What “starter” Ferrari should I purchase? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What “starter” Ferrari should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MaranelloDave, Apr 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In considering the classic vs. modern issue, another question has come to mind: Are parts difficult to find for older cars like the 328? I found an article online that mentioned that trim pieces can be hard to locate for the 308/328, and are very expensive when you do. Is that true? What about other parts of the car? Thanks!

2. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What the hell is a "starter Ferrari" ? The only thing I can think of is a plastic model of a Ferrari. Then there is the real thing. They are ALL Ferrari's. The only thing that really distinguishes them from each other is value. Some can only afford 308's, some can afford anything but still want a 308. So the 308 isnt a "starter", its simply among the most affordable. Once you get out of the 308/328/GT4/Mondial price range, you move into the 365/400 cars. Above them you find the 348/355/360 cars. Within these you may find some late 60's V-12 cars, but from here on up none are really what anyone would call affordable.

But dont ever fall into the trap that a 308 is somehow cheap, there are no cheap Ferrari's. The only reason 308's are semi-affordable is simply because the majority of them have never been treated well and most were driven into the ground. That will change when they start getting fully restored and overhauled and people begin to see their true cost. Until then, the market is still swamped with cars with rolled back speedos and grungy engines, just waiting to explode like the time bombs they are. And a heads up, a great many QV's and 328 are beginning to look a litle long in the tooth these days.

The age old advice still rings true. Buy the best car that you can afford, always get a PPI from someone reputable, and make sure you have at least $10K set aside for the extras. There will be extras. And if you truly want the car to be affordable, buy the books and tools and learn to fix it yourself. Thats when the real joy of owning a Ferrari takes fruit.

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A "starter Ferrari" is merely your first Ferrari, hopefully one of several that you will own in your lifetime. It's the car that introduces you to the marque. I didn't coin the term -- it has been used several times before. From the responses I have received, I think most on the site have understood what I meant.

I disagree that "the only thing that really distinguishes [the different models] is value." The cars have evolved quite a bit in the past 40 years or so. To say that the 308 is the same as the 458 except for value is silly in my opinion. They are totally different cars.

Finally, I never said I was looking for a "cheap" Ferrari. Cost is but one factor I'm considering, as I think is clear when you read all most posts in the thread.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    We understood you correctly ;)