What was the Last Analog Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What was the Last Analog Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sixcarbs, Apr 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What was the Last Analog Ferrari?

1. 250 GT SWB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 275 GTB (All versions including 4-cams)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 365 GTB/4 Daytona

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. 512 BB

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. 512 BBi

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Testarossa/512TR/F512M

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. 308 Carb Cars

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. 308/328 (Fuel Injected)

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  9. 355

24 vote(s)
    23.8%
  10. 360

15 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree with this.

I’m not sure it matters, though.

Matt

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Suprised not to see the tr here...not carburated yes but really analog and has nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    On the 348 steering transmssion, suspesion, the only part not techinaly speakign is the iniction, and we have had injected cars since the 50's.

The earlier ferrari FI systems are eletric but mechanical in nature ie not electronic. But thats splitting hairs. the rub against EFI is depending on conditions they dont work consistently, ie trottle positions and response varies. The efi systems tuned for emissions can also feel lazy.

What makes carbs and some FI (not emissions efi) systems so good is when you hit the gas lots of fuel is ineficiently dumped into the system and the engine wakes up in certain way, plus arguably indiction noise. Webbers were always lauded for their precision in fueling. A Fi system can have all these positive features of webbers, although modern computer driven efi mostly does not for emissions reasons, however can be mapped to perform the "right" way, youll just never find that in an out the box car.

PS of various forms is a filter. Once again though an electric system could porvude assistance for parking(helpful with wide tores) and then become totaly absent, a number of classics get retrofitted this s way. But production cars do not have this option. We could also say modern rubber due to its width necessitates some form of Ps and by definition its width works against feel..

Whats anologue was brought heavily home to me when takign the BBi out this weekend fir its first spring run. I was reminded what a pleasure it is to controll a machine where very component you touch gives you some form of undiluted feedback. From the sound which is not faked or going from muted to obnoxious with a computer controlled exhaust flap, but rather rises tunefully in tandem with throttle input. To a steering which reads the road like a phonograph needle reads vinyl(no ps can do this). To pedals that are actualy conneceted to components of the car, wholly dependant on your coodination and skill.
    A car you can drive barefoot and feel the machine through the pedals.
    A car that can go fast, but require you to work for your speed. you are the computer each and every input goes through you, nothing is sythesiszed, and the car is giving you multiple inputs.

Personally I wouldnt disqualify ABS because its intervention is at the very end of the threshold so its not present and it does not filter.. Abs to me is more like seatbelts, a safety feature at the end of the figurative road. However I do see the point because abs intervenes and is thus the progenator of the nanny car.

The Tr is an inetrresting case. It is one of the first F cars cars designed very much with legislation and comfort functions at the fore. Its shape is dictated by legislation, as are a number of features. However while its design may not be to evryones taste pnin did a great job of going outside the box to deal with legislation, so the shape is maybe even more daring than would otherwise be the case. Its also based on a BB under the skin, so one may call a Tr a more civilzed BB. Given that the Bb was considered too uncivilized compared to the daytona, the Tr is still anologue, but its also a transitional car, we can see the direction its going.

the 550 while in the image of ferraris of old is clearly a break. Yes the anologue line is grey, but the 550 is clearly on one side, whereas the 348/355 might arguably be in the grey zone.

Bottom line, when you make cars easy to use, easy in traffic, they loose a lot. Yet sales rise because as long as you can show improved "performance" metrics.

Rawness, feedback and unfiltered directness are all components of an anolog car. The new NSX is the opposite. Maybe anologue is the wrong term, maybe its unfiltered, because when you drive thats what counts.

Sadly as Hp rises and euro legislation motorcycles are going the same way. Wheelie control, you opent he taps and the computer holds its a 30 degrees.

Dolcevita likes this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    IMO, 348. (becasue I have one)

If it doesn't need an SD1,2,3...21 or Leo to reset something (i.e F1 clutch wear), it's analog.

Basically, a guy in his garage can fix it without a multi thousand dollar computer to help.

sjd

5. Natkingcolebasket69

I would argue that the last one is the f40, potentially f50.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I votet for the testarossa, not the 512 TR and not the 512M
    the testarossa is the last car with a simple none electronic K-jetronic, so no ECU needed, no ABS, only electronic ignition, but this the 365 GT4 BB already had also
    daytona I don`t know, never had one in my garage. but if also electronic ignition then the 275 GTB is the last analog F

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    The F50 had the trick electronic suspension I think like the 355, but quite primitive by today's standards. If you use driver interaction as the criteria, then 348 seems like the last of the analogs.

Used to have one a 348 (with the suspension mod). A real ripper of a car. Shame about the reputation, thanks to Luca at least partiy.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Personally I thought it was the 348

9. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Whichever one was the last without ABS and traction control.

I started driving in the early 80s before these were widespread. I think they are the biggest difference between today’s cars and what came before.

My first car was an ‘82 5.0 Capri with 157hp. It died in a 1 car accident from accelerating too fast, spinning and going off road through a construction site. We flipped end over end 3 times. In a car that had 157hp!

This was a carb car. 4 years later Ford made the first injected Mustang. Didn’t make much difference in the day to day driving. I had one of those too. For me carb vs injected didn’t make much difference.

Most of us have been driving cars with traction control and ABS so long now that we’d have to learn completely new driving habits if it went away. Is there any other technology that has made as much difference in the driving experience?

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The 365GTC/4 had power steering. Otherwise, a long way from analog, I would say.

11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Only thing I really care about is the driving feel, and in that case the 348 is the last analog feeling Ferrari. That doesn’t mean, say, a Challenge Stradale isn’t fun, just different. My 575 is simply awesome and I love it DEARLY, but it clearly doesn’t posses the same level of involvement.

ABS and some engine ECUs do little to rob the 348 of an analog experience. After the 348, the cars just took a much different path, IMO greater than at any point prior regardless of what tech improvements were made. FWIW, I agree with the early 308s being the last _technically_ analog cars.

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree. Analog vs digital braking (start at 3min mark) :D

13. Natkingcolebasket69

I have no idea why the 348 is so high on that list. The f40 , and the testarossa are at least as analog .
    Could argue the. 92 512 tr with no abs is the last analog, plus the sound is amazing.

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Funny how a vast majority of us here keep saying the 348, and yet—for some reason—it is still not one of the choices.

Shows how flawed that list was. :) 360!?! Come on. :)

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You could, but the 348 production lasted another couple years past that point....which is why people keep saying it’s “the last”. The Testarossa and the F40 were out of production by then.

BUT, the 512TR and the 512M kept going for a year or so after the 348, so maybe those two are the real last.

IMHO, the suspension disqualifies the F50.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  17. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Tesla.... obviously

On a serious note, I do miss analog vehicles. I do not like climate control, auto wipers, anything related to an auto transmission. Aside from the safety offered by crumple zones and airbags in modern vehicles, I do wish some vehicles would remain at least a bit more mechanical and less electrical. That is where until recently, motorcycles were very much analog.... even some sportbike models had carbs up to 2005 ish. Some dirt bikes still have carbs.

18. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Let’s not forget the Mondial side of things, to wit: the Mondial 8, Q.V., 3.2, and the “t” (348).

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  19. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Oh man, my 360 is very clearly not the last analog model IMO, it has many additional electronic aids that my Lotus hasn't got, like steering aid, abs, braking aid, limited slip differential, no aircon, no power windows, hand move the side mirrors if you need to move them around, etc... etc... whilst the Rover 1.8l isn't carbed, it's still the most analog car I've owned (model year 2001). It's fun tho', but I still vastly prefer the 360.

paulchua likes this.