. Although I could take the "screw 'em, I've earned it" view with regard to such people, some of those people are my business partners and I am concerned about how it will impact my business (e.g., me garnering support on certain issues, how we distribute profits(!), etc.). So, my thought was that I could start with a "cheaper" Ferrari to get people accustomed to the idea of Ferrari ownership, and slowly ratchet up over time. I dunno, maybe I think too much and should just get the 360 . . . or sell the Aston and get a 430. Like I said, spinning.

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    The only person that matters is you, and how you feel about your purchase. For me, I bought a 308 because it was what I could afford. Got hit with a big service bill about a year in, and it emptied my car reserve cash. Since then, I decided that since it was now sorted out, pretty much, I would do my own work. It has been a true pleasure working on this car. Have learned alot and experienced joy, frustration, agony.........while working on it. Wouldn't trade it for anything. So my opinion is, buy what you will enjoy the most and you may find instead of stepping up, you may buy another. Good Luck.

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

You are asking our opinion, so I will take leave of these who tell you to do what's right for you.

If you are buying your first Ferrari, in this day and age, go with the 355. Buy the latest model you can afford and make sure all service is up to date.

THAT SAID, don't be afraid of a 30,000 to 40,000 mile car. These cars are wonderful, as long as the service/maint is up to date. And with a 30,000 mile car, you will see the price fall.

The 3X8 is a wonderful car, but only the later models has anti-lock brakes and the fit is very snug.

With the 355 you get MOST of the conveniences of modern technology, with a chance at a paddle shift or a manual 6 speed (which I recommend).

I've owned a lot of cars and a few Ferraris, but the one that still gives me the best memories is my 355--because it was my first.

You can't go wrong with the 355.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #30 BT, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Go for the 348. It will fit you better (literally), and they are dirt cheap right now. I had one for four years, bought it for $45k in 2004, and sold it for $37,500 in May last year. I spent about $11k in repairs / maintenance / upgrades. It was fairly reliable, and one of the earliest 348 made. Don't buy into the talk that the latest 348 is the best one. The early cars have many features that are more desirable as the car ages (no mouse track seat belts, aluminum cambelt covers)... Some of the parts are silly expensive, but you can help protect yourself from needing to buy them (fog lights covered with Xpel, etc...). The 348 has a pretty modern look while still being a fairly raw driving car. No power steering, few electronics, a very direct feel of the road for the driver. I loved it, and would highly recommend checking it out. They rarely look good in pictures, but always look awesome in person. People think they cost a fortune, and many people think they are the 'new' model. Good luck in the search.
    :)
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, but there's huge value in both the 550 Maranello or the 348 line right now as well......IMO there's some pristine 348s that would repesent a great deal!

John O Quinns 348 Competizione at $70K was a steal , last month.

Keels and Wheels this weekend if you can get down here before 3PM tomorrow I'll pick you up at the airport.....I haven't seen the whole catalog from both auctions yet....

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good points, Bill!

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    355s have a lot of issues......

Headers
    Valves (guides)
    Sticky interior bits (okay I quibble)

But the styling is very seductive...

360s

Expensive to crash (well they ALL are!! LOL!)
    Cam variators

The varitor problem is quite troubling, even updated ones have snapped off at the camshaft and it's "new motor time"

Heck just drop 150K on a 430 Spyder or coupe and get the Extended Warranty!

There.....fixed it for you!!!

9. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    +1

10. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    All Ferraris are fun to drive in their own way, so you'll get that no matter what. Resale value and reliability are another matter altogether.

Matching your under $50k 2-seater criteria for resale and reliability would probably be the catless fuel-injected 308 Euro.

For a starter Ferrari under $50k, the 4 seat Mondial 3.2's and Mondial T's would be high on my list. Valeo models might even score your "resale" desire.

If you tire of any of the above, then you can up the performance factor by moving to the lighter and more powerful 348 (which has several levels of performance therein such as TB/TS, SS/Spider, Challenge, GTB/GTS, Competizione, and LM). This is my favorite.

The 355 is a fantastic car, but it is delicate and expensive to keep in perfect running order (air bag computers fry with dead battery/jump starts, 5 valves per cylinder, electric seat computers, electronic shock adjusters, automatic convertible top, exhaust cutout valve, active emissions airpump, soft valve-guides, weak exhaust headers, F1 hydraulics and computers, etc.).

The 355 is very modern even now, 15 years later, but you pay to play in it. I would suggest the 355 for your second or third Ferrari, not for your very first...as it may be overwhelming not only in performance and looks, but in operation and maintence, as well.

Hold off on the 355 until *after* you get into the Ferrari groove with a starter car (unless money is no object). I see the 355 as an upgrade from an earlier Ferrari model...and if you like the look, you might even jump to the 360 as your first upgrade.

Or, you might consider going the Ferrari V-12 route as your upgrade path. A V-12 cruiser is a sweet upgrade option to perhaps ease the sting of selling/trading your first Ferrari. But again, like the V-8 355, the V-12 Ferrari models are not what I would label "starter" Ferraris.

Too easy to be overwhelmed, there.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    A Ferrari is a Ferrari, even if an old one. People are in awe of them or resent them. The amount you paid is irrelevant. $40K might as well be 40 million to someone who lives paycheck to paycheck or doesn't have a job.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... if you are going to open up the discussion beyond the 328 vs 355.... the F430 is the best thing Ferrari has made from both performance and reliability and even cost of maintainence. It's also the fastest, best handling, and most expensive.

I would also say that the 360 is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to performance now. The 308 is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to owning a "Ferrari", and the 355 is probably the best bang in the looks and sounds department. The 348 is no slouch either in the value for money department.

To me, find the budget you like and buy the car that floats your boat. Then, take your time and find a good one. In the end, that will make most happiest.

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I won't comment on which model is best for you, because I don't know you. I did start with a Mondial because I had always liked them, wanted a full ragtop and a back seat to bring my family along. I loved my Mondial, but very quickly found that I wanted more power and a more modern ride. I also found out that my family didn't really like riding along. I still kept it for 6 years and loved every minute....well almost. I now have a 550 and it's everything I want....for the time being.

I have to say that if you don't want to draw attention to yourself, do not buy a Ferrari. If you are worried that someone will form an opinion of you based on the car you drive, do not buy a Ferrari. Contrary to what you might think, most people will form a more positive opinion than a negative one. Frankly, if someone doesn't like the fact that I drive a Ferrari, I am inclined to not give a rat's ass about his opinion on that or anything else for that matter.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #39 TheMayor, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
    I think that's an excellent point. They ALL attract attention -- any model and any style and any color. Most people don't know the difference between one and the next anyway.

You buy a Ferrari what what it does for you. Not what it does for or against others.

Personally, having owned 4 of them, I find no other car can please me the way a Ferrari does. It isn't just the look, the sound, the driving experience, or the feeling you get in the pride of ownership. It's something bigger. Something that makes me feel grand --even priviledged-- when I get in it.

I'm hooked, and I don't mind at all.

Some guy may pull up to me with the latest Porsche whatever and it's probably faster and more sophisticated than my Ferrari. And, that's great. I'm happy for them. But, it's just not a Ferrari. It's not the same... and we both know it.

15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #40 MaranelloDave, Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks again everyone. Looks like I'm going to need to give this lots of thought. Your comments have given me some direction though.

While I was poking around on the Internet, I saw this chart of Ferrari V8 coupe progression, and thought I'd share it. It's not complete with every variant, but it provides a decent overview of the evolution from the Dino to the 458 Italia.

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #41 spiderseeker, Apr 30, 2010
    If you're 6' 2" or taller get a GTS and enjoy !!!
    Without the top on, height isn't a limitation. That's how Top Selleck ALWAYS drove it !

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    BDelp is SPOT ON with these posts:

Even in my now 25 year old 308 I have people asking me if its a new model. I had someone ask me already this morning if it was more than $100k when I bought it.

PDG

18. captwillieb 328gts

captwillieb 328gts Formula 3

Nov 8, 2008
    Cool, CA
    Full Name:
    Willie B
    Thanks for the family tree chart !!

Looks like you got some opinions after all !
    Good luck with what ever you decide to purchase.....

but when in doubt, remember that

19. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Haha, I will remember that. I have gone full circle and I'm again leaning toward a 328, for lots of reasons.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Cool chart....but I would argue (I'm just that way!! LOL!) that rather than the Dino 246 it should have shown the Bertone designed 308GT4..

Then, as you should with ALL Ferraris, you follow the lineage of the engine, V8s were explored by Ferrari in racing use, back in the 60's.....John Surtees' years, IIRC.

That's how the modern TR is related to the sports racing 312PB and the F1 cars of the Lauda years.

To the OP: Please join into your local chapter of either the FCA or FOC and see which engine noise or driving experience you like the best!

But based upon price alone, you are probably in the right spot, in the V8 Section....

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You buy the most modern one you can afford, after a PPI.

22. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    When it's my turn, I want to buy the most VINTAGE one I can afford, after PPI.

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He mentioned 50K... You might need to kick in a few more bucks than that if you're going that route! ;):)

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I was going to comment, but spiderseeker beat me to it.

Magnum NEVER had the targa on. So, height was only an issue for reaching the pedals.

CW

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think they modified the seat, too.....

That said I'm right at 6' 3" and fit like a glove.....helment hits the ceiling but so what????