What was the Ford V8 installed in the DeTomaso Guara? | FerrariChat

What was the Ford V8 installed in the DeTomaso Guara?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Aug 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    This was he design he "borrowed" from Maserati who did not want to continue building it when they bought Maserati. I read early Guaràs got their power from a BMW-sourced 279-horsepower 4.0-liter V8, the same engine found in the 840ci coupe of the same era, but here, it was paired to a six-speed manual r Later versions of the car dropped this engine for supercharged V8 from Ford. Which size engine from what country? What bamd supercharger. and anybody got hp. rating?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hello Mr Bitzman.
    I’ve just had a look at my catalogue from the London RM sale in 2018 where there was a purple Guara on the block. the description says earlier cars had BMW M60B40 engines modified in Italy with different timing belt path and mated to 6 speed Getrag ‘box. 282 bhp output.

Further web searches claim:

after 1998 til 2004 a switch to Canadian sourced Ford visteon and ZF 6 speed. Peak power 305 bhp and torque 300 lbft.

there were rumours of forced induction just before the company folded apparently, but no examples produced.

Hope that sheds a bit more light.

best to all.
    Mark

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I found a listing for a Visteon coil for Ford Taurus

Year Make Model Trim Engine
    SHO 1999 Ford Taurus SHO Sedan 4-Door 3.4L 207Cu. In. V8 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated

Maybe that was the engine made by Yamaha for Ford.

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Have no idea about which Ford engine but got to see the original with the BMW engine run at Pocono numerous times, owned by Joe Moore. The performance was not terribly impressive but it made a lot of noise. Joe was always a big fan of De Tomaso cars. But even before that De Tomaso brought several street version examples to Le Bella Machinna de Italia in cooperation with former USA Maserati chief George Garbutt so as to gauge any American interest. They never came.

The car you reference from Maserati are actually two cars. A proposal for a new super car the Chubasco portions of which can be seen at the Panini museum and the limited edition race series car known as the Barchetta.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1991-maserati-barchetta-corsa-1-of-17.527347/

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #5 italiancars, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    George had told me that he had discussions with DeTomaso about building a short run of “track only” Guaras after his experience at the event. It’s my understanding that one car was built intended for Pocono, the Guara Barchetta prototype. Like so many DeTomaso projects it never had the follow through as DeTomaso’s focus went on to the Bigua/Mangusta ll and the deal with the Qvale family.

Add to that DeTomaso had suffered a stroke that left him partially paralyzed, blind in one eye and only able to speak softly. (I was told the mind was still there.) in the end I believe most of the intend run of “Pocono” Barchettas were built, but none ever made it to Pocono.

6. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name: