What was your largest repair bill? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What was your largest repair bill?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Etcetera, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Not mine, but a 456 at FoD has a weird noise in the engine, but owner's spouse drove it home. Busted valve which led to $45K engine overhaul. Dave Helms might remember it.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm having Algar do the work. Gave them a budget, told them to scream if we get close.

They have allowed me to buy the parts, no extra charge on labor even with my parts. $90/hr, we need about another 15-20 hrs to button the car up.

So, I saved some pretty serious bucks buying exhaust, valves, pistons, etc, wothout the standard Ferrari markup.

But, all in all, I will certainly fall under $20K

I think $25K is excessive, you can buy the whole engine for less than that.

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    A little over $2k when I was hit by a snow plow in my Volvo S40 when I was stopped at a light last winter..

4. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    My original estimate was $16,000.00 so I said go ahead. Insurance Co. agreed.
    As things progressed, the project got more and more expensive, leading to the final price of $44,000.oo. At that point it got down to the insurance Co. paying the repair bill, and I had to give the car to the insurance Co. leaving me with nothing. The insurance Co. negotiated the bill down to $38,000.00 which was the insured value of the car, and I got to keep the car.

5. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Took my 355 Spider in a couple of years ago and was told that it's common for 355s to have one of their 2 exhaust manifolds (I think that was the wording he used) go faulty. He was very sorry to tell me that both of mine were shot. Each one cost $4k, plus $1k in labor, so $9k total.

6. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Ooops, sorry about the double post, I clicked back on my browser and got the "Page has expired" page, so I hit reload and it posted again what I posted earlier. If a moderator sees this, please remove this and the above post. Thanks.

7. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Bloody hell! What was he buying to get over 74 grand in parts?! Was it being highly modified, or was it actually a wreck?

I've heard those Mustang Cobra's are oversteer beasts, have fun with it. ;)

8. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    $17,005 to rebuild transmission, paint front spoiler, recharge air, replaced belts (although they were replace several months prior- might as well get 7 more months worth of time till the next replacement), and a few other minor items. On a TESTAROSSA.

9. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    32,000 to replace the engine on a 2001 c32 amg mercedes that threw a rod at 9200mi.

thank god for the mercedes warranty!