What will be the next model to go up in value? The 599? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What will be the next model to go up in value? The 599?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by woody byrd, Mar 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had a poster of the Berlinetta Boxer in my bedroom in high school. Yellow over black. Drove chrome yellow '74 X1/9.

Closest I could get. :)

The TR was a letdown to me. The 512 BB was so beautiful. TR not so much.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, I need a new drug.

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Maybe none of them. Maybe they have all peaked.

Many of them have had quite a run up already. And they make too many of the new cars.

4. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    In reguards to the 599 I see only the GTO and the Aperta going up in value in the near future. The regular model has nothing that is special or that sets it apart as far as superior to the F12 which in my opinion is everything a 599 is only much much better.

My take on the value of cars is similar to my perspective of watches. Ferraris will never crash or be worthless for the same reason Rolex or Patek will never be worthless ... because of the brand and history. There are certain cars that are slow by today's standards but put a smile on your face due to the shakes sounds rattles that bring back memories or help us fulfill some sort of fantasy. (Why else do some people buy these track road/cars and only have a couple hundred miles on them.) but o live out some sort of dream or fantasy. But there are certain models which alter the industry and make a notch in history like a mclaren F1 or a F40 or 250GTO similar to a Paul Newman Daytona or Patek owned by the Sheik.

Robb, southnc and Bundy like this.
  5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Whoever said they've never heard of someone bragging about the single disc clutch has never never driven one of the new DCT cars. If you think manual cars really give a driving experience then a single disc clutch gives wayyyyyy more driving experience than a DCT that shifts instantly and you feel nothing. When I drove a new 812 you literally could not feel a shift, I felt like I was in a rolls royce ghost. It was so smooth, docile almost you forget you're riding in a Ferrari. I want my Ferrari to rumble all the time and I want to feel the gears shift and you do in cars like the 599 and 575 even though they may not be manuals. The new cars are awesome but they are way too tame for me.

Makuono, nicholasn and G. Pepper like this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I can see thinking that the F12 is too civilized. I'm going to see where 599 and 612 prices are in a couple three years and then decide. Side glance at the FF.

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    G check out my early post and then a Ferrari tech replied to it saying he agrees on my dealers statement saying the 599 would be too complex and expensive to keep running down the road.....

8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Interesting. Did he have the same opinion of the 612? I look at the 599 and 612 as the last V12's I'm interested in.

9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Quite an interesting statement

10. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    I too am considering the purchase of a nice 612, and was wondering about the cost of maintenance for the long haul. I had a new 612 back in 07 and still really like the lines of that car. I currently have a 458 Spider, and just took delivery of my new 488 gtb. I will be passing that one on when my new spider comes in this summer, but wo uhh I'd still like to add a OTO if the right one becomes available.

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    As you know, it is the same motor as in the 575, design wise, so you have the belt service expense, but if you sort those motors out, they can be made perfectly reliable, and tuning wise, they are quite under stressed. It's the electronics that can be an expensive pain to get right. I'm going to be very picky about which 612 (Or 599) I get for that reason.

12. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    I had an 03 575M when new, and the car was bullet proof at the time, although a belt service in my area at the dealer was about$6k. Have there been many electrical gremlins on the 612's that anyone here can shed some light on, and what kind of maintenance issues you've come across?

13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm going by sorting out an eleven year old 456M, which is a bit simpler than the 612 (Same type of V12 too, but with less displacement). I had to replace the ECU that controlled the door locks and windows, and another that controlled the climate control system. They were still available from Ferrari back then, but they were very pricy. When those are no longer available, what are you going to do? The contacts corrode due to moisture condensation. If you get in there for any reason, you should pull them and clean the contacts (Pencil erasers work great), because when they're corroded beyond functioning, they're junk.

The 612 was the first Ferrari with a screen, so it's another level of complex. Got to get one that is electrically sorted, or go dumpster diving for parts from wrecks.

I don't see these cars being viable long term without some sort of aftermarket solution for the electrical systems. I'm sure that will happen if there's enough money in it. I know a guy who reverse engineered thirty year old Synclavier control cards, and has them manufactured to his specifications in China. The same thing could be done with Ferrari ECU's. If I had the expertise, I'd do it, because I know there's going to be a market.

14. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    Sounds like another new business opportunity! Although now that Ferrari has gone public, I wouldn't be surprised if they started another division to rape people over replacement parts. It will potentially be a huge source of additional revenue, even if it was outsourced to China.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    One car I had, had an ecu go bad....it began with a leaky capacitor..,that causes a short that fries the board (it overheats, smokes and delaminates it).at that point, it’s pretty much junk. If this were a common enough problem with these ecu’s, I suppose a preventative measure could be to replace the old caps before they leak.

flat_plane_eddie and G. Pepper like this.
  16. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    From an electrical point of view only the dash screen on the 612 seems to be the part that has any reputation for failure. Whilst Ferrari charges for a whole new instrument panel (at a cost of something like $10K) apparently there is a shop in the US that can repair the board for around $2000). Yes you get occasional reports of minor electric components going wrong but nothing consistent AFAIK.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's good to know, thanks. What I would do in that situation - if Ferrari still had the part - is to buy both a new instrument panel and have the original repaired. That way I'd have a new one and a spare. I won't buy a 612 - or 599 - until I find the right one, and then I plan to keep it.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    When I had my Maranello, I couldn't get the damn CEL to stay off. Finally, the service manager gave me a piece of black tape. Problem solved.

BTW, you know it is bad luck to have everything working 100% in a Ferrari? The gods do not like that. You need to have at least one thing wrong to keep them happy.

19. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Latest issue of Excellence magazine {Porsche} has an advert for rebuilding and exchange for ECUs etc. Not sure if it just for Porsche but looks like someone sees the light. "If you build it they will come". Mike

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is good news. Insecurity about failing ECU's is always on my mind with the post-analog cars.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Watch. Ferrari will sue em.

G. Pepper likes this.