What transmission oil could be this? | FerrariChat

What transmission oil could be this?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambio, Jan 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Hello,

I'm changing the oil transmission to this F355 (current owner doesn't have a clue what was the last time was changed and therefore not now what oil was used) but we are using this time REDLINE 75w90 NS. It just me surprised to see such grey thick (cold) fluid comming out of the transmission. We decided to change it because we experienced hard cold shiftings as I think, many owners here as well.

Any thoguhts?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    No idea. But that reminds me of oil with water in it.

phrogs likes this.
  3. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Agreed. I would check the water/oil heat exchanger and make sure that hasn't failed. Also, how does the coolant in the expansion tank look? Any cross contamination there?

Sent from my SM-G900V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    See the results of ASTM High Temperauire Oxidation test. Torco filter patch result shows similar colour. Red Line Synthetic 75w-90 (not mentioned whether it is "NS") didn't do very well either. I would consider oils on the left side of the chart. I also attach the full document (pdf) on various test result of a number of gear oils.

Attached Files:

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    this came out of the gearbox

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I just changed the gearbox oil in my 85 QV. 10 year old valvoline syn 75-90 it was brown, but it looked nothing like the tan color sample of the tested oils posted. You'll never know what it was, just be glad it's out.

7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Exactly, if your heat exchanger is leaking then antifreeze can get in your gear box. Inside the heat exchanger your antifreeze and gear box oil come together separated by just some thin tubes. They definitely fail.

That looks like emulsion to me but I guess could be the oxidation mentioned above?

8. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Yes, thank you, that is clear from the photo that was posted. My point is that a failure at the water/oil exchanger can result in gearbox fluid mixing with coolant and vice versa. If there is concern that this component has failed, along with water in the gearbox there can be oil in the coolant thus the recommendation to evaluate the appearance of the coolant in the epansion tank.

9. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Another clue is the amount of liquid drained, typically there is more than the spec amount drained. Looks like an exchanger fail from here....

2NA likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is a fun job with the engine in. But I noted that your engine is already out.

11. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Mitchell, I don't even want to think about how one would go about accessing the oil lines on the exchanger with the engine in.

That is indeed a recent photo of my engine out of the car with the oil/water heat exchanger being removed. The good news: That particular exchanger had not failed, . . . yet. Lots of grime and scale on the distal ends likely from inadequate coolant change intervals prior to my ownership but no evidence of cross contamination in the coolant or the gearbox fluid. I pulled the unit to get cleaned and pressure tested.

I've included a couple of photos of what the gearbox fluid looked like when it came out along with the coolant from the the block. In case anyone is wondering, after my first coolant change a few years back I installed some quick drain fittings in place of the coolant block plugs to make draining the block a mess free affair going forward.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WATSON and Dave rocks like this.
  12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The colours in the chart I posted (extract from the full report which I also attached) show the colouration left on an 8 micron filter through which 50 ml of the oxidised oil is pushed and the filter catches the sludge created so they are not necessarily of the same intensity as the colour of the oil itself. It is, however, interesting that the only filter patch that is gray is the one for Toco so it is possible that the oil in the Ricambio's transmission is Torco and it is gray because it is full of gray sludge. It could also be due to a leak in the heat exchager but the oil does not really look like a milk shake.

Another point that Ricambio mentioned is that the transmission developed hard cold shifts. In addition to formation of sludge (of different colours), oxidation causes increase in viscosity which will result in harder cold shifts. Torco had rather signifficant viscosity increase after the oxidation test and Red Line was the worst in this respect (see page 10 of the full report).

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Nice and clean. What oil was it and how many miles in the transmission?

14. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Miroljub, I used Redline 75W-90 NS and it had been in service approximately 2 years and 2000 miles.

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That is definitely a nice milkshake of gear oil and engine coolant. Plan on checking/replacing the heat exchanger.

klfpaul and brian.s like this.
  16. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If emulsified with another liquid, shouldn't it show tiny bubbles due to air entrapment in the boundary layer between fluids? Maybe look at it under some magnification to rule out or in any mixture of two fluids. I know this is so with moisture from water but not sure about coolant. Anybody know if coolant also creates the same bubbles in the boundary layer as condensation or water will?

I only see the larger bubbles from the long fall of the fluid, not those smaller ones consistant with emulsification in the main grey areas.

17. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Great idea on the couplings!

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My eye says water/oil mix too. Look familiar? I blew up my motor racing at Indianapolis in October. Does anyone know what solvent cuts that goo? Man it is sticky gooey nasty stuff. It is like a sludge. I don't know how you are going to get that out of all your oil lines. I would replace as much stuff as I could. NASTY!

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I could't agree more!

20. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Yes it is a great idea and a great opportunity Dave. How about putting together a kit to accomplish this miserable chore? I am sure there are a number of us that would be interested in purchasing one. Just a thought. :)

21. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    For the OP. If that was my oil I would send it out to one of the firms that does analysis to try and find out what is in that oil. It sure doen't look good to say the least.

phrogs likes this.
  22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I'll buy one

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I appreciate that but looks like it's already available so no need to reinvent the wheel. Ettore - can you post details please?

24. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I rarely catch a subliminal message ........
    But I got this one ;)
    Hint Hint

25. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Prestone 50/50 mix with Valvoline = chocolate milk.