what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage | Page 3 | FerrariChat

what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by schlegele, Oct 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #51 ArtS, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    schlegele,

Based on the second picture shown; the paint looks original and quite good (relatively speaking).

Wayne is correct. You will lose all costs associated in recommisioning and the 'barn-find premium' which in total may be several hundred thousand dollars. I think collectors consider cars like yours virgins and pay the premium for it - its not rational, but auction results have cosistently demonstrated this. Thus, the highest return it to literally sell the car as-is, including the dirt and dust.

However in selling it as-is, untouched, you will miss experiencing a really neat toy that your father owned. If you decide to fix it, make sure they have a lot of vintage Ferrari experience (don't skimp on this, it will cost you more in the end)

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If you decide to fix it, I believe Norwood Performance www.norwoodperformance.com is highly regarded and local to you (I not have personal experience with them).

2. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    James Patterson at Norwood is the guy to talk to. He works on my Queen Mother and my 330 GTC.

3. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    Great advice by all. Paint is original as far as we know. The car was silver with red leather interior. I'm speculating on why my father took so many parts off the vehicle, but I think the primary reason was to deter theft (bit of paranoia). My father was a diesel truck mechanic by trade, as was his father. He was an avid Formula 1 fan and loved cars so I believe his intent was to fix the car up by himself. I am 41 years old and I don't remember ANY work on the car. In fact, I never remember it being uncovered, so I don't think any restoration work has ever been attempted.

My brother went there recently and has found many of the parts that were removed (door handles, mirrors, red leather door covers, center console, etc).

The car is in the Northeast US.

4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I agree that if you sell, sell 'as-is' - if you restore, try John Tirrell's Independent Ferrari Service in Easton Mass. Last spring John did the major belt service for my 575M Maranello and just completed service and installation of new exhaust system on my 412GT (that is for sale). IFS supports several Challenge race cars. I was in his shop last Friday and saw, among others, a 250GTE and two 275GTB 's there, a short-nose and a long-nose torque-tube car. Very knowledgeable and reliable man.

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Another shop to consider is Black Horse Garage in Bridgeport, CT. They've done excellent work on my 550 Maranello and have significant Enzo-period Ferrari experience.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Understood. I only ask because I have a different history in my database than what you've posted here; so I'm just trying to get the facts straight.

7. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    Carbfax, the vehicle was purchased at auction on 09/16/69 in New Jersey. I would love to know what history you have in your database as I have been completely unsuccessful in getting records from the Auctioneer or the insurance company that sold it. You can send me a private message if you do not want to share in the thread. Thank you!

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Had the car previously been stolen or damaged for an insurance company to sell it?

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    One of the worlds best restoration shops is in Essex Mass. Give Paul Russell a call if only to get advice from someone who knows the business better than almost anyone else.
    Whatever you do don't rush to action. Opportunities like this are extraordinarily rare.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The first owner was Samuel Scher of Mamaroneck, NY. But then I have a guy named Ron Press buying it from Wide World of Cars, 05 December 1995.

11. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    Interesting. I have an expert meeting me when I go see the car to verify engine stamp, chassis stamp, etc. We'll see how that turns out.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Much obliged, thank you and good luck; we're all looking forward to an update.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Were there ads in FML or other publications around the 1995 sale? Or could the serial number of the car sold then have been a typo or something, or are there multiple confirmations?

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No FML ads as far as I know, and the information is from only one source. But it's a really good source.

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Schlegele,

As the car is in the northeast, I would recommend Francois Sicard. I would also recommend going through Tom Yang for the intro.

Regards,

Art S.

16. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi Schlegele,

thanks for coming to FerrariChat and starting this thread, an absolutely intriguing story and one that i am sure has grasped the attention of many a true enthusiast on here, very much looking forward to further instalments.

Sorry to see you initially got the typical response when you first posted, being accused of being a fake and bogus etc rather than being welcomed and supported. It is not uncommon for a newbee to get their head shot off as they find the ropes, there is a lot of shooting from the hip from a great assortment of armchair experts, but great to see you ignored that and continued to contribute, were many others would just have logged off! As you can see once a little bit of information is gleaned there are some incredibly knowledgeable, helpful people on this forum plus a huge amount of passionate followers of the mark.

Good luck and congratulations with your car, looking forward to the next update.

cheers Mark

17. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Well said Mark.

Best,

David

18. Brianinthe610

Brianinthe610 Rookie

May 1, 2013
    As a detailer of exotics and classics I am super excited to see this thread build up! I have yet to had the chance to detail one of these but have done several 330 gt 2+2 and 365 gt 2+2 as I am currently working on a '67 330 restoration detail. These older Ferrari's are my favorite! Whatever you intend to do with this beautiful car, just know that this car is very respected in all spectrums of the automotive field as well the jaw dropping crowd pleaser at any place at any time.
    Best wishes on your 330!

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Any news?

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    car has been sold for about $1MM...

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So any more details on it?

22. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You offered $2MM sight unseen (earlier post) and they sold it to someone else for $1MM? That makes no sense...

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    13 miles? the drive from the dealer to home was probably more than that. 13k miles seems more plausible.

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Is this serious, or are you having a joke?

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

A million just isn't worth what it used to be!!!!!!!