348 - What to lokk for 90' 348 | FerrariChat

348 What to lokk for 90' 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by MartinM.no, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MartinM.no

MartinM.no Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Oslo Norway
    Full Name:
    Martin Myhre
    Hello

Looking at a 348 registered in October 1990. I understand the model went through some upgrades during the years such as revised suspension geometry, battery position, alternator, double to single clutch etc. Are there other upgrades or recalls that I should be aware of? Are there any obvious reasons to go for a later car. Car seems to be in very good condition. Only one owner.

Br Martin

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #2 Ferrarium, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    I have October 90 car also Chassis 04139. Suspension pickup points (its just a bracket change) and battery and clutch was change in 92, as was the alternator to 105 amp but that said mine came with the 140 amp upgrade. You will have either the Denso or Delco both can be replaced with upgrades I have a brand new Delco 180 amp in a box I never needed for example. You have the Motronic 2.7. Steering bushing is probably shot thats pretty easy to resolve so i it handles "funny" that's why , the 348 is very precise and if its not its the bushings I replaced all of mine tie rod, ball joint sway bar etc as well as rebuilt the rack. Its dynamite to drive compared to when I bought it and it ony had <13K on the clock. Stuff disintegrates.

Check you http://www.my348.com/ and the main TSB is below. While your in there you should update the chain tensioners etc as well as the timing cover bearing, Hill makes one the OEM one is very failure prone. I put a reference to the other parts to do with the TSB below.

No compelling reason to go newer the changes were not significant, the single can muffler (I prefer the dual myself, I have them both) and the painted skirts are the biggest thing visually mechanically they were essentially the same car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do compression & leakdown and Good luck!

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric

Attached Files:

4. MartinM.no

MartinM.no Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Oslo Norway
    Full Name:
    Martin Myhre
    Ferrarium thanks for response. The car has just had its belts changed during this summer. Will it be neccesary to do the change before doing the belt change in two years time?

Martin

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Well belt change is more like 3-5 years most agree 5 years is right. Check the receipts for the belt change and see if they replaced the belt tensioner bearings with hill bearings or if they were replaced at all. Those need to be replaced the oem ones are not amazing in quality.

The TSB should have evidence of repair in the receipts if it is one owner the TSB was done by the dealers btw. If the bearing in the TSB was not done and starts to go bad you will hear it I understand, its a roller bearing so it has a whine that will get worse. All the other stuff like the timing chain pad and and tensioner pads and timing cover bearing and seal can only happen with engine out. You can wait and have it done then, unfortunately there is no way to tell if the bearings were replaced unless you pull it apart and look unless there is work receipts showing it was done.

Mine was an October car as mentioned and it was NOT done, it was replaces done sometime in late 92, but its Ferrari so even some later ones may have the old bearing who knows. Generally if its a non spider plan on having it checked at some point. Lots of cars go 50K before doing it but upon checking it was basically falling apart, mine was and it only had 12K miles on it.

The starts between LONG inactivity causes all the oil to run off surfaces and they run dry for a wee bit until oil gets back to them, which is why driven cars tens to fare better I suspect. Chain pads get eaten into badly when not driven frequently, I start my car weekly and until the fans come on.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/collections/hill-engineering/tensioner-bearings/pt348-cambelt-tensioner-bearing-set.html

Aside from a few thing that need to be looked after, pulley fences, oil pump bearing, TOB is all that comes to mind actually, all high end cars have a grenade or two in them that is addressable, the 90's 911's the 90's NSX's etc did they all do, the 348 is robust mechanically and are very easy to work on.

6. MartinM.no

MartinM.no Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Oslo Norway
    Full Name:
    Martin Myhre
    Thanks, if bought I will not run more than the three year interval for belt at least. I will ofcourse also check for sevice history. Agree on words that not only Ferrari has bad bits.

Br Martin