What Switch Controls 360 'Engine Lid Open' | FerrariChat

What Switch Controls 360 'Engine Lid Open'

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ingenere, Jul 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I just completed a belt service, plugs, coils, clutch, fluids, etc. I had the engine cover open for about a week. When I started the car it wouldn't go into gear. I then noticed the little engine lid icon on the dash.

I'm sure a switch went bad. My question is, what controls that? Is it #17. That switch is the 3rd brake light, or is it something that I am missing?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 is the positive to the 3rd brake light. The switch you're looking for is the receiving end of #18 which is mounted on the grill/bumper/chassis. The micro switch is buried underneath or nearby the latch assembly.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The micro-switch is part of the latch assembly and is not available as a separate part from Ferrari. You could jump the wire in the connector in order to drive it. It would be smart to check the resistance of the switch when the latch is closed before replacing it.
    You could probably source and replace just the micro-switch by looking at the manufacturer and part number on it.

Dave rocks likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is it the type of switch that shows closed circuit when the lid is closed... or shows open circuit when the lid is closed? Warning lights often have common power supplies and use an earth from a closed switch to illuminate one of the lights.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    With a little surgery you can fix the micro switch by yourself. There’s a thread with pictures on the 360 forum. I used it a few years ago as I had the same problem.

There is a little arm attached to the micro switch that you give a tiny bend and all works again. And as above, the switch is located within the rear hatch latching mechanism box. It’s a tight squeeze but you can get in there to bend the contact arm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Qavion likes this.
  6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    While I am inventorying a few parts tomorrow I am going to tackle this. Thanks for the help!

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1
    I did the same 2 years ago and it still works.
    If you don't have a Spider I would jumper it but I have a Spider and I needed that interlock to prevent opening the top with the hatch open.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you know for sure that jumpering it will work, Fred? Different car, but on the F355 if you jumpered the switch, you would have a permanent lid open effect. On the F355 you have to disconnect the switch or remove the earth.

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes, mine was jumpered for a while and no alarm lights. But then I had an 'Oh fxxk moment' when I tried to open the top with the hatch open.
    Almost damaged the hatch.

Did some research and found out that I only needed to bend the contact on the micro switch.
    Been like that for 4

Qavion likes this.
  10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I recently opened the hatch and had on part no#17, the plunger, just fall out......
    While apparently not the situation here, being on the hatch end, it leaves you stranded, at least with a F1 !

While not expensive and easy to replace, not a good thing to happen. I can just see if you are showing someone the engine and pop the hatch, stuck ! ....

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I bent the micro switch and all is good.

I love this car but boy does it like to twist the knife sometimes!

Every once in a while when I pass it in the garage I think its laughing at me and thinking of what challenge it's going to throw at me next. :)

Bob in Texas and Qavion like this.