what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by schlegele, Oct 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    I think it was in basically this shape. My mother says he took quite few parts off the car to prevent theft, but she says she still has all of them (door handles, emblem, mirrors, inside door panels, center console, etc.

2. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Didn't mean to scare you off…..

If I may, where is the car located?

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    schlegele,

Apparently it's the 5th 330GTS made. It was originally sold through Chinetti in 1967.

Its difficult to tell what condition the car is in from the close-up picture of the chassis plate, but if is not too rusty and still has its original paint, it may be rather desirable to revive it and just freshen it in its present condition. This is because there is a trend toward original condition.

Unless the car is a complete disaster, it should be worth north of $1.5 million. No matter what you want to do with the car, I'd reach out to Tom Yang Tom Yang's Ferrari Restoration Site. He will do a good job educating and advising you regarding whatever you decide to do with the car.

Regards,

Art S.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bookmarking...

5. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks to everyone so far for advice. I only posted the chassis plate picture for now because the only other pictures I have are ones my mother sent. I am going to look at the car and take better pictures in the middle of November. The car definitely needs works, but it is very hard to tell whether it can be just freshened up or if it needs a lot more attention -- it has been in our garage under cover since 1969!. I will get back on later in November once I see it close up and check for completeness of parts. Main question I have at this point is whether or not doing a full restoration will yield a return on the investment. I know a full restoration will be in the several hundred thousand range, but do you get more than put in back out? Never restored a car so I have no idea.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If you don't need the cash, hold onto it as is. It's only going up in value. You could put it on a trailer and take it to major events and be a star, people love barn finds.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    If this car has truly been sitting in your mother's garage since 1969, please do not restore it. My suggestion is to sell it as-is to someone who 1) appreciates the "time capsule" aspect; and 2) has the means to make the car mechanically and safely sound without spending as much as it would cost you to do the same - in other words, someone who is already in the business of buying/restoring/repairing these cars.

If you choose to embark on a restoration, not only will it be costly, but you will destroy that which makes your car unique and desirable.

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Correct me if I'm wrong Wayne but money spent on restoration is unlikely to be entirely recouped on sale. Not only does an un restored car have particular value but it's often the case that the buyer of a restored car feels the need to redo some of what's been restored.

Thanks for sharing a fascinating find.

9. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tom S. will be all over this in 3……2…..

:)

Seriously, the pics of the hood, interior, dash, etc. that were up before you took them down certainly attest to what Wayne is saying above. A car is original only once. Anybody with the funds can make it new again.

10. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Or Wayne C. for his TV show.....................

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Schlegele,

Current market trends favor originality. You may actually get the most for the car as it sits -a barn/garage find. If your intention is to sell, you will likely do best by selling it untouched, as is - probably at a high end auction.

Personally, I'd get it running (by someone who really knows what they are doing) and enjoy it for a while before selling it. Who know's you might like it!

Regards

Art S.

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Schlegele, where are you located? And if yours is a different location than your father/mother, where are/were they located?

13. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    If it has been in the family since 1969 it probably owes them $5,000 !! $300,000 should restore it and still be able to retain some of the patina. So the answer to his question is that there is no downside. Only will he make $300k more by leaving it untouched and unserviceable? Either way there is $1m + to bank !

14. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    To answer a few questions quickly. I'm in the dallas area. I prefer not to say where my mother is at this time. Putting up a front shot of the car. I have talked to a few restoration shops, but I don't want to mention any of them just yet. Does anyone have any recommendations for a restoration/recommission shop that is not terribly far from Dallas? I am intrigued by the idea of recommissioning and driving it around a little. Would that detract from the value when we decide to sell?

15. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    #40 schlegele, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I'm sure it is painted as the body wouldn't be the colour it is now if it wasn't, but to my eyes the body looks like its in bare metal in your picture.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Looks like it was prepped for paint and work stopped.

18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    TO me that looks like a very patina'd shade of silver or light blue...

19. kjslider

kjslider Rookie

Apr 4, 2006
    Wow, I want it.

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #45 msdesignltd, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Notorious for Asymmetry..Ferrari would never of had bare metal without bondo showing..
    does look like a metal press just clicked those fenders out...but we know its hand hammered.
    This is going to be a heck of a thread!
    auction it for charity and it'll hit 5 million.

21. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    where is the car located?

dry climate, southwest, or humid, northeast/midwest……?

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes. Totally erases the "time capsule hidden from the world, untouched, for the past 45 years" factor. If you send this to a restoration shop and they touch the paint, chrome, interior, etc, you have just set a pile of money on fire.

23. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    True, but it sounds like he was talking about reassembly and mechanical work to get it running and driving, not cosmetic restoration. I think that reassembly would actually increase value, as it would show that the car is complete and not missing some hard-to-find parts. As long as done by a professional who wouldn't damage it in the process (e.g., spin a bearing in the engine by not dropping the pan and completely replacing the sludge with fresh oil before starting), I think that getting it running/driving would also increase value.

24. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    When in 1978 I bought my 1967 365GTC speciale - a 330 with a factory-installed Typ 245 engine installed - the speedo/odometer was busted and kilometrage stuck at approx 11,000km; Chinetti installed a sound but 'pre-owned' instrument with about 6K km on the odometer. Not at all unusual in those days.

25. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Why did your dad take it (or have it taken) apart? Was it really being prepped for paint?

I tend to agree with the school of thought that, given it's in the middle of work, getting it running and completed would help the value. If it was running/driving when parked, then leaving it untouched would be the way to go, but if it was a partially completed restoration project when parked, then I would think finishing it would be better.

Are partially completed restoration projects selling for more than running/driving cars?