What watch are you wearing today? | Page 748 | FerrariChat

What watch are you wearing today?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by VTChris, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m surprised that they wouldn’t supply one with polished links, especially since it must be in their catalog if they put them on your other watches, or did you have the links polished by a jeweler?

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The 16xxx series Datejusts did not have center polished links on the Oyster bracelet, only on the Jubilee. They started doing the high polish on Oyster bracelets on the 116xxx series though.

Shorn355 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No- it's interesting and typically quirky (but cool) Rolex- and a lot of people dont know this- They will only replace components that were originally offered- so my SS Daytona and Batman obviously came with bracelets with polished center links- The DJ did/could not- Hence the only options being SS Jubilee or SS base Oyster-

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never, EVER, send your Rolex back to Rolex. There are many, many, independents who understand the history, collectors, and customizers, way better than Rolex ever will. ABC, LA, Ridley (who is FedEx’ing me back a piece as we speak), just to name a few.

definitelysomeday likes this.
  6. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I just got mine (16710) back from Ridley last month. Super easy guy to deal with and kept me updated on the whole process. Watch has been running great since

dstacy likes this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I love this. I have never owned a Rolex mainly because they have never made a watch big enough for my wrist. I have to get me one of these, but I don’t have any Rolex connections. Does anyone have any suggestions/leads/contacts?

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have contacts in Colorado but not sure if that helps much. FWIW I would suggest finding your local/close authorized Rolex dealer (AD) and simply walk in and spend some time with whoever the Rolex point person/expert is in the store. Let him/her know you are interested in a Sea Dweller and even if you know or have done your own research on it let him/her explain it and educate you on the unique features (many and cool) and some history of it - This does a few things - 1) it builds a relationship and shows you are actually/both knowledgeable and/or interested in the actual watch - not just buying a bauble - 2) as this relationship develops and you get on a first-name basis you are much more likely to get on a list and in a preferable position - 3) once the relationship is developed it is not unheard of for the AD to get a watch in and the next person on the list passes - in which case they might contact the person who has a relationship before "the next person on the list".

Lastly, given that the secondary Rolex market is coming back to sanity and the supply/demand balance is also starting to return to normal - coupled with the fact that the Sea Dweller is not for everyone (as opposed to a SS Submariner for example) it is at least possible they could order you one or have one on the way in without a committed buyer - at least worth asking as part of the relationship building.

Just my .02 - Good luck - Personally I think they are interesting and fantastic watches and I, too have big hands/wrists so lean toward the larger Rolex Sport (Professional) watches so the SD is attractive to me.

Good luck - Cheers :)

Thecadster likes this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    ROMO, Robb, flat_plane_eddie and 5 others like this.
  10. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Ultralab, I.T. Guy, rmlovett1 and 6 others like this.
  11. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    ROMO, I.T. Guy, rmlovett1 and 11 others like this.
  12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Check out out the James Cameron Deep Sea Dweller, it's big enough to work for you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ROMO, rmlovett1, Flea7 and 8 others like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Watch market for what I'm interested is still hot. I look at Chrono every so often and pricing is still above list. I'm losing my interest these days, getting tired of the BS with dealers.

Robb likes this.
  15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Agreed - I wouldn't mind another Rolex or two, but I am losing interest fast. It doesn't help that I lost my local dealer.

MDS

MWHC4S likes this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s a beautiful watch, but it’s only 44 mm. Most of my sport watches are 47 mm or larger. I have massive wrists, and 44 mm sport watches get completely swallowed up.

17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
  18. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
  19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I haven't...50mm to me is too big. I do like that it's titanium

20. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
  21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Is anyone seriously planning to go down 12,800 feet below sea level? Really? You'll be turned into jello. And if you are in some sort of diving bell or submarine, you won't need that watch...any watch will do. All those people with "huge" wrists, please post pictures. Unless your hand is like Shaq O'Neal's feet, you don't need anything over 40 mm. And there isn't a watch being made with a movement that big...it's all show.

willrace and jsa330 like this.
  22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ahhhh, you're no fun John:(.............:D

Cigarzman and E60 M5 like this.
  23. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
  24. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If I wore a 47 I would be banging it on everything I walked by. ****, you can barely fit through a door way as it is. :)

Thecadster likes this.