What to Coat Garage Floors With? | FerrariChat

What to Coat Garage Floors With?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by arachnyd, Apr 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    What do you coat your garage floors with?

All my garages just have bare concrete. I've been wanting to coat the floors with a durable surface, but at my last house, it was painted and the paint just started coming up real bad. I went to Menards, and the "Best Stuff" they had was called Polycuramine. I googled it and saw loads of 1 star reviews. urgh!

I've seen some WONDERFUL finishes on garage floors at peoples' homes and at shops... what the heck do they use? Like Rustoleum Epoxy? H&C? Cheap Self-adhesive vinyl Tile? any advice?

secondly, I have a few oil drips and some coolant loss thats soaked into the concrete. Should I just work that out the best I can before I cover it, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks!

2. Rowan

Rowan Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    It needs to be professionally done - I had it done at one of my homes.

1. Concrete is skim ground with a flat diamnod wheel
    2. Acid etch
    3. Epox put down and cures for 24 hours
    4. Flakes or designs added (if desired) followed by a super hard clear coat (anti-skid if desired).

The end product is a nice looking customized surface that is durable, won't pull up, and is easy to clean.

The cost can vary anywhere from 5 to 8$/square foot - shop around

3. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Thanks! I didn't even know there were companies that do it. I'll look around.

At that price though, is it better just to do tile? 1400 sf at $8/sf = $11,200. Garage Tile is $3.29/sf, or $4600. I'll call around though. thanks!

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    There's at least a few dozen threads on this very topic here over the years. The search is your friend.

5. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Unfortunately I don't find "search" my friend....

There's like 50 threads about "Epoxy is great" yet when I went to the store to buy epoxy, the stuff I almost bought gets a nice clean 1/5 star rating on the review sites. All the specific product reviews say things like "Comes right up"

In other words, "In attempting to take everyone's advice, what the heck do I do?"

What is "Good Epoxy" vs the "Bad Epoxy" evidently at the store?

In threads like: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/garage-floor.406051/#post-142269862

I don't see one reference to a brand of "good epoxy"...

tonyswfla likes this.
  6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am with you, for all the info, no one really says what an available good epoxy is. Getting a professional to do things is fine, but I still want to know what they are using, or know that they are using something that will actually last. Of course I get that it is all about the prep. The fact is you can rent a grinder, etch it with acid yourself and then put on the coating. So perhaps a pro can recommend a product that is generally available?

I hear some pro's use epoxy first, and then a top coat of a polyaspartic paint, for hardness and light stable attributes?

7. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    "Epoxy" is kind of like saying "I use latex paint on my walls". That doesn't help a whole bunch given theres hundreds of brands and even styles with each brand.

Maybe the answer is to hire pros to do it (that is certainly an option), but I still like to educate myself on what the "pros are doing" both to make that call and so I know what I'm hiring someone to do.. haha.

Thanks for the thoughts!

8. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good timing!..Had mine epoxied yesterday and looks amazing.
    Apparently key is to grind off old paint and contaminents from concrete first, ie, good preparation .
    So process was..floor grinder, grind out and fill any cracks, base coat, flakes added, sets then clear. Clear coat was still tacky when I got home last night but dry this morning.
    No cars for 3 days till cures properly.
    Was going to use Rustoleum DIY but decided to let a pro do it as old epoxy paint had to be removed.
    Here's a pic..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350, Jasonberkeley, WATSON and 2 others like this.
  9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Big difference between the stuff you by at the hardware store labelled "epoxy paint" and what is being put down as above. The stuff from the store is ok, if you just want something cheap an cheerful, that you accept will peal and will need to be re-done every so often. I don't know a huge amount about it other than you'd be comparing apples with oranges!

If you want a "proper job", as they say, epoxy screed or tiles. (As an aside did your cost comparison above include the cost of tile adhesive and grout? That can easily add 50% plus to the cost of tiles per sure foot covered.)

I've just painted mine in epoxy paint as I didn't have the money to do anything else, and the boss was not impressed when I mentioned garage and tiles in the same sentence!! Its fine, keeps the dust of the concrete down, but does peel here and there and isn't a uniform colour; but a £50 for a double garage I was fine with that. Maybe next time I get the tiles and I'll sneak in some underfloor heating :)

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Griots Garage offers a 2-part garage floor epoxy/paint that works great and is super high quality. I did it myself on my previous house’s garage floor, worked great for years, never peeled. Moved into our new house a couple years ago, went with a cheaper product found at Sherwin Williams, started to peel in the first month.

Lesson-if you want to do it yourself, nothing better than the Griots Garage products.

Sent from my iPod touch using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Yours looks great. Thanks a lot for sharing!

The tiles I was looking at are the interlocking ones that don't need either. They get good "reviews" but I haven't met anyone on HERE or in the real world that actually use them (so if anyone has, speak up!):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greatmats-Diamond-Top-1-ft-x-1-ft-x-1-2-in-Yellow-Polypropylene-Interlocking-Garage-Floor-Tile-Case-of-24-GFTBestDiamYEL24/206414264

What brand did you use?

Thanks a ton! I've been looking for a specific brand recommendation, and I just checked it out. Its not even more expensive than the other brands.

greg328 likes this.
  12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Great! Griots Garage products are super high quality, you’ll be pleased!

Sent from my iPod touch using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just bought some 100% epoxy from armorpoxy (most of the cheaper stuff you see is water based) and am in the process of applying it. You can rent a concrete grinder from Home Depot if you want to do the application yourself. The prep work is key.

Scott

arachnyd likes this.
  14. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Do yourself a favor and please listen.
    I am a serious DIY guy. I do most of my car and house repairs.
    I wanted an nice epoxy garage floor and I did all the research.

In the end that research steered me away from the DIY epoxy for garage floors.
    The primary part, as mentioned is the prep.
    Poor prep = poor adhesion = paint separation after hot tires cool on the epoxy floor.

I had a coating company do mine.
    1. Shot blasted the entire floor to reveal fresh concrete.
    2. Sealed all the seams
    3. Epoxy coated with paint color flakes
    4. Urethane top coating.

Here it is after 5 years of use:

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I saw this picture in another thread. It looks good.

I also tend to like to DIY or at least become knowledgeable enough TO be a DIY even if I pay someone else to do it!

I appreciate the thoughts. I'll continue to look into some professional places . Do you know what brand they used here?

If I DIY, I'll look into Armorpoxy and Griots, but I should at least hear out a company that does it and get some quotes.

16. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    I'm in the epoxy floor business, and can talk for hours about this stuff. The most basic steps to follow if you plan to do it yourself are as follows:
    Rent a grinder, with dust collection.
    Grind, grind, grind, then grind more.
    Chase out ( take a hand grinder with V shaped cutting wheel, and cut 1/4" out of the crack)
    Fill those cracks with a crack filler.
    Vacuum floor with concrete vac in both directions. then blow out with electric leaf blower.
    Use a high quality 100% solid epoxy. Look on the data sheets for the solids content.
    Apply flake into the wet base coat, you just applied. -on a typical 2 car garage, you'll need 50lbs or so. Can get away with less, but less isnt more....
    Scrape excess flake off, and vacuum floor.
    Apply polyaspartic topcoat( Ideal as it wont yellow) or Epoxy top coat ( if you dont care if it yellows)
    Optional -Apply Urethane topcoat with aluminum oxide.

There have been a number of discussions on flooring if search for epoxy.

I personally think its not something you want to do yourself. The equipment costs 20k and up for a decent setup, and its very specialized to concrete work. Leave it to a company who stands behind their work.

Things to stay away from when shopping for Epoxy:
    Be weary of 1 day coatings - I dont trust them. They cure too quick in hot climates, and dont have the "bite" epoxy does.
    Be weary of any "professional" who uses a power washer, and acid to prep the floor
    BE weary of anyone who offers a lifetime warranty.

I love to jump on the floors with my guys to do the epoxy. ITs fun. ITs just also very dirty, dusty, and vary manual labour intensive. Its well worth to hire someone to do it.

17. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    thanks for your perspective! Not only is this helpful for me but I'm sure many others who search for this in the future. It sounds like "Brand" of epoxy isn't a huge deal then if a reputable company does it?

I haven't given up doing it myself, but I'm leaning more towards having someone else do it based on everything I'm learning, so thanks a lot!

WATSON likes this.
  18. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Great info. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

As for the equipment cost. No ****....this was the day they shot blasted my floor and started the seam seals.

19. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    As long as the company stand behind their work then its fine. I used a new crack filler many years ago
    Thanks you! As I said, I can talk epoxy all day long. I totally nerd out on it. My main business is custom closet organizers, but we do custom garages as a side business. I'm a car guy so I love it. I also nerd out over the epoxy since its fairly scientific. Much more than one would think.

In your case, thats overkill for a residential garage. When we do typical home garages ( 2-5 car) . we dont bring out our heavy machinery. Those **** Blasters, truck generators, and vac's are super heavy duty. They're meant for 1000 Sq feet and up. Like a warehouse. If I had to guess, I'd say that trailer, and equipment it holds is worth 100k or so. You know what your floor costs, so think of the breakeven. Chemical alone is probably $3 USD/ Sq foot. I'd love to see the full setup in action.

20. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The guy who did my floor sub-contracted the concrete prep. He said it was more than he wanted to personally handle...1500 square feet.
    That guy was a friend of his and I think he did it pretty cheap as they were headed off to another job. Some rail road bridge across town.
    I showed up and was shocked at what was going on. My new neighbors thought I was insane....so they figured me out early.
    They were here and gone in about 2 hours. Amazing.

But it has held up amazingly well. Worth every nickle.

...and it is shot blaster, not **** blaster. hahahaha :)

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I see you raised the door tracks since. Lift on order? :)

I love the size of that garage. Mine is too shallow (22 feet) :(

WATSON likes this.
  22. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Old eagle eye at it again...nice catch.

The garage door guys around here wanted between $3,800 - $4000 to do the highlift conversion and add the Liftmaster 8500's on the two doors. $4,000?...no ****ing way!

So, I found a place on line and bought a two-pack of the 8500's for $600.

DDM Garage Doors took all my measurements, door weights and built up a high lift kit with the proper springs, cables, pulleys and track for $500.
    http://ddmgaragedoors.com/

Two weekend's later...tada!

Lift is in the works....scissors lift that will sit in the floor underneath the TR8.
    No real rush. Perhaps this fall. But I do intend on doing my own engine out so it has to go in within the next 6 years (ducking for cover)
    :)

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Get a 2 post. Nuff said :)

24. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Too ugly.
    Takes up too much room
    I have certain "look" I am after when it is not in use.
    Yea, I am that vain....you know that. :)

25. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I don't care to look at the garage doors and their tracks on the ceilings so I went with motorized all wood carriage doors that open outward. They operate either remotely or via a wall switch and are very quiet.

http://www.carriagedoor.com/pdf/carriagehouse_wood.pdf