What was the first "exotic" you saw as a kid that started your passion? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What was the first "exotic" you saw as a kid that started your passion?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Prugna 328, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A new 4 headlight 330 2+2, mid 1960's. Not too exotic by today's standards but compared to the family '63 4-door Buick Electra, it was a spaceship.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Testarossa.

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    1975. Couldn't drive yet, but in Edmunds New Car prices they had the 308gt4. All powerful and clean looking, hunkered down. Other marques had multiple models, but here was one amazing car. And the price! Wow, could anyone actually afford that!?

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    One day (when I was 7 or 8 YO) we were on our way down White Oak Avenue when a white Daytona Spider just plain ripped up the other way. Since then, whenever I go down that street, I still hope to see it again.

DL

5. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    When I was 7 or 8, (I'm 15 now) my dad and I were in the car going across a bridge since we lived off the island of Montreal, and this red 308GTS flew by us and cut us off, I didn't really care because it was a Ferrari, and it was going fast and it sounded REALLY good. Then in 98 when I was 10 or so my uncle gave me 3 issues of Car & Driver, I still have them today, and I've read them front to back at least 15 times each. Also, there is a black 456GT in one of the issues with a tan interior, that helped for the Ferrari end of it.

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The first one that I saw in person was a fly yellow Ferrari 246 Dino that was parked right in front of the High School that I went to. It belonged to an infamous local Chev. car dealer (Dick Balch) who was giving a business speech to the DECA class that day. I had never seen a Ferrari in person before, and I was just floored by that Dino. What a beautiful car!

7. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    int was 1983 I thing my father showed me the movie CannonBall Run and I was hooked

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It wasn't one it was a combination of them. My dad's office is in Ardmore,PA and Algar is right down lancaster ave from it. When I was younger and would go to work with him sometimes when I had off from school we would always driveby and sometimes stop in Algar. I still like driving by at night when they have all the indirect lights on. The cars look awesome.
    Erik

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    the earliest exotic related memeory i have is my dads Mondial, when we both went to pick it at the dealer ..i think i was already passionated ( i was 4 yo ) but thats the earliest i can come up with.

10. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    it was a beautiful red dino i was with my father and asked him what it was? he told me a Ferrari. i told him i was going to have one of those things one day and he said "yeah right!" Now he loves to drive my 308.

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Pictures of Dad's Superbird as a newlywed have me salivating. Mom made him sell it

But as a kid, I loved my neighbor's '70 Charger R/T : tan/brown exterior & cream interior. He was from the deep south. Bet he cried when his yankee wife wrapped it around a pole.

I also busted my chops near the same summer to have my parents by me a Corgi '70 Jag 2+2 Type E. I still have that model.

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Gary, you dog! Did you go to Federal Way High School? I was class of '70. Of course I remember Dick Balch and his yellow Dino. I can remember driving down to Redondo in my Fiat 1100 and waiting for him to come screaming by in his Dino. I later worked for him, when his Chevy dealership was about to go out of business. He didn't want to turn the franchise back to Chevy, so he needed to show that he had a service and parts department. I was the service department, I think. And I got to feed Duffy Shepard, and clean out his pen. When irate customers called, we asked if they wanted to speak with Duffy Shepard (woof!).

My first exotic was a Jaguar XKE, when I was a paperboy and one of the houses in my neighborhood had one in the driveway. My first auto show in Seattle had a GT40, Ferraris, Mangusta, Marcos, Toyota 2000GT, etc. And Pete Lovely's Lotus 49. I worked for him also, years later.

13. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    A white Countach and this would be in the early 80s I think.

I also loved:
    The black Countach in Cannonball Run,
    Magnum's 3x8 (what was it?)
    and that thing that The Dukes of Hazzard drove (Dodge Charger?)

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I dont remember my first exotic car. But back in elementary school I had a poster of an F40. Soon later I saw one in person at Ferrari of Houston and they even let me sit in it!

I also remember a red 308 parked in front of this train car diner with a gravel/dirt parking lot in Houston.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    In the early/mid 70s, our neighbor always drove Porsches but in unusual colors like orange or brown. I knew they were cool cars, but my blood didn't really get going until I first saw the 308. That was it.

16. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    from as far back as i can remember there was only 3 exotics i always wanted.
    1) a ferrari 308. mostly because my dad loved magnum pi and he loved the 308's.
    2) testarossa. because my dad also loved miami vise. but i loved the white testarossa.
    3) lamborghini countach QV500S. i still have posters of black QV's.

at 23 i have the 308. now working on the testarossa. and will someday complete the trio.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    When I was 10 or so, we went to a "car show" that was at the mall - very small and rather lame (was in an unleased store space). But there was a 308 there I couldn't keep away from!

The REAL firestarter that ignited the blaze of my Ferrari obsession though, was when I met a dot-commer in Seattle (SJ) who let me come over and see his Ferraris, and then took me for a great ride in a 348 Spyder. Since then, I've been a man possessed to own one!

18. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I remember back ot the early 70's when I was 5 or 6 years old, I knew there was something special about that black 911 that wld pass our house. We lived at the bottom of a hill, and said Porsche wld always downshift and slowly wind the engine to a stop. That air-cooled motor sounded so different from the big Caddy V8's my parents drove. Around the same time, my Dad's buddy wld bring his Bora over and rev the engine for me - I was hooked!

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I was in Europe in the Soutwest of France. The hotel I was staying at had a book in their library on Jaguars. The last section had the most recent Jaguar - the XJ220. I loved it. I looked at the pictures for ages.

From France, we went to England. I saw an ad for Beaulieu automotive museum - http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/ - and what did they have, but an XJ220. I went and saw it in person. The rest is history... :)

20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've seen pictures of the Lotus Europa, Lamborghini Countach, and Ferrari Daytona as a child. The Countach was the most impressive until I saw a 1984 issue of Car and Driver Magazine with the Ferrari 288 GTO, and then the TR. Been a Ferrari fan since.

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It was 1970 (I was 11) and my dad took me to the NY auto show....I saw the Ferrari stand and of course all the cars were roped off and no one was getting close....but one of the guys saw me drooling and let me back to sit in a yellow Daytona coupe....About 2 weeks later I was on my bike on a Sunday Morning and I heard this cool sound driving through the woods on this windy road. It turned out to be a yellow 275 GTB/4.

After both of those incidents I was hooked.

Ciao

Dino

22. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Two cars far ahead of the all:

Ferrari 308 and Lamborghini Countach.

I really thing that they tstill are the best looking cars ever produced.

Ciao

Eugenio

23. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Black Ferrari 308 GTS. Not sure what year it was but it had some fat rear tires on it. I was about 10 so that means it was a 79 or 78. Since then I have wanted a black 308. And now I have one :)

24. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    OK kids, I'm going to show my age. In 1961, I was at the races in Elkhart Lake, WI, and saw a Bocar Stiletto ( anyone remember that car ).
    I though I would cream my pants! Have never seen one since.

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    There is no one here who can service it, so hopefully it will continue to be as trouble free as it has been the first 6 years of its life.

As for roads, there are some pretty cool roads, one 5 mile stretch for going full blast, bust some very cool twist, windy mountain roads.